Safe to use the gas grill, even in this heat??

normalgirl

With all of the stories about propane tank explosions here lately, I was just wondering if you think it is safe to use the grill (outside, of course) even in these HOT temps??

PrepH4U

With all of the stories about propane tank explosions here lately, I was just wondering if you think it is safe to use the grill (outside, of course) even in these HOT temps??

No I do not. I think I saw a news flash bulletin warning against this. :shrug:

:lol: 100* air is nothing next to the 4-500* the grill generates, and the tank is mounted right under the grill.....

No, it will not be a problem unless you hear or smell gas leaking.

RPMDAD

:lol: 100* air is nothing next to the 4-500* the grill generates, and the tank is mounted right under the grill.....

:yeahthat:

agree with GW no problem unless you hear or smell gas leaking, which would indicate a regulator, gas line, or gas line connection problem.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Besides the tank is already outside so ambient air isn't really a factor, and the heat generated by the grill is not additive so I see very little difference between 100 degree days and 75 degree days.

But there iis a danger, YOU could over heat. Seriouslyl, stay hydrated, the tank is okay, but you have have no place to cool down from the 400+ degress coming off the grill.

PrepH4U

Links please, so I can stay informed.

:whistle: Ok I couldn't find the links... I was kidding! But it was easier to post it was on the news than to tell op if they have to ask if it is safe to use a grill to just stay inside in the a/c! :shrug:

Vince

:eyebrow:

Well I'm going to grill a chicken breast here shortly. If I blow up, you can say you warned me.
If you blow up, can I have your smoker? :biggrin:

Never heard anything about not using your grill when it's hot out. I use mine all year long. Any weather and I'm still here.

Last edited:

hooknline

yes it is safe. when you are cooking with gas, the tank cools itself through the evaporation of LP gas. if you want you can feel the side of the gas tank after cooking for a few minutes and you will see what I am talking about. LP gas needs oxygen to ignite and therefore unless like others posted you smell gas, I would not worry about the ambient temperature so much. The regulator will take care of the varying tank pressure during operation and like I said before the cooling of the tanks liquid is accomplished through the evaporation of that liquid (LP gas):buddies:

DEEKAYPEE8569

:buddies:

Gas is convenient, but you can't beat that charcoal flavor!

Entirely "offtopic: but.....
does anyone have one of those grills that are made from what is essentially a 55 gal drum cut in half lengthwise?

These smoker grills have four legs, of course, and they have a grate that raises and lowers with the turn of a handle. Ya put hardwood in this thing instead of charcoal though. Anyone who may have spent any time in So Cal might know what I'm talkin' 'bout.