See, I take issue with some of these and here's why:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Honestly? Now that I've read about it - I'd like to try it.
Basically it sounds like mostly raw meat scorched on a grill. Outside cooked, inside warm and mostly raw.
That is how I typically like steak.
Isn't that called "Pittsburgh Rare?"

SamSpade

Dunno, never heard that expression.

My BIL used to work at very high end restaurants in Seattle - stuff was extra expensive - purposely - to make sure the clientele were only very very rich. He has a pic of him with Bill Gates, who evidently could ride his boat over to their dock. Anyway - "scorched" WAS one of the options - a kitchen that would sear the outside of the meat and leave the rest as steak tartar.

I do something like that at home, but it doesn't sit well when my wife - and others - prefer their steaks WELL DONE. I hate "well done". To me, that's the best way to remove any trace of flavor left in the meat. I like it cooked JUST ENOUGH so the meat isn't stringy. Most of the time if I see something "well done" it no longer has the slightest bit of moisture left - it is a dry hunk of nearly burned tissue.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I've heard this called black & blue. But the only place I've heard it called that was New Jersey. And that was over 40 years ago.

And this is what the internet says:
What is ordering a steak black and blue?

One of the oldest ways to eat a grilled steak is called Black and Blue, or Pittsburgh style. You can achieve it by charring the outside while maintaining a rare to medium-rare internal temperature, or blue steak.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When I landed in upstate NY near Watertown, the locals told me I needed to have a certain brand baloney, cheese curds and something called salt potatoes. The baloney sucked. It was too sweet. The potatoes were boiled in highly salted water and finished with butter and chopped parsley. The grocery stores sold kits of potatoes and salt together. While good, I was unimpressed as it being a regional specialty. To me stuffed ham and beef on weck are regional specialties.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I've heard this called black & blue. But the only place I've heard it called that was New Jersey. And that was over 40 years ago.

And this is what the internet says:
What is ordering a steak black and blue?

One of the oldest ways to eat a grilled steak is called Black and Blue, or Pittsburgh style. You can achieve it by charring the outside while maintaining a rare to medium-rare internal temperature, or blue steak.
I thought the Black and Blue Steak was one they ruined with Blue Cheese all over it.

PeoplesElbow

Not sure if it's an Ohio/West Virginia/Southwest Pennsylvania thing or not but I've only seen old fashioned loaf, pickle loaf, pimento loaf in the deli of grocery stores there. I know Eckrich and Walnut Creek make these and they are Pittsburgh and Amish Ohio area companies.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Not sure if it's an Ohio/West Virginia/Southwest Pennsylvania thing or not but I've only seen old fashioned loaf, pickle loaf, pimento loaf in the deli of grocery stores there. I know Eckrich and Walnut Creek make these and they are Pittsburgh and Amish Ohio area companies.
Jewish and German delis in NY/NJ have them.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Those have been sold here for as long as I can remember, so not sure why you're not seeing them. Back when I ate deli meats, my favorite was always the p&p (pickle and pimento) loaf.

PeoplesElbow

Those have been sold here for as long as I can remember, so not sure why you're not seeing them. Back when I ate deli meats, my favorite was always the p&p (pickle and pimento) loaf.
I went to every grocery store in St Mary's and Calvert last summer when my mom wanted pickle loaf and couldnt find any sort of "loaf". The deli workers looked at me like I had three heads.

stgislander

PREMO Member
When I landed in upstate NY near Watertown, the locals told me I needed to have a certain brand baloney, cheese curds and something called salt potatoes. The baloney sucked. It was too sweet. The potatoes were boiled in highly salted water and finished with butter and chopped parsley. The grocery stores sold kits of potatoes and salt together. While good, I was unimpressed as it being a regional specialty. To me stuffed ham and beef on weck are regional specialties.
Sounds a lot like Lebanon bologna. It can be pretty sweet.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I went to every grocery store in St Mary's and Calvert last summer when my mom wanted pickle loaf and couldnt find any sort of "loaf". The deli workers looked at me like I had three heads.
Just looked on Giant's app and they have Boar's Head Deli Pickle and Pepper Loaf available in the deli. :sshrug:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Sounds a lot like Lebanon bologna. It can be pretty sweet.
Lebanon-Bologna-820x800.jpg

Toxick

Splat
Steamed crabs is what my kids wanted when they came back to MD, and where I'd take Nebraska etc friends when they came to visit. You can't get that just anywhere and most people in the US have no idea of the pleasure of picking crabs.

The crabcake recipe on the Phillips website is the best. Dont be a cheapo. Use lump crab meat, not whatever that shredded stuff is.

When I attempt to make crabcakes, I go all out. I use lump meat and premium ingredients.

It's not the content - it's the creator. I'm just not good at it. My talents lie elsewhere - however, I do enjoy the act of cooking and there are some creative kitchen concoctions I've made that are a hit. For instance, I make a tex-mex carne-asada bbq chili dish that will knock your Aunt Connie's socks off. Plus I make pretty good chicken tendies. Although I don't make that much any more now that my kids are past the tendies phase.

Crab cakes though. The best I've done is "Meh"

No kidding - I make great crabcakes and this is my secret.

I'll try that condiment though.

It's getting to be that time where crab fever starts to creep in.

Stuffed ham is delicious. So you're wrong and can no longer be Emperor. Sorry.

So when did you join Al Qaeda?

Mustard greens, collard greens, kale - these are all objectively horrible things. They quite literally taste like evil concentrate. And they poison and destroy anything that comes close. You can't enjoy them unless Satan has befouled your palette. They were not made for human consumption, and I don't trust people who eat them.

Ham is GOOD - but it's ruined when it gets contaminated with those bitter ass nasty "leafy vegetables". So not only does stuffed ham pollute the food ecosystem in general, it ruins a perfectly delicious hunk of meat that would otherwise have fed starving children.

Why do you hate children?

The only other Maryland tradition I find worse than this (And I think this is a Baltimore thing, rather than a Maryland thing - because only Baltimoreans do this) is to ruin a Thanksgiving Turkey with goddam sauerkraut. You walk into a relative's house expecting to inhale a snootful of delicious turkey and pumpkin pie aromas and you gag when the sauerkraut smell punches you right in the freaking face.

WHY would anyone do that?

I'm getting sick.

I'm out.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just saw Cook's County on PBS, and they say North Carolina's claim to fame is a shrimp sandwich. Chopped shrimp with a few spices and a tiny bit of mayo, covered in ground panko, pan fried, kind of like a crab cake.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Just saw Cook's County on PBS, and they say North Carolina's claim to fame is a shrimp sandwich. Chopped shrimp with a few spices and a tiny bit of mayo, pan fried, kind of like a crab cake.
I've made these before and had no idea it was regional. They are very tasty, too. I put a bit of Old Bay in the spice mix.