Should parents have to pay for their kids' weddings?

TPD

the poor dad
Life is about making memories, not money. Memories can’t be made by going to the courthouse and getting married, then going to a restaurant to eat and then the local motel to do what you’ve been doing for the last couple of years. Memories are made when aunt Margaret, who never drinks, has 2 glasses of wine and shows her boobs to the groom. Memories are made when the flower girl throws herself down in the middle of the church and refuses to go any farther. Memories are made when shy mom does karaoke at the reception in front of hundreds.

As much as I would like to give my daughter the money I would spend on a wedding to elope, I will enjoy putting a video together for her of that special day and watching it for years after.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My first wife's father offered me a substantial sum.

If I'd leave town and stop seeing his daughter.

Life is about making memories, not money. Memories can’t be made by going to the courthouse and getting married, then going to a restaurant to eat and then the local motel to do what you’ve been doing for the last couple of years. Memories are made when aunt Margaret, who never drinks, has 2 glasses of wine and shows her boobs to the groom. Memories are made when the flower girl throws herself down in the middle of the church and refuses to go any farther. Memories are made when shy mom does karaoke at the reception in front of hundreds.

As much as I would like to give my daughter the money I would spend on a wedding to elope, I will enjoy putting a video together for her of that special day and watching it for years after.
Did Aunt Margaret juggle?

black dog

Free America
You need to invite two of my sisters and our mom to your familys weddings.
The cost of a few stamps and invitations would be money well spent...

Grumpy

Perfect!!

one-day fancy party to acknowledge love and joining of families is great, but the same money given to the new couple as a house down payment lasts longer.
We were saving for a down payment. Ended up being able to buy our first house without the elopement money.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Memories can’t be made by going to the courthouse and getting married, then going to a restaurant to eat and then the local motel to do what you’ve been doing for the last couple of years.

I think @BadGirl would disagree because that's almost exactly what she and ItsBob did.

Most of the people I know who had big splashy weddings, you can't reminisce about it because they're divorced and don't want to hear about what a great time their wedding was.

I love it when other people spend a fortune on a wedding and invite me. I'm just too practical to do it myself. When Larry asked me to marry him he gave me the most gorgeous diamond. After a couple days I couldn't take it anymore, and asked him to return it. We needed to finish the basement of his house to make bedrooms for the kids and I have an aversion to debt.

Not trying to bust on anyone - do you and enjoy - just giving you a different perspective.

We went ring shopping together. He wanted the big diamond ring for me. I said I was happy with the 10k gold wedding set with diamond chips. He finally agreed when I told him he could get me real diamonds for my 10th anniversary band. On our 10th anniversary I received my full carats diamonds gold band and that is what I’ve worn ever since.

We had a huge wedding but didn’t break the bank. We were married at Holy Angels and had reception at church hall across the street. Decorating was inexpensive but we did have Micks Quail Inn of LaPlata cater. My mom’s one job was to bring the bottle of champagne for the wedding party to toast. She forgot do we had ginger ale. My MIL made our beautiful wedding cake. Everyone was all in for the dancing and adult beverages. The DJ was Kevin Brown. Anybody familiar with him knew we had great music. The crowd kept passing hat around to keep Kevin beyond normal end time and to keep the booze runs going. Yes, it was worth every minute and dollar for us.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We went ring shopping together. He wanted the big diamond ring for me. I said I was happy with the 10k gold wedding set with diamond chips. He finally agreed when I told him he could get me real diamonds for my 10th anniversary band. On our 10th anniversary I received my full carats diamonds gold band and that is what I’ve worn ever since.

We had a huge wedding but didn’t break the bank. We were married at Holy Angels and had reception at church hall across the street. Decorating was inexpensive but we did have Micks Quail Inn of LaPlata cater. My mom’s one job was to bring the bottle of champagne for the wedding party to toast. She forgot do we had ginger ale. My MIL made our beautiful wedding cake. Everyone was all in for the dancing and adult beverages. The DJ was Kevin Brown. Anybody familiar with him knew we had great music. The crowd kept passing hat around to keep Kevin beyond normal end time and to keep the booze runs going. Yes, it was worth every minute and dollar for us.
Nothing says class like a wedding in the 7D. :yay:

All Saints Episcopal Church, then a reception at the American Legion. :lol:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Big family wedding here, reception planned for the back yard. We cooked food for over a week. Morning of the wedding, rain. Some of our invited guests spent the wedding moving everything down to the KC Hall.

Had a great time, still enjoy talking about it and looking at the photos. Some of hubby's family drove 12 hrs, sat thru wedding and danced for hours at the reception, then drove 12 hrs home. They had to witness him marrying, couldn't believe the "rolling stone that gathers no moss" was doing so.

Lots of good years, with some really bad years, some one or the other of us didn't think we'd make it. Living the settled years now, and really glad we plowed thru the bad ones.

Big family wedding here, reception planned for the back yard. We cooked food for over a week. Morning of the wedding, rain. Some of our invited guests spent the wedding moving everything down to the KC Hall.

Had a great time, still enjoy talking about it and looking at the photos. Some of hubby's family drove 12 hrs, sat thru wedding and danced for hours at the reception, then drove 12 hrs home. They had to witness him marrying, couldn't believe the "rolling stone that gathers no moss" was doing so.

Lots of good years, with some really bad years, some one or the other of us didn't think we'd make it. Living the settled years now, and really glad we plowed thru the bad ones.
Making it to the settled in and growing old together is worth all the effort getting there.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The DJ was Kevin Brown. Anybody familiar with him knew we had great music.
We had a live band, made up of 5 of my high school classmates.
They wanted only to be fed and get drinks from the bar instead of their usual fee.
Joe, the band leader, said they wanted to give me a good send off.
Joe, David, Carmine, Tom, Bob and I had gone to school together from pre-K to High School graduation.

I still "see" them on Facebook.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It was perfect!
Our reception was far from perfect. I was the light man for a heavy metal band at the time. The sound man was our DJ. He "reloaded" the cassette tape that I had set up earlier in the day. Our first dance was supposed to be to song #2 from side one. Dufus flipped the tape and rewound it to play song #1 from side two. So instead of Kenny Rogers "Through the Years" he played "I Don't Need You". Stupid head bangers.