"Sales"

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Big box stores have the marketing resources to draw customers in and can also purchase for less because of their volume. That's why dog food is cheaper at Wal-Mart than it is at Pepper's. And also because Wal-Mart doesn't sell the premium products that Pepper's does, but even if they did they would be able to sell for less.

If Wal-Mart makes 1% profit on a bag of dog food, that's 1% times a zillion bags a year, times a zillion stores. The small retailer can't possibly make 1% profit and stay in business because they just don't have the volume or the purchasing power to make that feasible.

I understand that, but it doesn't change anything from my consumer pov.

Where did I say I made a decent profit with a 20% off sale? What I did say is I said I would be happy to recoop my money.

So you're just breaking even on a 20% sale?

frequentflier

happy to be living
So how do you get by if you only a month ago started having income(paying yourself)? And if you make less than any employees,how were you able to afford opening a second location - I'd bet they can't afford to open a business? Not being argumentative,just curious because I often hear sbo make those same statements and yet opening and running a business is very expensive....the owner must have a decent amount to have ever even started. One more question - how do you stay in business,and by that I mean you or anyone else who is competing with Amazon and big box stores. There is literally nothing that can't be had for much cheaper elsewhere - I don't understand the customers mentality to pay more. I get it that people think they should support local business but to be honest,why would I support someone else's dream at a detriment to myself? Better to have the rich corporations and keep my cash,I'd think.

We carry a lot of products that you can find at petco and you might be surprized to find that mine are usually less expensive. With the exception of things like kitty litter; which is likely cheaper at big box /grocery stores.
I spend a lot of time going to trade shows, comparing prices from different distributors and stocking up on sale items and keep my profit margins reasonable.
I recently raised the price of bully sticks- 1st increase in 4.5 years and mine are still cheaper than petco!
What keeps me in business is having great employees and (most of the time) exceptional customer service, friendly environment, filling a need for products not yet found at big box stores, competitive pricing, knowledge of products (ongoing training ) and some great loyal customers that know we go the extra mile for them.
I do what I do because I love it. I am not getting rich by any means but in time, my health is going to require some changes.

buddscreekman

We carry a lot of products that you can find at petco and you might be surprized to find that mine are usually less expensive. With the exception of things like kitty litter; which is likely cheaper at big box /grocery stores.
I spend a lot of time going to trade shows, comparing prices from different distributors and stocking up on sale items and keep my profit margins reasonable.
I recently raised the price of bully sticks- 1st increase in 4.5 years and mine are still cheaper than petco!
What keeps me in business is having great employees and (most of the time) exceptional customer service, friendly environment, filling a need for products not yet found at big box stores, competitive pricing, knowledge of products (ongoing training ) and some great loyal customers that know we go the extra mile for them.
I do what I do because I love it. I am not getting rich by any means but in time, my health is going to require some changes.

I hate Petco - they have ridiculous lines,and when they don't no one at the registers,and way overinflated prices. So I can see your point about customer service.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So how do you get by if you only a month ago started having income(paying yourself)? And if you make less than any employees,how were you able to afford opening a second location - I'd bet they can't afford to open a business? Not being argumentative,just curious because I often hear sbo make those same statements and yet opening and running a business is very expensive....the owner must have a decent amount to have ever even started.

It's called sweat equity. You put in your time and effort for little or no pay with the idea that you'll make money down the road when your business becomes successful and stabilized.
One more question - how do you stay in business,and by that I mean you or anyone else who is competing with Amazon and big box stores. There is literally nothing that can't be had for much cheaper elsewhere - I don't understand the customers mentality to pay more. I get it that people think they should support local business but to be honest,why would I support someone else's dream at a detriment to myself? Better to have the rich corporations and keep my cash,I'd think.

Local retailers typically offer expertise and service over and above your average Wal-Mart stock kid. That's worth the extra couple of bucks to some people. I can say, "FF, what do you recommend?" and she'll advise me. The other day I ran into Pepper's for (yes) toothpaste and a toothbrush for Apollo (stop that laughing). Not even FF, but her part-time gal was able to give me advice on what to buy and how to use it. Try that at Target and see what happens.

They also usually offer products that you can't get at a discount store. And then there's the "fun" factor - it's just more fun to browse through Pepper's and see their neat stuff.

So it just depends on what you want.

frequentflier

happy to be living
For me,I don't give a flip about whether John Smith gets to live his dream of owning a store if it means I have to finance it....and to me that's what small business is all about. Same products,higher cost. I'm pretty much big box/warehouse/Amazon all day. I know the smaller places can't compete,and to me that is why they will eventually be obsolete.

I guess I have always felt differently because my father was self employed. This is not my first business; first retail business yes; and it has been quite a learning experience. I am happier working for myself.
Besides who would want to hire a 50 something, overweight truck driver/ equipment operator with a bad heart?!

Last edited:

terbear1225

For me,I don't give a flip about whether John Smith gets to live his dream of owning a store if it means I have to finance it....and to me that's what small business is all about. Same products,higher cost. I'm pretty much big box/warehouse/Amazon all day. I know the smaller places can't compete,and to me that is why they will eventually be obsolete.

many small businesses offer items that are not available in the big box stores, whether it's custom clothing or higher end dog food or whatever. at least that is the case with the small businesses that I visit.

buddscreekman

FF,have you ever considering selling live reptile food? Like a little cricket box like Tackle Box has? I'd imagine it wouldn't be too expensive of a product and they breed like crazy. I ask because I know for most of us who have reptiles,you either breed your own or buy from Petco,and they are expensive and usually half dead. I know we'd definitely buy them and so would a lot of other people.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I started PPP in 2002 baking organic dog biscuits for a dog that was dumped in the high desert of CA. I created all my own recipes, had all the analysis done, bought UPC codes etc. Was online and in stores. PPP was an online presence until a few years ago; when it got to be too much to maintain the website, shipping, inventory of products and the 1st store at the same time. We were at the top rating for "Dorky Dog Purses" for several years and sold a lot of unique items as well.
Funny thing is, I was offered a medical disability in 2002 and could be collecting (I think it was about) $1500 a month for the rest of my life....refused it and here I am.

frequentflier

happy to be living
FF,have you ever considering selling live reptile food? Like a little cricket box like Tackle Box has? I'd imagine it wouldn't be too expensive of a product and they breed like crazy. I ask because I know for most of us who have reptiles,you either breed your own or buy from Petco,and they are expensive and usually half dead. I know we'd definitely buy them and so would a lot of other people.

What has kept me away from carrying supplies for other critters is that if I carry reptile stuff, the rabbit people get pissed and I have to carry rabbit stuff and then the bird people demand I carry bird stuff and then wild bird feeders get mad and on and on. I DO special order some products for people if they tell me exactly what they need. Honestly, I don't think any of my distributors carry live reptile food or else I would consider setting you up on a special order delivery schedule to help you out.
More importantly, knowledge about products carried and the animals they are being carried for is lacking when we get away from dog and cat stuff. My staff and I would need to be educated on fish, reptiles, birds, rabbits etc etc before I carry products for them. I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Of course, space is also an issue.

buddscreekman

I started PPP in 2002 baking organic dog biscuits for a dog that was dumped in the high desert of CA. I created all my own recipes, had all the analysis done, bought UPC codes etc. Was online and in stores. PPP was an online presence until a few years ago; when it got to be too much to maintain the website, shipping, inventory of products and the 1st store at the same time. We were at the top rating for "Dorky Dog Purses" for several years and sold a lot of unique items as well.
Funny thing is, I was offered a medical disability in 2002 and could be collecting (I think it was about) $1500 a month for the rest of my life....refused it and here I am.

Take the 1500,and sell me some crickets. That's what I'd do. :killingme
Off topic but I've often wondered what is considered a disability,and how is it determined? Is it offered by a doctor? I say this because I have a friend who has rental properties,and all his tenants are on section 8. Disabled. But I see these people out and about all the time with no apparent problems,so I asked him one day what are the disabilities and he said well,one is an alcoholic,one has traumatic stress and panic disorder,and one has depression. Your heart issue is a disability no doubt,but emotional problems? I don't understand first what doctor would certify these as disabilities,and second why I can't get a referral from a nice forumite. I have a delicious food addiction problem and I am in fact depressed about it.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Take the 1500,and sell me some crickets. That's what I'd do. :killingme
Off topic but I've often wondered what is considered a disability,and how is it determined? Is it offered by a doctor? I say this because I have a friend who has rental properties,and all his tenants are on section 8. Disabled. But I see these people out and about all the time with no apparent problems,so I asked him one day what are the disabilities and he said well,one is an alcoholic,one has traumatic stress and panic disorder,and one has depression. Your heart issue is a disability no doubt,but emotional problems? I don't understand first what doctor would certify these as disabilities,and second why I can't get a referral from a nice forumite. I have a delicious food addiction problem and I am in fact depressed about it.

My heart wasn't an issue; it was depression. A doctor in CA sent me to the social security office and I went through the 1st set of interviews.
After the paperwork was filed, I drove to Bakersfield and registered my business, called the SS office and told them to shred my paperwork. I knew I could get it- it wasn't right, though, and I was raised differently than some others.
Even though I was emotionally troubled- the depression did not incapacitate me- I knew I could not play the system like others do. PPP and baking was therapy for me and I have not regretted my decision. I have to admit, once in awhile I think about how nice it would be to not have to work and collect the $. But I would never be able to look in my father's eyes again.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about a "special sale" where you get $1 off a $22 box of K-cups? Or 10% off my purchase of $100 or more at Belk?

One dollar isn't going to make me go, "Wow! Gotta get some K-cups!" Nor will saving $10 make me spend $100. Unless, of course, I was going to buy the items anyway, in which case the sale is moot and just a bonus for me with no benefit for the store.

Is this type of marketing really effective?

Wow. You aren't shopping right.

Let's see, I sign up for free memberships, free purchase clubs, clip coupons, take advantage of special offers and sales. I do not go out of my way for a sale, nor do I buy things I don't need/won't use. However, incentives do get me to consolidate my shopping in one location. Which is a win win for me, since I hate to shop.

I went to a retailer a week or so ago, and came home with over $200 worth of merchandise that we needed but had procrastinated on buying for $60.

I just placed a Keurig order, and with my discounts, coupons, and special offers, I received additional "gifts", received free shipping and got a cheaper price than the "members club price".

Now if I was just picking up stuff whenever I thought about it, maybe a sale wouldn't be worth it to me. But I'm very cost conscious and try to always wait until there is a less expensive price or incentive to purchase at a retailer.

We had to buy a new tv recently and wound up getting a top brand name 70" tv for less than the advertised price anywhere else, even online, and even less than the 60" tvs, and received free delivery.

It pays to save on items you plan on buying anyway. :shrug:

Right now, I have some treats 20% off that were once great sellers and hope to at least recoop my money before they expire. The goal is to make room for new treats to replace them- and maybe even pay for them!

Apple Bacon Fruitables by any chance? I try and stockpile them.

There is literally nothing that can't be had for much cheaper elsewhere - I don't understand the customers mentality to pay more. I get it that people think they should support local business but to be honest,why would I support someone else's dream at a detriment to myself? Better to have the rich corporations and keep my cash,I'd think.

Actually, not true. Peppers is on par / or even less, with any other business, even online and factor in no shipping costs...it's a win. Plus you get to take your dog in to pick out a toy and get ooohed and ahhhed over, which pets and pet owners enjoy. Also, I've found if I want something, they can get in with no problems and no stress, no fuss on my behalf.

I've disovered that many of the smaller local businesses in our area are the exact same way, less expensive and/or on par price wise and much friendlier and cooperative. I hate shopping, so a friendly staff and eager assistance win me over each time. Just discovered a local framer in Leonardtown who does excellent work and who is much much less than the box store (even with a coupon). Don't turn your nose up at the local businesses.

Last edited:

buddscreekman

Wow. You aren't shopping right.

Let's see, I sign up for free memberships, free purchase clubs, clip coupons, take advantage of special offers and sales. I do not go out of my way for a sale, nor do I buy things I don't need/won't use. However, incentives do get me to consolidate my shopping in one location. Which is a win win for me, since I hate to shop.

I went to a retailer a week or so ago, and came home with over $200 worth of merchandise that we needed but had procrastinated on buying for $60.

I just placed a Keurig order, and with my discounts, coupons, and special offers, I received additional "gifts", received free shipping and got a cheaper price than the "members club price".

Now if I was just picking up stuff whenever I thought about it, maybe a sale wouldn't be worth it to me. But I'm very cost conscious and try to always wait until there is a less expensive price or incentive to purchase at a retailer.

We had to buy a new tv recently and wound up getting a top brand name 70" tv for less than the advertised price anywhere else, even online, and even less than the 60" tvs, and received free delivery.

It pays to save on items you plan on buying anyway. :shrug:

Apple Bacon Fruitables by any chance? I try and stockpile them.

Actually, not true. Peppers is on par / or even less, with any other business, even online and factor in no shipping costs...it's a win. Plus you get to take your dog in to pick out a toy and get ooohed and ahhhed over, which pets and pet owners enjoy. Also, I've found if I want something, they can get in with no problems and no stress, no fuss on my behalf.

I've disovered that many of the smaller local businesses in our area are the exact same way, less expensive and/or on par price wise and much friendlier and cooperative. I hate shopping, so a friendly staff and eager assistance win me over each time. Just discovered a local framer in Leonardtown who does excellent work and who is much much less than the box store (even with a coupon). Don't turn your nose up at the local businesses.

We're pretty much the opposite. Hate the ooh's and ahh's and eager help makes us head out the door. Just the initial "do you need any help" makes both of us cringe - we both feel like if we need help,we'll ask,otherwise,we aren't there to be coddled.

And as for your comment to Vrai about not shopping right - you must not be if you are still paying for shipping.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We're pretty much the opposite. Hate the ooh's and ahh's and eager help makes us head out the door. Just the initial "do you need any help" makes both of us cringe - we both feel like if we need help,we'll ask,otherwise,we aren't there to be coddled.

This attitude confuses me, although it's not uncommon. Why wouldn't you want to be greeted by someone and asked if you need help finding something? It's common courtesy and, I think, much better than walking into a store and being ignored. I have a girlfriend like that - it drives her crazy when the store clerk acknowledges her. I don't get it.

buddscreekman

My heart wasn't an issue; it was depression. A doctor in CA sent me to the social security office and I went through the 1st set of interviews.
After the paperwork was filed, I drove to Bakersfield and registered my business, called the SS office and told them to shred my paperwork. I knew I could get it- it wasn't right, though, and I was raised differently than some others.
Even though I was emotionally troubled- the depression did not incapacitate me- I knew I could not play the system like others do. PPP and baking was therapy for me and I have not regretted my decision. I have to admit, once in awhile I think about how nice it would be to not have to work and collect the $. But I would never be able to look in my father's eyes again.

I'd have to say that any sort of emotional problems feel worse when you're isolated or staying home,so I'm sure being busy and productive is a huge help to you. I can definitely see how PPP is a great thing for you all the way around. My wife is self-employed and I know when no work is coming in her anxiety issues take off. When she's busy,totally different person.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

And as for your comment to Vrai about not shopping right - you must not be if you are still paying for shipping.

I said I got free shipping. :smile: Perhaps you aren't reading right.

buddscreekman

This attitude confuses me, although it's not uncommon. Why wouldn't you want to be greeted by someone and asked if you need help finding something? It's common courtesy and, I think, much better than walking into a store and being ignored. I have a girlfriend like that - it drives her crazy when the store clerk acknowledges her. I don't get it.

To me,when I drive to a business to spend money I've earned,then I'm in a way establishing a baseline of functionality as an adult. So,when I walk in and am immediately asked if I need help,part of me feels like christ....here we go again with the societal move towards hand holding and coddling. I drove here,I earned money to pay for the goods - yeah,I think I can manage knowing what I want,picking it up,and paying for it. It really irks me and makes me uncomfortable and what really will make me leave is being asked repeatedly. Also,being acknowledged really isn't that important to me - I came for goods,not a pal. The "friendliness" to me is phony.I don't need any one to do anything but be available if I needed you. I've always been a bit socially inept,though - I can turn on the charm in short bursts but I don't tolerate other people well.
My most hated thing are the business calls where they go through this whole speech before simply getting down to it. When I get a call from a person and they are obviously on a business call and ask me how my day is I lay into them and will talk about constipation,my wife's period,my kids troubles...so forth. If you ask - you better really want to know. If you are just bs'ing,I'll waste your time like you are wasting mine. I know,I'm a jerk.

lovinmaryland

OMG I am the same way. If I need help I will ask you for help. I dont need you to follow me around the store tryign to assist me in shopping.

buddscreekman

I said I got free shipping. :smile: Perhaps you aren't reading right.

I read fine. Here is your quote:

If you say Pepper's is a deal"......when you factor in no shipping costs",then that tells me you must at times at least have to pay them,or it would be a non-issue in your calculations. In other words,if you consider shipping costs when comparison shopping,you obviously do pay for shipping. Anyway,I'm not going to pull a Roberta and freak out over semantics.