Shingles

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Just FYI--Shingles vaccine is usually only given to those over 60, (fda guidelines), unless you have had an active case. It seems to me that with so many under 60 getting them, they would give them earlier in life.

BIL & SIL just went to get the vaccine and there won't ba any available until the end of the month....(At least at CVS) You order it and when it come in, you pay for it and go directly to Dr. to have it injected....I think is is about $200.00....Wifey is checking on it today....I may have to put my order in now....

belvak

Happy Camper
Just FYI--Shingles vaccine is usually only given to those over 60, (fda guidelines), unless you have had an active case. It seems to me that with so many under 60 getting them, they would give them earlier in life.

Looks like I have a few years to wait then. Hope I don't turn into one of those who get it before they are scheduled to... :ohwell: I did have a pretty good case of chicken pox when I was little, so maybe it will skip me!

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
My BIL had them and the first month was rough. It was about 90 days from beginning rash to feeling normal. He said he's rather give birth than go through it again.

terbear1225

Has anyone ever had shingles?
That is all...

I had them about 5 years ago, right after returning to work after maternity leave. Must have had a mild case though, I don't remember them being nearly as painful as most people say they are. (maybe because the pain of childbirth was still fresh in my mind?)

wch

I unfortunately had it twice, in 1988, and again 2 years ago, the last session was miserable but it did help to put neosporine w/ pain reliever on a guaze pad over the rash, at least I could get a shirt on to get to the Doc's, the rest was total agony, I could not lay down for a week, and had to sleep sitting up, I sure do hope you get over them soon

Joe'smom

There are things that can be done to manage Post Herpetic Neuralgia....
Medications used to help with nerve pain--like topical lidocaine patches, Capsacian cream (otc) and prescriptions like prednisone and Lyrica have been known to be helpful. Narcotics help to be able to function but its not a "fix"--its a "cover up" for coping.
Accupuncture is also another option.....and I have known of some people who got great relief with just that.

Just out of curiosity --did anyone give you antiviral meds and or prednisone when this was diagnosed?---they can dramatically shorten the course of the blisters and prevent long term PHN. Unfortunately...you can get it again--the herpes zoster virus(chicken pox) has made itself a home on the particular set of nerves your experiencing the pain in.

Hope your feeling better soon---that kind of pain is just unbelievable--you just cant get away from it--no position helps...ice,heat--hell-- clothing touching your skin is uncomfortable! :crazy::crazy:

dachsom

Medications used to help with nerve pain--like topical lidocaine patches, Capsacian cream (otc) and prescriptions like prednisone and Lyrica have been known to be helpful. Narcotics help to be able to function but its not a "fix"--its a "cover up" for coping.
Accupuncture is also another option.....and I have known of some people who got great relief with just that.

Just out of curiosity --did anyone give you antiviral meds and or prednisone when this was diagnosed?---they can dramatically shorten the course of the blisters and prevent long term PHN. Unfortunately...you can get it again--the herpes zoster virus(chicken pox) has made itself a home on the particular set of nerves your experiencing the pain in.

Hope your feeling better soon---that kind of pain is just unbelievable--you just cant get away from it--no position helps...ice,heat--hell-- clothing touching your skin is uncomfortable! :crazy::crazy:

I did the full course of antiviral meds and I am still on the nerve pain meds. I have flare ups and the itching is driving me crazy. You are right on the money about how bad the pain is,

BIL & SIL just went to get the vaccine and there won't ba any available until the end of the month....(At least at CVS) You order it and when it come in, you pay for it and go directly to Dr. to have it injected....I think is is about $200.00....Wifey is checking on it today....I may have to put my order in now....

most insurance companies won't cover it either, I checked into it. I've had chicken pox 6 times and shingles 3 times...

some kinda odd immunity thing...

oh geez the shingles hurt so bad you can't even stand for your clothes to touch your skin.

Last edited:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?

When I self diagnosed mine, I went to the emergency room the following morning and they said I was right. They gave me antiviral meds, prednisone and Vicodin and a prescription for more and believe me I have been poppin...That was almost 3 months ago and I am on Lyrica now but it is still there and won't go away...I feel fine except for the pain...It has attacked the nerves on the inside...Rash is long gone...Never had a real problem with itching...Just a burning undescribable pain that is there....I know what you mean about the clothing touching the skin....

I did the full course of antiviral meds and I am still on the nerve pain meds. I have flare ups and the itching is driving me crazy. You are right on the money about how bad the pain is,

How long did it last?