Senior Citizen Drivers

Force the elderly to re-take the driving test?

• Yes, after the age of 60.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Yes, after the age of 65.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Yes, after the age of 70.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Yes, after the age of 75.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • No.

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bcp

In My Opinion
And I'm thinking with the boomers getting close to that age, think of the windfall in revenues to the state.

obamacare should cover it.

the downside to testing them is that by the time we get that age, there will be a billion old people fighting each other over sidewalk space, on the rules of moving your walker ridden ass over so the guy with the good legs can get by without having to go around you, people following each other too close and grannies getting goosed etc..

I do see problems here.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I think EVERYONE should re-take a driving test periodically, not just for the driving skill, but for the written exam.

I can understand an actual driving test and eye exam but what's the point of re-taking the written exam? No one I've seen follows the driver's manual anyway so such a test would be pointless.

P.S. My mom is 83 and probably drives better than most drivers out there, myself included!

bcp

In My Opinion
I can understand an actual driving test and eye exam but what's the point of re-taking the written exam? No one I've seen follows the driver's manual anyway so such a test would be pointless.

Do you not drive
do you not read these forums?

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
Having driven for many a moon and in both the USA and Europe, I think everyone should be fully retested whenever they are up for renewal and by fully retested I mean both written and on the road. None of the parking lot crap. That is not what get's people killed. People need to demonstrate they can merge in and out of traffic and travel with the flow of traffic in their area.

I don't have any trouble merging with the Amish buggies around here :shrug:
Now the Beltway is another story.....

P.S. My mom is 83 and probably drives better than most drivers out there, myself included!

Do you not drive
do you not read these forums?
^this.

As has been pointed out many times, bad driving can be a direct result of not knowing or understanding the rules of the road. A periodic refresher course would at least make sure they are being shown the right thing.

Whether they understand and use that information is another story.

luvmygdaughters

IMHO, most accidents are caused by the young inexperienced drivers or the older (70+) ones. Therefore, I say, between the ages of 16 - 25 tested every two years. Over the age of 70, every year. Speaking for myself only, teens have no experience with bad weather, road construction, etc. They think they can drive like a bat out of hell and do it as well as a Nascar driver, so to me, they are the most dangerous drivers out there. When I think back on my teenage years, I'm lucky to be alive after riding with some of my friends who had just gotten their license.

BOP

I voted Yes for after the age of 65, and that's not too far away from my age! Yikes, where did the time go? Anyway, I think that they should have a Doctor's Note also, saying that the reflex factor is still there. There is also a test called The Mini Mental exam that alerts the Doctor to the possibility of Alzeimers Disease. I was watching an elderly man getting out of his car at the post office one day, I didn't have a stop watch, but I swear it took him almost 4 minutes to get out from behind the wheel!!

You try having sex at that age...you'd be sore too!

DEEKAYPEE8569

Well Into His 80's

.....my Grampa still drove. He drove what many today would call a 'land yacht;' a '68 Galaxie 500; then an older Nissan pickup. In that Galaxie, Grampa had a lead foot. If he drove us somewhere, we were sliding from one side of the car to the other when he made turns; and lunging forward when he stopped. Many times, "Jeez Grampa!" was said. The one accident he was in that I know about was not his fault or a result of his driving style.
Go figure.

BOP

Having driven for many a moon and in both the USA and Europe, I think everyone should be fully retested whenever they are up for renewal and by fully retested I mean both written and on the road. None of the parking lot crap. That is not what get's people killed. People need to demonstrate they can merge in and out of traffic and travel with the flow of traffic in their area.

That pretty much eliminates most of the native population around here.

:coffee:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Where does it stop? Maybe OP should have had to take a test before popping out so many babies? How about a test to join the forums and post? A test to buy alcohol :shrug:

Or a drug test before any welfare..

Oh I do agree with people being asked to take a parenting test/class before they get knocked up. :yay:

:yeahthat:

You all wouldn't be talkin all this chit if you were close to the ages mentioned in the poll..:whistle: :lmao: