Saudi Oil

Clem72

I still haven't heard a good argument as to why, even if this was 100% Iran, the US should be involved? SA has plenty of munitions, we know since we have the receipts. They can take care of themselves, as far as I am aware they aren't part of NATO and they don't provide strategic access in the area like Israel / Pakistan do.

This_person

I still haven't heard a good argument as to why, even if this was 100% Iran, the US should be involved? SA has plenty of munitions, we know since we have the receipts. They can take care of themselves, as far as I am aware they aren't part of NATO and they don't provide strategic access in the area like Israel / Pakistan do.
I don't think that's true.

NOTE: That is NOT one link.

Clem72

I don't think that's true.

NOTE: That is NOT one link.

I feel like you kind of made my point for me. 5 landing strips/refueling spots 4 in a very small area and about as far away from anything we care about in the region as possible (we already have lots of bases in east africa) and one (King Abdul) that would be decent staging for Iran, but no better than many in Iraq, Afghanistan, or Pakistan. Strategic would imply they provided a unique capability or access. Landing strip & fuel 1200+ miles from any engagement zone we care about is hardly strategic.

Obviously i'm not a military strategist (I assume few of us here are), but if we lost SA support and were left with only 15-20 staging areas immediately surrounding Iran we would still be in pretty good shape.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Likely because there isn't a good reason.
Think of the Saudi oil field as a surrogate for a US warship - only the ship can be moved.
That's the message from Iran, get out of my pond.
They have demonstrated a way to deliver a lethal blow without leaving a clear trail.
Based on performance of the drones, it's doubtful they came from inside Yemen.
Even if they did, even the UN is on record as saying Iran supplied the weapons to the rebels.
What Iran is counting on is world and US political pressure to keep the US (Trump) under wraps.
They don't want to get into a shooting war they are sure to lose and lose quickly.
They got caught with the mine, but tried to deny it. A hell of a lot of people bought their story, even with the surveillance video.
So now they have a way to sting the US Navy and walk away without getting even a bloody nose.
Message, lift the sanctions, let us develop our atomic bomb and export it to terrorist groups all over the world so we can wage jihad.