RV condundrum...

bcp

In My Opinion
We have a GMC 3500 dually & pull a 32 foot camper trailer. My husband keeps mentioning a "chip" that would give it more umph? Do you have this or know anything about it?

I have this. Bully Dog

I think the dealer will put an economy flash on it for you too if you know someone there. 40hp increase is most likely all you want to boost it by. That gives a bit better economy towing or empty, not enough of an increase to make you want to play at stop lights and its still safe for the transmission. Even the stock Allison is not recommended to exceed a tune higher than 90hp, however I have pushed mine to the limits before and it held just fine.
I also added 4" down pipe and exhaust and a cold air intake.
I can tow all day at highway speeds in all terrains without the truck ever showing any sign of excessive load or strain.

nutz

We have a GMC 3500 dually & pull a 32 foot camper trailer. My husband keeps mentioning a "chip" that would give it more umph? Do you have this or know anything about it?

A performance chip would change things like fuel to air intake ratio and/or automatic transmission shifting patterns depending on the "tune", you would get better fuel mileage or more power or a combination of both. There's a bunch of different brands out there. Superchip, bullydog, edge are a couple I can think of.

Gilligan may have a better explanation for this stuff and reasons why or why not to use one.

nutz

I have this. Bully Dog

I think the dealer will put an economy flash on it for you too if you know someone there. 40hp increase is most likely all you want to boost it by. That gives a bit better economy towing or empty, not enough of an increase to make you want to play at stop lights and its still safe for the transmission. Even the stock Allison is not recommended to exceed a tune higher than 90hp, however I have pushed mine to the limits before and it held just fine.
I also added 4" down pipe and exhaust and a cold air intake.
I can tow all day at highway speeds in all terrains without the truck ever showing any sign of excessive load or strain.

My Dodge came with 4" pipes, includes an integrated exhaust brake, standard Electronic Range Select (ERS) and "Smart" tow/haul controls. At stock, 350 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque , I don't really need a chip. 11500 of horse trailer or 19000 of equipment, we are good to go. :buddies:

bcp

In My Opinion
My Dodge came with 4" pipes, includes an integrated exhaust brake, standard Electronic Range Select (ERS) and "Smart" tow/haul controls. At stock, 350 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque , I don't really need a chip. 11500 of horse trailer or 19000 of equipment, we are good to go. :buddies:

Looks like my 06 LBZ has the same engine specs as yours does. Mine stock is also 350, with 650 lbs torque. I just like getting the mileage I do and how the Duramax runs so quiet compared to the others.
And, as an added bonus, I have the Allison 6 speed Transmission and the Eaton G-80 differentials.

Looks like Ford beats us both.
...................Max Payload...............Max Towing..........GVWR...........GCWR
Ram 3500......... 4360......................19200................11500...........26900
Ford F-350....... 6160......................21800................13300...........30000
GMC 3500........ 6223.....................21500................13000...........29200

Last edited:

nutz

Looks like my 06 LBZ has the same engine specs as yours does. Mine stock is also 350, with 650 lbs torque. I just like getting the mileage I do and how the Duramax runs so quiet compared to the others.
And, as an added bonus, I have the Allison 6 speed Transmission and the Eaton G-80 differentials.

...................Max Payload...............Max Towing..........GVWR...........GCWR
Ram 3500......... 4360......................19200................11500...........26900
Ford F-350....... 6160......................21800................13300...........30000
GMC 3500........ 6223.....................21500................13000...........29200

Yep, from here it does look that way. And yes, I am running an Aisin 6 spd. auto with pto for on-board air. :duel: :razz:

bcp

In My Opinion
Yep, from here it does look that way. And yes, I am running an Aisin 6 spd. auto with pto for on-board air. :duel: :razz:

But you dont have the G-80. You are stuck with that limited slip differential. So 1960s
:buddies:

Bonehead

5.7 Tundra

Is rated at 10,100 in 2 WD configuration. 19.5 MPG average around here for me so far. And the 5.7 will definitely slap you back into your seat. I haven't owned a V8 in a while.

nutz

But you dont have the G-80. You are stuck with that limited slip differential. So 1960s
:buddies:

nope.......spent the money for a tuner on front and rear yukon air lockers. Sometimes it gets muddy where the horses go camping. A nice grassy field can be a bear to get out of when wet.

bcp

In My Opinion
nope.......spent the money for a tuner on front and rear yukon air lockers. Sometimes it gets muddy where the horses go camping. A nice grassy field can be a bear to get out of when wet.
What year is your ram?
just out of curiosity

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch

Only difference is you can see the tears in the eyes of the Ford owners when they are at the fuel pumps, at least it was this way a few years ago; the Powerstroke couldn't come close to comparing to the Cummins for fuel mileage

littlelady

God bless the USA
Old threads are sad..:bawl:

I know what you mean. It made me sad to see aps participating in this thread. I miss him. But, then again, it was fun to see vrai do a 180 on the subject of RV...ing and being on the road. Life is change, whether we like it, or not, and we just have to go with it; so to speak. :smile: It seems vrai is having a blast. And, I have to say that I am a bit jealous, even though I am a homebody. I appreciate her and Monello's reports from the road.

Last edited: