Skills-based hiring...don't need a degree

Clem72

I re-read that and the only thing I saw was "business" I think these are soft skills, I think a lot of jobs required a degree "just because". My EX got a bullshit degree that fits many of these jobs, but I am pretty sure that nothing in her political science or Spanish degrees made her more qualified for anything.
I always thought getting a degree in a language was kind of strange. Like, it only takes two seconds to verify if the person is actually fluent in that language. I guess maybe if the job was to TEACH the language, same reason someone would get an English degree if they speak English. BTW, I know two ladies with English degrees and one works as a grocery store manager and the other worked as a server until she found a sugar daddy. Oddly enough, they probably both would have been better served with a degree in Spanish.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I re-read that and the only thing I saw was "business" I think these are soft skills, I think a lot of jobs required a degree "just because".
If that was the case then why were the vast majority of qualified hires those with degrees?....which was the conclusion of the study after all.

glhs837

Power with Control
If that was the case then why were the vast majority of qualified hires those with degrees?....which was the conclusion of the study after all.

So I'm gonna go with the fact that you can't get the experience you need lower down in the food chain without a degree, leading to a preponderance of candidates with experience having degrees. My last three jobs have all had degree requirements (first was an associates, the other two bachelors) that I bypassed due to experience.

PeoplesElbow

There are many useless degrees, there are many jobs that say they require a degree probably as a weed out factor. I know many stores required degrees for certain types of clerks/salesmen. I can't say a degree really gets you any better of an employee in this situation. About 20 years ago I remember Sherwin-Williams making a big deal about hiring people with degrees in their stores in the annual prospectus (I was a share holder). To me that is the perfect skill type hire vs degree.

Then there are other jobs that I think a degree would be much more appropriate than some skills.

I know someone who bragged about having 20 years experience at something when really what he had was one year experience 20x in a row.

There is a lot of gray area.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When I was a hiring manager, I quickly learned that a bullshit degree usually equated to a bs employee. They were eliminated in the first round.