Second opinion following surgery...

DeeCee

A horse of course!
OK..maybe it's just me but I'm not happy with what i just heard...
Background - I had ACL replacement surgery last year and a follow up surgery 8 weeks later because the knee 'clunked' from day one following surgery and didn't responding well to PT. Doc said nothing was actually 'done' to fix the clunk but removed a bone spur. The hard clunk went away immediately following that one. I'm now 8 months out from the second surgery and the knee is still slightly swollen, I can't get full extention (it's about 90 degrees), I feel some degree of instability, it's still painful and worse, the clunk is coming back - slowly but surely - maybe that pesky bone spur is coming back - but can a bone spur come on immediately following a surgery? The same doc did the other ACL 6 years ago - absolutely no issues with that one.

I called Greater Metro Ortho in the dorf and was told that since the previous surgeries were so recent, they want to see records from both surgeries before they'll even see me, to decide IF they can help me. I think reviewing the previous records before hand creates the potential for pre-judgement and really think they should see me first, order a new CT and review the previous records along with the updated CT to get a full picture of what the root of the matter might be. I highly suspect the bone tunnel is slightly off for the new ACL, but I'm no doctor, I just know this one's not right and never has been from day one as compared to the other ACL replacement. I don't 'blame' anyone, shiat happens (epecially with me) but i just want it to be right - with whatever it takes to correct it.

Am i being neurotic about not wanting to provide previous medical records BEFORE a second opinion or is that SOP??
Funny how i choose to come HERE of all places for opinions....but that's a different issue.... and i shivver as i hit 'submit new thread' :lmao:

Roman

No, you are not neurotic. Take the documents with you, and see if you can get the CD's. to provide them with the information. Discuss your concerns, and go from there. You might want to try Annapolis Brain, and Spine. They do ortho too.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I recommend Annapolis as well and don't think you are neurotic at all. I do think you should always, no matter what, keep copies of all your own medical records. It's sometimes a real PITA to get records transferred to another office.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Dr. Sabloff did my right knee once, and my right arm/shoulder twice - (all laproscopic) never any issues - what Dr. there were you trying to see? I told Dr. Sabloff don't retire any time soon, I need you to do my left knee next (just clean it up mostly) LOL.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I go for an MRI next week on my knee to see if surgery is needed. They asked me to bring in my previous MRI and like you, I won't be doing that. I understand they want to see the 2 results for comparison but I want a "fresh" look and diagnosis first. Only then can we debate the two.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I go for an MRI next week on my knee to see if surgery is needed. They asked me to bring in my previous MRI and like you, I won't be doing that. I understand they want to see the 2 results for comparison but I want a "fresh" look and diagnosis first. Only then can we debate the two.

Good luck, I went last week and have 2 tears in my meniscus, go to Ortho on the 28th, couldn't get anything sooner. Guess since you've had it done before you know to ask the imaging center for the disk before you leave, I had to go back by and get it for my next appt.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
The biggest Q I have is how will they know IF they can help me based only the surgical histories alone? Suppose I did something new to it? If my case is reviewed, will they order a CT before they see me or is that yet another visit, IF they allow me an appointment?
I just think it's a weird way to provide patient care.

I'll call Annapolis Brain and Spine, I've been there before for my spine but maybe I should just say I'm coming in for knee pain and take my surgical records then ask forgiveness once I'm there. :biggrin:
Thanks!

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
The biggest Q I have is how will they know IF they can help me based only the surgical histories alone? Suppose I did something new to it? If my case is reviewed, will they order a CT before they see me or is that yet another visit, IF they allow me an appointment?
I just think it's a weird way to provide patient care.

I'll call Annapolis Brain and Spine, I've been there before for my spine but maybe I should just say I'm coming in for knee pain and take my surgical records then ask forgiveness once I'm there. :biggrin:
Thanks!

If you have had surgery (especially if tissue has been transplanted) recently it is important for the second (or any subsequent doctor) to know what was done and when. If you can obtain the pre-surgical and post-surgical films as well as the operative report, the second-opinion doctor can, indeed, make a pre-judgement on whether it is logical for a new surgery or not. If a transplant was done, it takes different recovery therapy and duration before someone should even think about repeat surgery. If the operative report is detailed enough, the second-opinion doctor can have some idea of what may be going wrong (did a staple rather than a suture get put in, that sort of thing).

In the end, it's your joint and you have to live with the outcome. It's not neurotic to worry that something just isn't right. It is also your responsibility to do the therapy and work the joint to the prescribed limits once it's time for recovery. If it's too painful or physically impossible, you need to ring the bell for a new look. (90 degrees of extension isn't very much).