Should Germany have a Veterans' Day?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
http://www.thelocal.de/opinion/20120405-41767.html

Germany is introducing a US-style Veterans’ Day to honour the sacrifices made by its military. But many remain deeply uneasy about Germany's military history and are divided by the idea. What do you think? Have your say.
It doesn't really matter what cause they were fighting for, the government at the time called upon it's son's and daughters and they came, therefore they deserve to be respected and honored for their sacrifice.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Which bunch has had more wars to remember (well, perhaps the Greeks, Persians and Jews) than the Germans?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Germany is a sovereign nation (aka they have actual borders) and they can honor anybody they damn well please.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Why even question it? Vets fought or put themselves in harm's way or stood the interminable watch to serve the nation. Seems like a no-brainer. Uniformed and uniform in their obedience, "regulars" of every nation have served with honor. To recognize them is eminently correct, as they who survive try to return to "normal" life, many with unseen wounds that few can understand.

Bavarian

Yes, it is about time that Germans stop being afraid to honor her heroes and those who fought, died, and suffered during the Wars. My Father deserverd recognition for his service in the Kriegsmarine and later on the ground when the Navy lost many ships. His Brother in the Wehrmacht deserved honor. And especially their four brothers who were killed in the War.

Germany is always too worries about offending the enemies at the time then her Veteran's.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes, it is about time that Germans stop being afraid to honor her heroes and those who fought, died, and suffered during the Wars. My Father deserverd recognition for his service in the Kriegsmarine and later on the ground when the Navy lost many ships. His Brother in the Wehrmacht deserved honor. And especially their four brothers who were killed in the War.

Germany is always too worries about offending the enemies at the time then her Veteran's.

You can say that again! :jet:

:lol:

Why is this a discussion? Like Micki said, they already have a Veteran's Day. And if they didn't why would we care whether they make one or not?

Hessian

The old men...

appraise each other with quiet assumption and meet at the corners of the Beer platz or Garten...quiet conversation connects the where & when,...and a solemn toast follows. They reach in their wallets for old fotos, and part company before it gets to loud or late....

That is their version of veterans day....seen it a few times while I was reenacting over there.

Bavarian

You can say that again! :jet:

:lol:

Why is this a discussion? Like Micki said, they already have a Veteran's Day. And if they didn't why would we care whether they make one or not?

Volkstrauertag is not a a Veteran's Day! It is more a day honoring general suffering by the people, again a PC holiday.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Volkstrauertag is not a a Veteran's Day! It is more a day honoring general suffering by the people, again a PC holiday.

Wiki sez:

Volkstrauertag (German: people's mourning day) is a public holiday in Germany on the second from last Sunday before the first day of Advent. It commemorates all those who died in armed conflicts or as the victims of violent oppression. It was first observed in its modern form in 1952.

Take it up with them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
appraise each other with quiet assumption and meet at the corners of the Beer platz or Garten...quiet conversation connects the where & when,...and a solemn toast follows. They reach in their wallets for old fotos, and part company before it gets to loud or late....

That is their version of veterans day....seen it a few times while I was reenacting over there.

never re-enacted over there, but met a few one on one in the pub..

Their veterans served, and were all but forgotten, kind of a ploitical necessity.. but they all understood the professionalism that went with being a soldier, and answering the call when your country demanded.

These men had no choice, they HAD to serve, and the truth was kept from them as to what it was they were fighting for. We fought on their turf, and they thought they were fighting for the survival of the country, and their families.

There should be no less pride for their veterans than we have for ours. Their suffering and sacrifices are no less than our veterans (if not more with the guilt they've had to carry their entire lives)..

Not many reunions over there for their WWII units, no rememberances, no honors bestowed.. no Aviation Awards named after their best and brightest.. They just live out the rest of their lives quietly, while the country waits for them and the memories to fade away.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We do have a Veterans' Day in Germany! It's called "Volkstrauertag" (meaning "peoples' grieving day") and is in mid November.

I remember this being not about Veterans, as much as it was for all passed relatives. Germans would go to the graves of their relatives and place flowers and the like, and it was a general rememberance day.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm on a private list elsewhere with many folks from various European nations.

As a veteran corresponding with other veterans and current military members, I see the undercurrent of pride and self-sacrifice, which we see in our own young men and women here in the US.

Neither veterans nor active duty soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines or coasties are responsible for the politicians or politics that power their government and its decisions. The exception being at the ballot box.

Everyone who serves does so either as a volunteer or as a draftee, depending upon nation. All, in my experience, love their country to some degree and back its stance.

I think the old adage, hate the sin, love the sinner kind of comes into play. We may not agree with the system that anyone else serves, but they themselves are deserving of respect for their service.