Sleep Disorders...

Toxick

Splat
Larry Gude said:
We'll see in time if that holds true.

If you're anything like me, it will.

I've been using a CPAP for about 3 years now. It's a beautiful thing. The only problem is, every so often I need to replace the mask. I have to have the air-pressure turned up pretty high (16), so I have to crank the facemask down pretty tight to prevent air-leaks. This tends to burst the gel border sealer around the edge of the mask after a while.

After a year in Arizona, I had to replace the humidifier too. I never had to use it in MD.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They started me...

Toxick said:
If you're anything like me, it will.

I've been using a CPAP for about 3 years now. It's a beautiful thing. The only problem is, every so often I need to replace the mask. I have to have the air-pressure turned up pretty high (16), so I have to crank the facemask down pretty tight to prevent air-leaks. This tends to burst the gel border sealer around the edge of the mask after a while.

After a year in Arizona, I had to replace the humidifier too. I never had to use it in MD.

...at 4, went to 6 then stopped at 8. I can't imagine 14.

Toxick

Splat
Larry Gude said:
...at 4, went to 6 then stopped at 8. I can't imagine 14.

Well, I have it bad. It's hereditary. My Poppop (God rest his soul) always used to sound like there was a small piece of gas-powered farm equipment running throat whenever he would sleep - that's when he was breathing at all.

My father has a much milder case than either I or my grandfather have, but I have it bad. I have hundreds of apnea episodes per night.

I got used to the air pressure very very quickly - like within 5 minutes. Not to mention that after having the first good night sleep of my adult life, I would have made myself get used to it, even if there were morning dry-heaves or sexual side effects.

However, the only problem with having that kind of airflow is the fact that I have to crank-down on the facial straps, and it puts a whoopin' on the gel-seal.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I hear yah...

Toxick said:
Well, I have it bad. It's hereditary. My Poppop (God rest his soul) always used to sound like there was a small piece of gas-powered farm equipment running throat whenever he would sleep - that's when he was breathing at all.

My father has a much milder case than either I or my grandfather have, but I have it bad. I have hundreds of apnea episodes per night.

I got used to the air pressure very very quickly - like within 5 minutes. Not to mention that after having the first good night sleep of my adult life, I would have made myself get used to it, even if there were morning dry-heaves or sexual side effects.

However, the only problem with having that kind of airflow is the fact that I have to crank-down on the facial straps, and it puts a whoopin' on the gel-seal.

I gotta wait two weeks or so now to get the damn machine. I don't wanna sleep until then!

Bonehead

Toxick - Try a google search for the adams circuit mask. Fits directly into your nose....sounds funky but less hassle that a full/partial face mask. My pressure is 14mm and mine has been working for over 7 years. You all may want to consider an inverter and a deep cycle marine 12 Volt battery for when the power goes out, or for camping. I have spent as much as 10 days at Scout Camp recharging the battery every few days.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bonehead...

Bonehead said:
You all may want to consider an inverter and a deep cycle marine 12 Volt battery for when the power goes out, or for camping. I have spent as much as 10 days at Scout Camp recharging the battery every few days.

...I was wondering about that.

So, it's not OK to miss a night here and there while traveling or power out?

Candle Lover

If you miss a few nights without your CPAP machine, you will realize how sleep deprived you were! My husband misses nights when he is on travel for work. He doesn't want his machine lost with baggage or anything. Since traveling can take a lot out of you and you are without you're machine, you will be extra tired.

Vince

Tonio said:
I've had bad snoring for years, and I can't take a daytime nap without waking up with a headache and overall body weakness. According to my wife, my snoring is worst when I lay on my right side. My doctor prescribed me Nasacort at bedtime, a nasal spray that is supposed to shrink adenoids. It works, even though I thought my adenoids were taken out with my tonsils almost 30 years ago.
If it has steriods in it, get rid of it. Don't use Afrin either. I was addicted to afrin for years. Then I got my third nose surgery and finally able to breathe correctly. Still didn't cure my snoring or apnea.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tonight is the LAST night...

...of freaking gasping and tossing and turning and snoring and feeling like a narcoleptic.

Tomorrow I get...THE MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cue: "Danger Zone"

Lilypad

This machine is a God send-just ask anyone who sleeps with a person who had apnea! They work immediately! My partner use to get up in the middle of night, nodded off during non sleeping times, yelled, screamed, jumped, kicked and sat straight up in bed before the C-Pap-now, ahhhhhhhhh a peaceful nights sleep-that's what I get too! Truly a miracle folks!
I encourage anyone who has apnea or knows of someone who does to check into this. They are expensive, (of course) check w/your HMO or healthcare provider for coverage.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Thursday night of this week I go back to St. Mary's while they fiddle and fit to get the pressure/mask correct, then there's a follow-up with my ENT, and then I'll have the machine. It seems like I've gotten LESS rest since being diagnosed with the Apnea a month or so ago. Anything to help me sleep better will be welcome, and the dog (who shares the room with me at night) will probably appreciate the noise reduction.

I'm glad to see these enthusiastic opinions! Makes me feel better about doing it.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I'm going in for a sleep test next month. For a few years I've woken up in the mornings feeling tired and weary, often with a headache. On weekends it takes me a while to get energy in the mornings, even though I don't stay up any later than on weekdays. There have been evenings where I've laid down at 8 p.m. for a few minutes and ended up dozing for 15 to 30 minutes against my will, and then woken up achy and weary.

just.me

Railroad said:
Thursday night of this week I go back to St. Mary's while they fiddle and fit to get the pressure/mask correct, then there's a follow-up with my ENT, and then I'll have the machine. It seems like I've gotten LESS rest since being diagnosed with the Apnea a month or so ago. Anything to help me sleep better will be welcome, and the dog (who shares the room with me at night) will probably appreciate the noise reduction.

I'm glad to see these enthusiastic opinions! Makes me feel better about doing it.

I go on July 8th for the sleep test. After reading all the posts, for the first time in my life, I wish I could speed up time and get a machine!! Last night was pretty bad, and I am feeling horrible today. People who don't have to deal with this do not realize how debilitating it really is.

Lilypad

just.me

I feel your pain- :poorbaby:
It's true, unlessen a person has it OR knows they have it (most don't)-know one knows the suffering.

just.me

Lilypad said:
I feel your pain- :poorbaby:
It's true, unlessen a person has it OR knows they have it (most don't)-know one knows the suffering.

Ooopppss.....sorry, I drifted off there for a minute..... :snooze:

but Thanks for being understanding.... :huggy:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It will be of interest...

Railroad said:

...to see how you rate the improvement in your life.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well that sux...

just.me said:
I go on July 8th for the sleep test. After reading all the posts, for the first time in my life, I wish I could speed up time and get a machine!! Last night was pretty bad, and I am feeling horrible today. People who don't have to deal with this do not realize how debilitating it really is.

...then I had to wait a month for the follow up, using a machine and then another couple weeks to actually get the thing.

You could be looking at August or later. I recomend pushing the process at every chance.