Should parents have to pay for their kids' weddings?

"Dear Quentin,
Our only daughter is getting married. It’s getting expensive. Do we owe her younger brothers anything to even out the monetary gifts? One of them is married, and we covered the groom’s side of that wedding, but that was about 15% of what our daughter’s wedding costs will be. We have the money, but we’re unsure about our duties to our other children. Many thanks."

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The bride and groom should be paying for their own weddings.

That way they learn to pay for their own mistakes from the git-go.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I can think of one instance that the parents should have to pay for the kids wedding, if they're trying to sell a child bride. I didn't say it was a legal, moral or even the tiniest bit ethical, but it is an instance.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Dear Quentin,
Our only daughter is getting married. It’s getting expensive. Do we owe her younger brothers anything to even out the monetary gifts? One of them is married, and we covered the groom’s side of that wedding, but that was about 15% of what our daughter’s wedding costs will be. We have the money, but we’re unsure about our duties to our other children. Many thanks."

Bitches be crazy. What parents should do is set aside x-amount of money for each kid, and what they do with it is up to them. If they want to blow it on some shindig wedding, fine. If they want to save it to buy a house, fine. If they want to use it to start a business, fine. If they want to hoard it under their mattress so some lucky landlord can find it upon their death, fine.

mitzi

And as Vrai pointed out, so many marriages result in divorce so why bother?

I agree. I've seen people I know and relatives pay God know how much on weddings/receptions with open bars/bands. Only for the couple to divorce a few years later. Total waste of money.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree. I've seen people I know and relatives pay God know how much on weddings/receptions with open bars/bands. Only for the couple to divorce a few years later. Total waste of money.

My high school bestie and her husband were still paying off their elaborate wedding when they divorced. :lol:

But I did look stunning in that Maid of Honor dress! :diva:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
And as Vrai pointed out, so many marriages result in divorce so why bother?
I am the only one of my parents' 4 children who has not been divorced.

Brother never remarried, one sister had 3 husbands (3 kids by the 1st one) and my younger sister remarried the same guy after a 5 year hiatus. They had 3 kids, too.

Grumpy

Funny, of all my high school friends, the one that got married the day after graduation stayed married until he passed 2 years ago. If you had asked me 3 years after graduation, which couple would likely divorce, I would have named them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Funny, of all my high school friends, the one that got married the day after graduation stayed married until he passed 2 years ago. If you had asked me 3 years after graduation, which couple would likely divorce, I would have named them.

You never know. Friends of mine married at 15/17 because she was pregnant, had a don't ask don't tell fidelity agreement, plus a number of other chits on the minus side, and they're coming up on 50 years.