Romo bashing?

big_poppa

WOW this amazes me, fans and haters alike really amaze me. After week one most people stated that Romo had turned the corner, he had matured in the offseason, and he was ready to be 'the guy'. Now, after a three pick night, one that he did look terrible in, he is garbage once again. WOW!!!

I wonder if he comes out Monday night and slings 5 tds if you all will be talking MVP of the league. It is the 2nd freakin week of the season. Most of you on here are Skins fans, how about worrying that your team barely, and I mean barely squeaked by the Rams the other day. I am a football fan looooong before I am a Cowboys fan, I love the game. However, certain things do get under my skin. This just happens to be one of them. How do people change their perception of a player from week to week?

With all of that being said, here is my two cents on Tony Romo. I think he is the 'BEST' option that the Cowboys have at Quarterback right now. He is our quarterback and will be for this season, next season, and probably the season after as well. Do I think he can win the 'Big Games', yes I do, he has numerous times already. Why is it that a game is only 'BIG' when the Cowboys lose it? I feel that every game is a 'BIG' game. I mean, you only have 16 of them in a season, you don't have much room for error. The bobbled snap at Seattle, tough break, I know. But he had a great game until that moment. The pick in the End Zone against the Giants, come on now. He had three key drops by receivers that day that you could chalk that loss up to. Because he forced a throw into the end zone as time expired and it was picked, he lost the game for us? Please!!! Lastly, the Eagles last year, WE SUCKED!!! Every player on the team got the crap kicked out of them. How could that be solely Romo's fault?

The fact of the matter is, any true football fan out there knows that when push comes to shove, he is still in the top third of current NFL quarterbacks. You want to compare Jason Campbell to him, come on now, seriously? Jason can stand flat footed and throw the ball 70 yards but couldn't throw a ten yard out if his life depended on it. Campbell looks totally lost on a football field, almost like he has no idea why he is even out there. Romo may never win a Super Bowl in his carrer, I agree with that. I also agree that the Cowboys are not as good of a team as what they would like to think they are. I do not however chalk that up to who their QB is. We have a fat/slow line that gets so exhausted by the fourth quarter the blow assignments left and right. We have some of the worst DB's in the league, and our Head Coach is the biggest pansy I have ever seen.

But because my QB had an off night, it is all his fault I guess. Have fun Skins fans, I like that you are more concerned by my QB's play than that of your own. I have my own opinion of why that is. You wish you had him!!! :1bdz:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Big Poppa, this is a topic of discussion just like many others. Many fans have chimed in here, some being Skins fans. I don't believe anyone is worried about your QB, it just happens to be the topic at hand.

Romo does choke in the big games, you can't deny that. In December he's horrid. In the playoff's he alwasy seems to make at least a few bone-headed moves.

Otter

Nothing to see here
WOW this amazes me, fans and haters alike really amaze me. After week one most people stated that Romo had turned the corner, he had matured in the offseason, and he was ready to be 'the guy'. Now, after a three pick night, one that he did look terrible in, he is garbage once again. WOW!!!

I wonder if he comes out Monday night and slings 5 tds if you all will be talking MVP of the league. It is the 2nd freakin week of the season. Most of you on here are Skins fans, how about worrying that your team barely, and I mean barely squeaked by the Rams the other day. I am a football fan looooong before I am a Cowboys fan, I love the game. However, certain things do get under my skin. This just happens to be one of them. How do people change their perception of a player from week to week?

With all of that being said, here is my two cents on Tony Romo. I think he is the 'BEST' option that the Cowboys have at Quarterback right now. He is our quarterback and will be for this season, next season, and probably the season after as well. Do I think he can win the 'Big Games', yes I do, he has numerous times already. Why is it that a game is only 'BIG' when the Cowboys lose it? I feel that every game is a 'BIG' game. I mean, you only have 16 of them in a season, you don't have much room for error. The bobbled snap at Seattle, tough break, I know. But he had a great game until that moment. The pick in the End Zone against the Giants, come on now. He had three key drops by receivers that day that you could chalk that loss up to. Because he forced a throw into the end zone as time expired and it was picked, he lost the game for us? Please!!! Lastly, the Eagles last year, WE SUCKED!!! Every player on the team got the crap kicked out of them. How could that be solely Romo's fault?

The fact of the matter is, any true football fan out there knows that when push comes to shove, he is still in the top third of current NFL quarterbacks. You want to compare Jason Campbell to him, come on now, seriously? Jason can stand flat footed and throw the ball 70 yards but couldn't throw a ten yard out if his life depended on it. Campbell looks totally lost on a football field, almost like he has no idea why he is even out there. Romo may never win a Super Bowl in his carrer, I agree with that. I also agree that the Cowboys are not as good of a team as what they would like to think they are. I do not however chalk that up to who their QB is. We have a fat/slow line that gets so exhausted by the fourth quarter the blow assignments left and right. We have some of the worst DB's in the league, and our Head Coach is the biggest pansy I have ever seen.

But because my QB had an off night, it is all his fault I guess. Have fun Skins fans, I like that you are more concerned by my QB's play than that of your own. I have my own opinion of why that is. You wish you had him!!! :1bdz:

:jerry::cds:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

And you figured this out how? From when I said as much? :lol:

Beta84

They're out to get us

:killingme:killingme:killingme Someone, take off his Cowboy blinders! This dude is blind! :killingme:killingme:killingme

I'm not a Skins fan. I just know that Romo was overrated, along with the rest of the nation. Like I said, there was a poll on ESPN.com (you know, a website for SPORTS FANS) that asked if Romo would ever lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win. ***85%*** of the country voted no, INCLUDING the great state of Texas. It has nothing to do with the rest of the team that he has this season, the question was about ROMO! So don't say that "true Football fans" know Romo is in the top third of the league as a QB, because any of those guys in the top 3rd would lead their team to a Super Bowl win. Really the top half of QBs in the league could probably do that.

I really, really, really DONT wish that Romo was on my team. I bet Kenny Phillips doesn't either. :jet:

angelbaby

Looks like everyone has an opinion on Romo....

Critics Are Right: Phony Romo a Bust
Posted Sep 24, 2009 10:00AM By Jay Mariotti (RSS feed)

I am at a newsstand, staring at the cover of a gossip magazine. On it is a photo of Jessica Simpson, lamenting the breakup of her relationship with Tony Romo and gushing that she wants him back. Except the cover refers to him simply as "Tony,'' which is absurd in that it assumes "Tony'' is a major figure in Americana when, in fact, he's an erratic and overhyped quarterback who might be benched before you can say Daisy Dukes.

Seldom do I agree with the knee-jerk opinions of retired athletes, many of whom are bitter cusses plagued by Contract Envy, Media Envy and other jealousies centered around today's stars. But when it comes to First-Name-Basis Tony, who continues to fluctuate wildly in his fourth season as an NFL starter while smoother operators such as Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco excel as sophomores, it's hard to disagree with the harsh assessments of Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman. Considering all are Hall of Famers who've won Super Bowl rings when Romo has yet to win a playoff game, they have the credibility necessary to criticize Romo's considerable underachievement in one of pro football's most scrutinized jobs, QB of the Dallas Cowboys. And as each periodically weighs in, I find myself nodding at just about every shot taken at Jessica's ex.

"I don't know why on God's Earth Tony Romo has been anointed a superstar in the National Football League," Dorsett said in a FOX Sports Radio interview. "Tony is very young in his career. Not to say you can't be young in your career and be a superstar because you've got one up there in Minnesota in Adrian Peterson. But the thing is this: You have a guy who hasn't done much, and quarterbacks in the NFL, most of them go through this growing curve. He hasn't gone through that growing curve, but he was anointed this great player all of a sudden. Now he's having to live up to that. And obviously Tony has some deficiencies ... I think the media has given him too much credit for doing nothing. He hasn't done anything really in the NFL to deserve all the recognition and visibility he's gotten so far."

Bravo.

""I think things happened so quickly for Tony -- in terms of obscurity to, all of a sudden, the national spotlight -- that he hasn't fully grasped what being the Cowboys quarterback is all about," Aikman said in the offseason.

Smith is challenging Romo to be a better leader, accusing him of not "demanding excellence'' from teammates. "I never saw him go snatch somebody up, and say, 'Hey, we can't win like this. We can't have guys jumping offsides. I can't have [a defender] coming at me unabated. Who is making the mistakes up front? Why aren't you picking this guy up? This is not going down this way. If you can't get your job done, get off the football field,' " he said.

Their reactions are far more severe than his own. After every stumble -- nine times, he has had passer ratings of under 60 -- he flips his cap into backward mode and says he'll try better the next time. "I'm sorry that I wasn't able to play up to the level the rest of the other guys did," Romo said Sunday. "I have to get better at the mistakes I made and I will."

It's undeniable that Romo, as the Cowboys QB and by virtue of some strong performances in less-pressurized moments, has been anointed by the media before proving he deserves top billing. Remember, he emerged from obscurity, signing with Dallas as an undrafted free agent from Eastern Illinois. Just as major college programs in the Midwest ignored him, so did every NFL front-office boss but Jones. Is it possible the scouts had it right in the beginning? He was supposed to flourish under offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, but Romo keeps making the same mistakes in the games that matter most. Since replacing Drew Bledsoe as the starter in 2006, he has been enabled by Jones, who sorely wants Romo to become a dominant player to validate his oft-doubted status as a talent evaluator. As always, Jones is dabbling in fantasy when reality says Romo might not be a better idea than Jon Kitna, the veteran who wisely was signed as a backup. To no one's surprise, he defended Romo on his radio show this week.

"We have all the confidence in the world in Tony Romo," Jones said. "You'd like for him not to have a day like that, but when everybody is pointing fingers, when it didn't go good, then you want someone who can walk into that huddle in the next snap at practice, the next snap in the ballgame and walk out there and cut and shoot and play like they just won the Super Bowl. That's a great quarterback."

On cue, Romo's coaches and teammates also keep supporting him. "Tony's a fighter," coach Wade Phillips said. "He's going to keep after it."

"I know you guys don't see it from our perspective, but he takes a lot of things he does wrong very, very hard,'' center Andre Gurode told reporters. "I can't just imagine how he felt [Sunday] night when he went home. You see the guy [Monday], pat him on the back and say, 'Hey, we're going to correct our mistakes and get better.' ''

"The bad thing is when we win, it's all the quarterback, and when we lose it's all the quarterback," cornerback Terence Newman said. "There's times he's played bad and we've picked him up, and there's times we've played bad and Tony's picked us up."

To his credit, Romo often has bounced back from poor games to deliver solid performances the following week, which will be expected Monday night when the Cowboys host reeling Carolina. Last year, he answered a wretched game in Pittsburgh with a 113.8 passer rating in a win over the Giants. "[Quarterback] is certainly a physical position, and you've got to have the physical skills. But, at the end of the day, it's got to be someone that has a tough skin, that's got a high level of willpower,'' Jones said. "Someone that can say, 'Look, I didn't play well that play, that game,' and come back and play outstanding. The greatest of them all had many days as rough as Tony had Sunday.''

But not nearly as many. This far into his career, Romo isn't nearly as accomplished as those with comparable years of NFL experience, including Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers and Eli Manning. No, the ups and downs of the Cowboys aren't all his fault, not as long as Jones stands by the overmatched Wade Phillips as his head coach and the defense -- zero sacks so far after amassing 59 last season -- gets pushed around as one of the league's worst. But in a quarterbacks league, Romo is a maddening case of having no idea what's coming from week to week, especially when Manning burns the Cowboys for 330 yards and two scores.

"It's frustrating," he said Wednesday. "I'm really disappointed in myself right now. I'm really not okay with my play right now." But not disappointed enough to stop wearing the damned backwards cap, I'm sure.

In the final analysis, he has the look of a heartbreaker. Jessica Simpson knows that much.

:lol:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Frankly, Romo would have much better stats if he had better coaching. He's 180 degrees away from Jason Campbell in that he's always willing to take a chance.