Rummy just gave a great answer to the Rep. from Rhode Island

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Wish I had a transcript...

The Democrat Rep. from Rhode Island just asked Rumsfeld how do we re-establish credibility on human rights issues after the POW problem in Iraq, in the House Armed Services Committee.

Anybody know where we can get the text of Rummy's answer?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
SENATOR BYRD: Given the catastrophic impact that this scandal has had on the world community, how can the United States ever repair its credibility? How are we supposed to convince not only the Iraqi people, but also the rest of the world that America is indeed a liberator, and not a conqueror, not an arrogant power? Is the presidential apology to the king of Jordan sufficient?

I ask you that question.

RUMSFELD: Senator, the facts are somewhat different than that. The story was broken by the Central Command, by the United States Department of Defense, in Baghdad. General Kimmitt stood up in January and announced that there were allegations of abuses and that they were being investigated. He then briefed reporters. And I think it was March 20 -- there's a timeline up here. By March 20, he went back out again and said that these had been filed.

The idea that this is a story that was broken by the media is simply not the fact. This was presented by the Central Command to the world so that they would be aware of the fact that these have been filed.

What was not known is that a classified report with photographs would be given to the press before it arrived in the Pentagon.
Is this it? :confused: Byrd is the democratic WV senator, but it looks like this is the question you were looking for the answer to. Kennedy was representing RI in the questioning.

Last edited:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Nickel
Is this it? :confused: Byrd is the democratic WV senator, but it looks like this is the question you were looking for the answer to. Kennedy was representing RI in the questioning.

This is the transcript from the Senate Armed Services Committee. I was talking about the House Armed Services Committee.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'

LANGEVIN: Let me just thank you, gentlemen, for being here. It's been a long day.

I share my colleagues' outrage at this entire situation. It has done an enormous amount of damage to the credibility of this nation, and it's going to take us years to recover from it. It's done great damage to us achieving the mission in Iraq, and I have been of the opinion that the success in Iraq is by no means assured, although we know that failure is not an option, and this is going to make it measurably more difficult to achieve the mission of establishing a functioning democracy in Iraq.

What I want to know as we go forward from this point forward, how do we repair the damage to our credibility as a nation on the issue of human rights? How do we criticize other nations on their human rights violations?

How does the president of the United States speak with credibility on human right violations of other nations when he's meeting with foreign leaders? What advice are you going to give him to be able to do that with any sense of credibility, especially in the Arab world on this particular issue and winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people?

The overwhelming majority -- I want to be on record, too, as acknowledging the overwhelming majority of our men and women in uniform are doing an outstanding job. I've traveled to Iraq and I had the opportunity to visit with our soldiers and I know the pride that they share in the professionalism of their service and their dedication to the mission.

They've been tarnished by all this. They're owed an apology not only by the individuals who committed these acts, but the way this whole thing was bungled in terms of its handling -- informing the world and particularly the Congress, because it could have been done better.

LANGEVIN: The credibility question, where do we go from here? How do we restore our credibility on human rights, Mr. Secretary? How do you advise the president on this issue of restoring our credibility on human rights when we come to criticize other nations?

RUMSFELD: Well, when you've got 2.4 (million?) men and women in uniform -- active duty, Guard, Reserve, Selective Reserve -- they're doing a lot of wonderful things in the world. Some people did some perfectly terrible things. What happened after that? We announced it. It became public. We're having an open process. We're prosecuting the people who have done something wrong.

The world is seeing what a democracy does. The world is seeing how people who care about human rights behave.

This isn't a pattern or practice or a policy of the government as it was under Saddam Hussein. This is something totally different.

And how do we always get from one step to the next step? We live our lives as best we can, knowing we're imperfect, mistakes get made, people do bad things to people.

We see it in every state in the union, every year -- murders, rapes.

How do we restore our credibility? What we do is, we get up the next day and try to live our lives better, and we try to do a better job in government and public service. And over time truth wins out.

We have a free, open system. We've got wonderful people in this country. We're not an evil society. There's not something bad about America. America is not what's wrong with the world.

And the overwhelming majority of the people in the world know that.

I mean, why do people line up to get into this country, year after year after year? I read all this stuff -- "people hate us, people don't like us" -- the fact of the matter is, people line up to come into this country every year.

Because it's better here than other places, and because they respect the fact that we respect human beings.

And we'll get by this. I don't like it any more than you do.

MYERS: Let me just talk about the military angle of that.

We've got 37,000 folks in Korea, been there for 50 years. We've got 47,000 troops in Japan, been there for over 50 years. Over 100,000 troops in Germany.

They want us there. Occasionally, a soldier, sailor, airman, Marine missteps and we work our way through it because it's been a long, long relationship.

The world knows that the U.S. military is the best-trained, the best-led and carries American values wherever they go. And they appreciate that.

And as despicable as these events are, and as disgusting as they are to us, the fact that we're having this hearing, the fact that democracy's working, the fact that this has been in the open, the fact that as soon as we knew about it, two days later we're in front of the press, the free press, and say, "We think this may have happened. We're going to do an investigation, and we think it's going to be bad."

The fact that we did that earns the world's respect. Certainly there are going to be some setbacks, but most of the people that we've been working with in the world understand what this armed forces is about.

And I frankly think that we'll work our way through this just fine, because 99.9999 percent of the folks that serve on active duty -- and I didn't do the math on Iraq, I was going to -- but it would be whatever it is, is not going to be dispersed by six people. It will not happen.

I just came fro a NATO meeting. I talked to the major contributors to our operations in Iraq, the other countries. They were firm in their resolve. This incident was not lessening their resolve. They want to get the mission done. And I thanked them for that.

But they're with us. They know us.

The world knows us. We're probably in 140 countries today doing -- or this past year, we've been in 140 or 150 countries doing training operations and other things. They know us. They know the true American service men and women, and they trust us and they respect us.

:clap: :clap:

Thanks Ken! I think you'll agree that the responses by Rumsfeld and Myers to that question was excellent.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by sleuth14
:clap: :clap:

Thanks Ken! I think you'll agree that the responses by Rumsfeld and Myers to that question was excellent.
That response was kick-ass :yay:

C

czygvtwkr

My favorite part:

I mean, why do people line up to get into this country, year after year after year? I read all this stuff -- "people hate us, people don't like us" -- the fact of the matter is, people line up to come into this country every year.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
My favorite part:

The ones why crashed into the WTC were actually trying to land at JFK and missed the runway? :confused:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown
The ones why crashed into the WTC were actually trying to land at JFK and missed the runway? :confused:
:confused: is the correct emoticon for you. Those that did that deed had been in the country for a while and none of the planes used were arriving from a foriegn location.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Ken King
:confused: is the correct emoticon for you. Those that did that deed had been in the country for a while and none of the planes used were arriving from a foriegn location.

The quote "I mean, why do people line up to get into this country, year after year after year? I read all this stuff -- "people hate us, people don't like us" -- the fact of the matter is, people line up to come into this country every year. "
says nothing about what you just referred to. People get caught up in these blanket statements and they can't seem to escape from them. So based on the above quote, there are plenty of people who line up to get into this county, but at the same time plenty of people who would like to do us harm.
Just like when Vrai posts a story about the people in iraq who like us being there, and she starts if off with " gee libs, I thought everyone there didn't want us to be there?" No Vrai, not everyone. Just the ones killing our troops on a daily basis and taking civilian hostages.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just like when Vrai posts a story about the people in iraq who like us being there, and she starts if off with " gee libs, I thought everyone there didn't want us to be there?" No Vrai, not everyone. Just the ones killing our troops on a daily basis and taking civilian hostages.
And would those be the majority of Iraqis or the minority?

Just a little exercise in rational thought. :dance:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
And would those be the majority of Iraqis or the minority?

Just a little exercise in rational thought. :dance:

The problem is, NOBODY ever said that EVERYYONE in Iraq hated us. But you keep throwing out little comments to suggest that people think that way.

But I would have to imagine that the percentage of people in Iraq who hate us will continue to rise if we have more incidents like we have recently had.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But I would have to imagine that the percentage of people in Iraq who hate us will continue to rise if we have more incidents like we have recently had.
I highly doubt that, considering these poor widdle POWs are the same ones who used to torture and kill Iraqi citizens if they so much as KNEW someone who was SUSPECTED of being disloyal to Saddam.

But you can keep dreaming - it's free.

SmallTown

Football season!
I highly doubt that, considering these poor widdle POWs are the same ones who used to torture and kill Iraqi citizens if they so much as KNEW someone who was SUSPECTED of being disloyal to Saddam.

But you can keep dreaming - it's free.

Many don't see it that way. They see Americans doing this stuff to "their people". They were promised "freedom" from saddam's heavy hand, and now they see the things our troops are doing. And they start to wonder how long before the troops come after them. Then they begin to think they better watch their step and not doing anything at all to cross the american troops in fear they may be given the same treatment. Then they realize - Whoa, this is EXACTLY how they lived their lives under saddam.

SmallTown

Football season!
Who? Besides you and the POWs, that is.

So you have been in Iraq, sat down at the local starbucks (your treat of course, bribery can go a long way with those in need) and they told you they love you?

Iraq is a county torn apart. Many grew up knowing two things - They hate saddam, they hate americans. Plain and simple. "My enemy's enemy is my friend" will only get you so far. It got us in to Iraq with somewhat limited resistance from the people of Iraq, but the longer we stay the more unhappy they become with us. They longer we stay, the more they see it is an occupation, not a liberation. The more stories they see about our soldiers doing things they are not supposed to be doing, the more the begin to question us being there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The more stories they see about our soldiers doing things they are not supposed to be doing, the more the begin to question us being there.
So you've been there and sat down at the Mickey Ds with some Iraqi dude and he told you this?

Your lack of sophisitication is showing. You have this mental picture of Iraq as some village with mud huts and peasants running around. Clue for you: Iraq is a big country and Baghdad is a big city, not unlike one of our cities here in the States.

Common sense tells me that the majority of Iraqis are grateful that we got rid of their oppressor for them. They'd also like to see a stable government set up, with elections instead of the various factions killing each other for the title. They'd also like some laws that say the President of their country can't just come in and grab them out of their homes because he feels like beating the sh*t out of someone.

You're talking about the Islamic fundamentalists who want to kill everyone who isn't Muslim. THOSE are the people we're trying to get rid of, so I don't really care what they think.

It's interesting to me that you are one of the folks on here that disparage Christian fundamentalists. These Islamics are the exact same as the Christian nutties who run around bombing abortion clinics. Regardless of your position on abortion, sane people will agree that committing a terrorist act on a clinic isn't the way to go. And we (us sane people) will agree that these bombers don't represent Americans as a whole.

Yet you seem to think that the bombers in Iraq DO represent their country as a whole AND you seem to think we should leave them alone to go about their "business". Please explain this to me so I can make sure I understand.

Pete

Repete
I have a very simplistic view of the Middle East. They are tribal nomads only slightly higher on the food chain than barbarians who would still be wandering and butchering each other if it were not for oil being discovered.

What those goobers did to the POW's was unprofessional and wrong and they should get court martialed and sent to the brig as should the senior NCO's because they didn't stop it or didn't know what was going on. Not only did they blemish the reputation of their service, they caused increased danger to all their fellow combatants who are now faced with more rage due to some stooge wanting to get their picture taken next to a pile of nekkid Iraqi's for the guys back home.

They also caused a black mark on our nation. From the first day of boot camp they tell us that everywhere we go we are ambasadors of our contry. These knucklheads poisoned already murky water. There are rules, international and our own on the treatment of prisoners. Follow them because what makes America different from all the others is that we do the right thing even when no one is looking.