School Ban Limos and Luxury Cars From Prom Because...Inequality

Auntie Biache'

One of the things that is a time honored tradition of high school is prom.

Saving the money for the tux, the dress, the limo to have the night of your lives.

But at Lakeland Regional High School in New Jersey, school officials have taken a big chunk out of the night in the interests of “equity” by forbidding limos or luxury cars, requiring everyone to come by bus.

This_person

In my high school in the 70's and 80's we had to take the bus. People rented the limos to get to the high school where they dropped you off at the bus.

I drove a Thunderbird back then, when Thunderbirds were considered luxury cars and not sporty pieces of crap. My buddy drove a Caddy. Many people took their parents' cars, which were much nicer than the teenage POS most people had. I wonder if they'll block you from taking Daddy's Benz, too, to the high school to get on the bus.

Auntie Biache'

I didn't go to prom, but if I had, I would not have been able to afford a limo or luxury car. Doesn't mean someone who can should not be able to. As much as I found the idea of prom distasteful when I was a teen, I would find it positively appalling now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I loved my high school proms. Very few kids rented limos, though. Our splurge, besides the dress and tux, was to meet up for dinner at a really nice restaurant.

So what are they going to do about kids who can't afford a super fancy dress or expensive tux?

This_person

I didn't go to prom, but if I had, I would not have been able to afford a limo or luxury car. Doesn't mean someone who can should not be able to. As much as I found the idea of prom distasteful when I was a teen, I would find it positively appalling now.
Not sure what is appalling about a formal dance, but, I agree with you that people should be able to arrive how they choose.

limblips

PREMO Member
I'd estimate that 25% of our prom attendees arrived in pickup trucks. Some were newer and others were old field beaters that got their annual muck out and wash job the day of the prom.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
No limos at the prom for us in the late 1970s. Could barely afford the tux rental.

Auntie Biache'

Not sure what is appalling about a formal dance, but, I agree with you that people should be able to arrive how they choose.
If your idea of formal is your date dressed like she's ready to work the corner, then I guess you wouldn't see anything appalling about that at all.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If your idea of formal is your date dressed like she's ready to work the corner, then I guess you wouldn't see anything appalling about that at all.

Certainly our dresses back in the day weren't of the streetwalker variety, and my girls' dresses were modest and elegant as well. But I know what you're talking about - the way some "parents" let their daughters dress is pretty remarkable.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I loved my high school proms. Very few kids rented limos, though. Our splurge, besides the dress and tux, was to meet up for dinner at a really nice restaurant.

Same at mine. I don't recall anyone renting a limo. I remember my best buddy pulling his '68 GT500 out of storage in their barn, giving it a bath, and slapping a set of cardboard "inspection temporary" tags on it so he could drive it senior prom night. Then, back in the barn it went. His "daily driver" was a rusted out out Fiat spyder.

This_person

That was neither my experience as a teen nor any of my four kids' experiences at their time, either.

There's never a time, however, when all are going to fit my personal idea of what is right or wrong. So, I just have to live it my way. Many proms are actually referred to as "the spring formal". It's just a formal dance - in the fall you have Homecoming as a semi-formal, and in spring you have Prom as the formal.

luvmygdaughters

I graduated in 73, went to the senior prom twice, once when I was a sophomore and again when I was a senior. First time was in my dates candy apple red GTO. The 2nd was in my ex husbands 1969 plymouth road runner. Had a great time both times! The first time I wore my older sisters prom gown. The 2nd time I saved for my dress. The thought of a limo never entered my mind. In fact, I dont remember seeing one limo at either of the dances.

GregV814

From now on, graduation from pre-K mandates drab green uniforms with a red star on their cap..and an Obama Nobel prize trophy to all to his needs.

NextJen

Raisin cane
My date and I rode together with another couple, a guy in the neighborhood with his date, in his mothers 1981 Bronco.
No frills, but a fun night.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I didn't have a girlfriend at the time and most of my buddies were juniors, so I decided not to waste the money.