Searching for Heaven

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I loathe the thought of that heinous Baba Wawa smirking at the faithful while she conducts her "interviews". The picture of her over-madeup, surgically enhanced, designer outfitted self sitting next to the Dalai Lama is just priceless.

That said, I think all these people who claim these near-death out fo body experiences are full of it. Notice everyone goes to heaven and no one goes to hell?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
vraiblonde said:
out fo body
:confused: What's FD gotta do with this? :shrug: :lol:

I'll probably watch it ... just to see what they have to say. I did like what one person said though (guess he's an interviewee they showed a quick spot on this morning) about the existence of 'heaven' ... that maybe heaven's not so much a reality; rather, an idea in which you should model your life after in an effort to get in (if that makes sense) ... in other words, heaven isn't so much real; rather, the idea that it might be might drive one to live a decent, moral life.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
vraiblonde said:
Notice everyone goes to heaven and no one goes to hell?
Maybe they're just making it into the foyer.

Saw something on this the other day. She interviews a lot of diverse people, Muslim suicide bomber, Dali Lama, various Christian flavors. A lot say we're goin but them other guys aren't.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
That said, I think all these people who claim these near-death out fo body experiences are full of it. Notice everyone goes to heaven and no one goes to hell?
There were some people on TV a few years ago that had been clinically dead. Some said they saw bright light. Some met loved ones that had already died. Some saw nothing but darkness and felt total despair. Interestingly most of those that saw darkness had been nasty in life and said they had completely changed the way they treated others and their belief in heaven and hell. They said they did not want to experience the darkness again.

It really doesn't matter. It is a matter of faith.

SamSpade

willie said:
Bill Oreilly is interviewing BW about it now.
I saw part of that this morning. Barbra made at least one very interesting observation - that what you believe about heaven often has a very profound impact on how you choose to live your life on earth. The example she cited was the Dalai Lama - who believes in reincarnation - but that he does not believe in heaven. His highest ideal is to achieve happiness through kindness and compassion - and it reflects on how he lives his life.

I didn't see the special, but I can imagine how a suicide bomber choose to "live" his life according to what he believes. Or how someone who believes in nothing at all might behave.

So I suppose if you DON'T believe in a heaven or afterlife - it does affect your present life, noticeably.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
So I suppose if you DON'T believe in a heaven or afterlife - it does affect your present life, noticeably.
I didn't watch the special either, but I agree with what you say here. Often, that is why people choose not to believe the Bible. They know their life is not in line with the Bible, so it is easier to justify selfishness, greed, sexual immorality, murder, theft and all the other things people do. If there is no God to answer to, then they can do what the want without consequence beyond this world. It leads to get away with whatever you can. Quite reflective of our "enlightened society" today. What they miss is that Y'howah came as man, Y'shua, Jesus, to reconcile imperfect people to Himself and provide redemption. But that takes the faith of a child and the "enlighten society" is so scientifically mature; they have become wise.

Romans 1:21-23

<sup id="en-NASB-27952">21</sup>For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

<sup id="en-NASB-27953">22</sup>Professing to be wise, they became fools,

<sup id="en-NASB-27954">23</sup>and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.
Stated another way, they gave up God for Darwin.

SamSpade

2ndAmendment said:
I didn't watch the special either, but I agree with what you say here. Often, that is why people choose not to believe the Bible. They know their life is not in line with the Bible, so it is easier to justify selfishness, greed, sexual immorality, murder, theft and all the other things people do.
It works the other way as well - if you can find no compelling reason to believe in the existence of a God - then it really would be kind of stupid to follow any kind of restrictive moral code.

I believe that what you believe can change your behavior - but I know I don't believe the commonly stated "Christian" statement that even if it isn't true, you'll still live a better life. Paul himself stated that if we live only for this life, we are to be the most pitied of men. It IS the hope of everlasting life that makes it worthwhile - and if there IS no afterlife - "Christian" lifestyle becomes pitiable.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
... Paul himself stated that if we live only for this life, we are to be the most pitied of men. It IS the hope of everlasting life that makes it worthwhile - and if there IS no afterlife - "Christian" lifestyle becomes pitiable.
True. The Christian way of life is surrender of self to the control of the Holy Spirit in faith in God and the promise of eternal life.
1 Corinthians 15

<sup id="en-NASB-28731">12</sup>Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?

<sup id="en-NASB-28732">13</sup>But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised;

<sup id="en-NASB-28733">14</sup>and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain.

<sup id="en-NASB-28734">15</sup>Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised.

<sup id="en-NASB-28735">16</sup>For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;

<sup id="en-NASB-28736">17</sup>and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.

<sup id="en-NASB-28737">18</sup>Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.

<sup id="en-NASB-28738">19</sup>If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.

The Order of Resurrection

<sup id="en-NASB-28739">20</sup>But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. <sup id="en-NASB-28740">21</sup>For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead.

<sup id="en-NASB-28741">22</sup>For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.

<sup id="en-NASB-28742">23</sup>But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,

<sup id="en-NASB-28743">24</sup>then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power.

<sup id="en-NASB-28744">25</sup>For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.

<sup id="en-NASB-28745">26</sup>The last enemy that will be abolished is death.

willie

I found it boring. Just various individuals opinions and just like here, mild to wild. No Earth shattering words of wisdom.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
willie said:
I found it boring. Just various individuals opinions and just like here, mild to wild. No Earth shattering words of wisdom.
I watched the last half of it.
The Dalai Lama... that was the first time I'd heard him speak. I liked him. I could see him as someone's sweet old grandpa.

I also found interesting the difference between the suicide bomber's version of Islam and the older, moderate guy's version of Islam. And I found it strange that the suicide bomber told essentially told Barbara Walters "I don't want you to go to hell, but you're going anyway." The conversation left me scratching my head... this guy seemed... nice, calm, well-adjusted, yet here he is talking about why it's ok to kill innocent people. Very strange.

S

Schizo

I love the analogy about you can choose to drink water or drink Draino. We are merely trying to get people to drink some water... :killingme