"Sales"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
To me,when I drive to a business to spend money I've earned,then I'm in a way establishing a baseline of functionality as an adult. So,when I walk in and am immediately asked if I need help,part of me feels like christ....here we go again with the societal move towards hand holding and coddling. I drove here,I earned money to pay for the goods - yeah,I think I can manage knowing what I want,picking it up,and paying for it. It really irks me and makes me uncomfortable and what really will make me leave is being asked repeatedly. Also,being acknowledged really isn't that important to me - I came for goods,not a pal. The "friendliness" to me is phony.I don't need any one to do anything but be available if I needed you. I've always been a bit socially inept,though - I can turn on the charm in short bursts but I don't tolerate other people well.

Wow. :lol:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Wow. You aren't shopping right.

Let's see, I sign up for free memberships, free purchase clubs, clip coupons, take advantage of special offers and sales.

Apparently, I don't shop right either. I hate shopping! I'm not beyond researching on the net or making phone calls for the best deal whether online or not, but all that other hullabaloo makes me hate it even worse. Not gonna do it, bleh!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I read fine. Here is your quote:

Actually, not true. Peppers is on par / or even less, with any other business, even online and factor in no shipping costs...it's a win. Plus you get to take your dog in to pick out a toy and get ooohed and ahhhed over, which pets and pet owners enjoy. Also, I've found if I want something, they can get in with no problems and no stress, no fuss on my behalf.

If you say Pepper's is a deal"......when you factor in no shipping costs",then that tells me you must at times at least have to pay them,or it would be a non-issue in your calculations. In other words,if you consider shipping costs when comparison shopping,you obviously do pay for shipping. Anyway,I'm not going to pull a Roberta and freak out over semantics.

Ahhhh....okay what I meant was I have seen specific items at specific websites that Peppers carries for the same price while those websites charge s&h. Which is a factor and can be an issue when cost comparing. But I never order anything online if I have to pay S&H...even from ebay. :lol:

Does that help you out any or do I need to spell out the word R.O.A.D.? :eyebrow: :lol:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Apparently, I don't shop right either. I hate shopping! I'm not beyond researching on the net or making phone calls for the best deal whether online or not, but all that other hullabaloo makes me hate it even worse. Not gonna do it, bleh!

:lol: You shop more than me. :neener: I have the giant do my research pricing. He excels at the online research. :clap:

Actually, I know somebody who is one of those ultimate coupon clipper sale finder people. I don't think she pays for anything - she gets rebates and change back instead. I admire the heck out of that, but I don't have the time/energy for it.

buddscreekman

Ahhhh....okay what I meant was I have seen specific items at specific websites that Peppers carries for the same price while those websites charge s&h. Which is a factor and can be an issue when cost comparing. But I never order anything online if I have to pay S&H...even from ebay. :lol:

Does that help you out any or do I need to spell out the word R.O.A.D.? :eyebrow: :lol:

Yes,you do. Spell it out. Because if you don't,at this point you just look kind of hard up for something to do today.

frequentflier

happy to be living
To me,when I drive to a business to spend money I've earned,then I'm in a way establishing a baseline of functionality as an adult. So,when I walk in and am immediately asked if I need help,part of me feels like christ....here we go again with the societal move towards hand holding and coddling. I drove here,I earned money to pay for the goods - yeah,I think I can manage knowing what I want,picking it up,and paying for it. It really irks me and makes me uncomfortable and what really will make me leave is being asked repeatedly. Also,being acknowledged really isn't that important to me - I came for goods,not a pal. The "friendliness" to me is phony.I don't need any one to do anything but be available if I needed you. I've always been a bit socially inept,though - I can turn on the charm in short bursts but I don't tolerate other people well.
My most hated thing are the business calls where they go through this whole speech before simply getting down to it. When I get a call from a person and they are obviously on a business call and ask me how my day is I lay into them and will talk about constipation,my wife's period,my kids troubles...so forth. If you ask - you better really want to know. If you are just bs'ing,I'll waste your time like you are wasting mine. I know,I'm a jerk.

Well, don't come in my stores because one or more people will say hello and usually will tell you to let them know if you need help.
I don't consider it coddling, it is considered GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.
And after a few visits, we actually may call you by your name.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
:lol: You shop more than me. :neener: I have the giant do my research pricing. He excels at the online research. :clap:

Actually, I know somebody who is one of those ultimate coupon clipper sale finder people. I don't think she pays for anything - she gets rebates and change back instead. I admire the heck out of that, but I don't have the time/energy for it.

Only because I have to, I have a family of six! :jameo:

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
My most hated thing are the business calls where they go through this whole speech before simply getting down to it. When I get a call from a person and they are obviously on a business call and ask me how my day is I lay into them and will talk about constipation,my wife's period,my kids troubles...so forth. If you ask - you better really want to know. If you are just bs'ing,I'll waste your time like you are wasting mine. I know,I'm a jerk.

This part here I understand. Take this one step further, when you actually tell the person how you are ACTUALLY doing....THEY become uncomfortable and don't know how to respond :lol:

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
Well, don't come in my stores because one or more people will say hello and usually will tell you to let them know if you need help.

Hey, where is your store?

I hate Petco or Petsmart, or whatever. I don't spend much money on my pets, but I'd rather frequent your business if it is close by.

I know, you are going to be biased, but if I'm going to spend an extra buck or two and get used to good customer service at one location....I'm inclined to do that.

Cheers!

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about a "special sale" where you get $1 off a $22 box of K-cups? Or 10% off my purchase of $100 or more at Belk?

One dollar isn't going to make me go, "Wow! Gotta get some K-cups!" Nor will saving $10 make me spend $100. Unless, of course, I was going to buy the items anyway, in which case the sale is moot and just a bonus for me with no benefit for the store.

Is this type of marketing really effective?

It isn't effective by me.

These department stores change the verbage. I would not be "saving" any money. I'm spending $100 to receive $10 off my NEXT purchase, or at least that is how it usually is worded. So, spend $100 to spend 'a-little-less' next time around. No thanks. If a department store isn't going to offer a reasonable price for their goods, up front, then I won't be frequenting them....regardless of "sales".

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day

Happens to us everytime.