Shouldn't BOTH parents get a tax expemption for the children

Ken,
WoW, a grandchild ! That is wonderful.
My gosh I did not think of you to be a grandad. ( do not take that the wrong way)

Are you local? I wonder if t has something to do with the courts, but it sounds like you had your shi& together. Let me ask you this and if it is to personal jsut say so.
But how is the realtionship with the ex now? Did she support her children and I do not mean just money wise.

BL

Hippiechick,

The whole thing sounds pretty sick to me.  It is too bad that the kids won’t say anything.  But I can see why they are intimidated.  

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hippiechick,

That is grandchild number 4.

To your question, no it is not that personal.  She does not see them very much at all.  When I had custody and it was her visitation period I would run them from the Leonardtown area up to Waldorf because she wouldn't come and pick them up.  Many a time they sat on the steps waiting for her to show and she never did.  I never received a cent for support and didn’t make it an issue.  I never badmouthed her in front of them, but soon they had their own strong opinions.  My relationship with her could be classified as cordial, but I don't care to communicate at all with her.  I would pass messages to the kids form her and back but that is the extent of it.  As the kids are grown and on their own it isn’t an issue for me anymore.

Ken:king:,
I am sorry to hear that you and your children had to go thru that. I went thru that with my mother. It is nice to see you still have a healthy outlook on life.
I am getting a better picture of why you feel the way you do in your posts.
I guess there are more than one side of an issue. I really am sorry about coming off so rudely and childish.:blushing:
I have a hot temper and can be very stubborn at times.
Enjoy the new addition to your family.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Hippiechick,

No need to apologize about your posts, I kind of enjoyed the bantering back and forth, like you said earlier we worked it out.  No problem here as it should be obvious that I too can be obnoxious.   I consider it part of the forum game.

As to what the kids and I went through, it could have been worse had I left the kids with her, which was my first instinct due to my belief that kids are better off being with their mother.  Unfortunately, my ex proved that belief wrong, at least for us.  Fortunately I decided to step in and do the proper thing, a decision I will never regret.

I'm really looking forward to meeting the new tike, problem is it's being a little stubborn and hasn't made its appearance yet.  Shouldn’t be too much longer though, at least I hope for so for the mother’s sake.  I remember being called every name in the book and having the bones in my hand crunched when mine were born.  Now it is my baby boy’s turn in the hot seat.  He is of good character and should do well as a Dad.  If not he will have me to answer to and I assure you that won’t be any fun.  

(Edited by Ken King at 5:36 pm on May 1, 2002)

Steve

Enjoying life!
Hippie-

All I can say about the folks you know is "Document! Document! Document!"

My spouse and I never went through the court system to a degree that things were mandated to us above and beyond the norm. We were told what we should pay monthly in support and we paid it, not that we could afford it at the time, but it was something that had to be done. Period.

Fortunately, the ex never trumped up new charges for various expenses, thus raising the bill!

But that was the point I was making initially. Adults, reasonable adults, can come to an agreement and abide by it. What you describe is unfortunately the norm. People taking advantage of the free money rolling in, and look for ways to increase it. I know a guy that separated amicably that now pays over $1200 a month in child support, AND is expected to fork over extra money for what is termed "out of the ordinary" expenses. He is a good and responsible Dad to those kids, so he does what is asked. Most people aren't like that. A sad truth about humanity I think.

Greed is a powerful motivator, especially when the recipient doesn't have a lot to fall back on. So my advice is to document everything, every exchange, every visit, every "out of the norm" request. It makes your day in court that much easier if and when it occurs. Right Ken?

-S

Ken King

PREMO Member
Steve,

Can't argue with you on that, documentation makes it easier to get what you are after.

Sounds like good advice to me.
Well I am getting ready to leave for a day or two to help my family. They were one of the families that were struck by the tornado in southern Maryland. Until then take care.

Jetmonkey,
Hmmm just curious exactly how old are you and how long have you been married and how many children do you have.
Before I respond to your oat I would like to get a better picture.

Jetmonkey,
Also if it would not be to much on you, would you please explain in a little more detail what you are trying to say. Maybe you should start your own survey since your answer realy did not apply to the post.
One more question. You mean to tell me that you do not claim any kind of exemptions what so ever on your taxes?

modwoman

:smile:
Well I must say I had a lot of reading to catch up since the last time I was here.
Cool with the grand-baby Ken.

Monkeyman,
did not understand your post too well.
But I can say this unless you have walked a mile in my shoes do  not try to understand me. Why my marriage broke up has no bearing to the topic. Your post had the tune of a very young and bored person who has no real input on the subject but just looking to troll forums.

Vriablonde,
what are you laughing at? You would be included in his posts.
Is that all you do is look for fights?
Why? Can life be that boring?
Better to discuss things than argue like children and accomplish nothing.
:moon:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mod, I wasn't laughing, I was applauding.  I'm not defensive about Jetmonkey's post because no one has ever paid my kids' way except me and their Dad.  Therefore I don't think his/her post is targeted at me.

I'm not sure why you think my applauding his comment means I'm looking for a fight.

BL

Jetmonkey,

I am married and have kids.  I see your point.  Some people do ask for handouts and abuse the current system.  My problem is with the current tax system.  It sucks!  We should go to a flat tax and get rid of the IRS all together.  Then no one can bitch.

modwoman

Appaulding is just as bad.
Flammers are people who have nothing better to do with time.
Lets move on to the topic, I agree. I think that a flat rate would be a great idea.
We pay so much out in taxes as it is thru out the year. I wonder how it would work as a flat rate?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'll raise my hand in favor of the flat tax.  In fact, what would happen if we got rid of all that state and federal gobbledygook and raised the sales tax instead?  Here's how it works:

Those who make more money buy more stuff, right?  Those who make less money buy less stuff.  So the tax contribution would be equitably spread according to income.  Also, people in professions that aren't currently taxed because they're illegal (prostitutes, drug sellers, etc.) are now paying their share.  We'd even be making money off of tourists who come here from other countries - they buy stuff, right?  No more tax forms, no more deductions, no more child credit - it's all in there.

So take the current sales tax, add some points for federal, and see what happens.  I realize this idea is rather simplistic and I'm sure there are numerous flaws - someone poke holes in my theory.

modwoman

Vriablonde,
Sometimes the best things come in "simple" packages. The idea sounds good to me.
That would include no more taxes out of the wages right?
Doesn't Sweeden have a similar plan?

BL

Modwoman,

Blonde pretty much covered the plan.  Say goodbye to the IRS also.  And no taxes out of wages.  Everybody buys stuff so everyone would be paying taxes.