Ruby Tuesday closed? (California, MD)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was involved with a restaurant in the mid 70s and remember reading in a trade mag that of the restaurants opening that year, only 10% would still be open in 4 yrs. We consider ourselves lucky to have survived 6 years.

The one I owned survived less than two years after I sold my half ownership of it. "Bailed out" is probably a more accurate description of what I did...I could see where the train was headed. Quite a lesson though.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
In the square in Leonardtown - used to be just Cafe des Artiste was THE one to survive. Now it's gone.

Solomon's has almost none of the restaurants I once went to. Oh the buildings are still there.
They're just - something else now.

Café sold after almost 20 years. I believe it was due to Chef Loic's health. The new proprieters didn't do a great job. Limited menu and expensive. Never any other specials to choose from.

As for Solomon's, have you tried Island Hideaway? Very good! I have also heard good things about Charles Street Brasserie. CD Café is always good. The food at The Pier sucks.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've heard that with many commercial properties, the owner not only charges rent but gets a portion of the business's receipts. Is that correct?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Very common practice.

Another common practice is for the owner of the strip to charge a reasonable rent the first year or two, then jack it sky high after that to the point where the tenant can't pay, which is why you see so many businesses go out after their initial lease is up. Also why San Souci can't keep tenants.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Another common practice is for the owner of the strip to charge a reasonable rent the first year or two, then jack it sky high after that to the point where the tenant can't pay, which is why you see so many businesses go out after their initial lease is up. Also why San Souci can't keep tenants.

From what I understand, this California landmark is closing due to a very high rent increase. Bummer. I used to go there with my Dad when I was a kid and he hung out there back in his high school days in the 50's. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...en-regulars-brace-for-closing-of-12706622.php

stgislander

PREMO Member

I've heard that too.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gotcha. I was thinking a fixed rent and THEN a shake down on top of it.

In some cases it is. Many's the overly optimistic starry-eyed neophyte business owner that's entered in to a percentage-rent agreement that was lethal to their business at the end of the day...and there are plenty of commercial lease operators that will take full advantage of them. From that is where all the "horror stories" come from.

SamSpade

Beer is good.... They did have some pretty good fish tacos, but they ended up taking them off the menu.

I think that's another thing that kills restaurants. You have a good Italian or French restaurant, you have a pretty good idea what you want to get.

A lot of these restaurants change their menu every year - or less - to be creative, innovative, trend setting - but it kills any good reason to go
back. Fast food depends on people liking their signature food - a Big Mac or fries. Worse, because the menu changes - you can't find anything.

SamSpade

No..they are in the old Damions building, across and just north from the base main gate.

Yeah. Damon's. Wife and I used to love to go there and dine in their little fireplace room, and it was my go to place to have a beer with a buddy of mine.

What was the name of that place near Damon's - the oyster bar place across from the Dodge dealership - sort of behind the mound of earth so you could
barely see the sign? Is it even still a restaurant? Last time I went there, I took my oldest who was about 3 (I guess that was ten years ago).

SamSpade

Café sold after almost 20 years. I believe it was due to Chef Loic's health. The new proprieters didn't do a great job. Limited menu and expensive. Never any other specials to choose from.

As for Solomon's, have you tried Island Hideaway? Very good! I have also heard good things about Charles Street Brasserie. CD Café is always good. The food at The Pier sucks.

Is Island Hideaway where DiGiovanni's used to be? Not to be snarky about it, but almost everything there is where - something ELSE used to be.
My father in law took us all to "The Captain's Table" - unaware that it's not called that anymore.
And they improved the place quite a bit.
I still say things like oh, where Catamaran's used to be, or Harbor Lights or whatever it's called now.

I'm never sure if the Pier is even still called that anymore.

Is Charles Street Brasserie next to the Tiki Bar? Because whatever that place is, they were pulling down the sign with a Bobcat last time I was there.

Thankfully, CD hasn't changed. Probably on my wife's top three. It's just small. Can't go on a busy day.