SMC Covid Data & VAST MAJORITY

Do at-home COVID tests actually work?
Yes and no. Dr. Blaivas tells explains that the at-home tests that are currently available are designed to be simpler to use than big laboratory tests and therefore often use different methods to identify evidence of infection. “These compromises in test design usually result in tests that are less accurate than the typical PCR or other molecular test that you might receive in a medical setting,” he says. “While you could say that the currently available at-home tests ‘work,’ they have limitations.” For example, he notes that you might end up having to verify a positive at-home test with a PCR laboratory test just to make sure the result you got at home is correct.

:doh:

TPD

the poor dad
Do at-home COVID tests actually work?
Yes and no. Dr. Blaivas tells explains that the at-home tests that are currently available are designed to be simpler to use than big laboratory tests and therefore often use different methods to identify evidence of infection. “These compromises in test design usually result in tests that are less accurate than the typical PCR or other molecular test that you might receive in a medical setting,” he says. “While you could say that the currently available at-home tests ‘work,’ they have limitations.” For example, he notes that you might end up having to verify a positive at-home test with a PCR laboratory test just to make sure the result you got at home is correct.

:doh:
Will those granted a religious or medical exemption who work for the federal government or a federal contractor be allowed to use at-home tests and submit as proof of negative 'rona?

TPD

the poor dad
SMC Covid update:

Something interesting I noticed when updating my spreadsheet today - hospitalization numbers were changed for the previous 4 or 5 weeks, mostly a decline in confirmed covid cases in the unvaxxed, meaning percentages of vaxxed hospitalizations have increased. The latest:

Hospitalization 4 Week Rolling Average - Aug 21, 2021 - 12% breakthrough cases in Fully Vaccinated residents.
Hospitalization 4 Week Rolling Average - Nov 20, 2021 - 34% breakthrough cases in Fully Vaccinated residents.

As you can see, the 4 week average jumped from 12% vaccinated hospitalizations in August to 34% three months later - not a good trend.

For the week ending 11/20/21, the latest reported data, there were a total of 12 covid patients in the hospital, 5 of those (42%) were fully vaccinated. 59% of SMC residents are currently fully vaccinated (I'm surprised the number isn't higher with the federal mandate). If the trend continues, it appears that within the next month or so, there will be no advantage of being vaccinated in hopes of staying out of the hospital. I wonder if Dr. Brewster will address this at her next meeting with the commissioners.

My only advice to everyone - like your standing hair/nail appointment every 3 months, get a standing appointment for your booster every 3 months as well.

General Lee

SMC Covid update:

Something interesting I noticed when updating my spreadsheet today - hospitalization numbers were changed for the previous 4 or 5 weeks, mostly a decline in confirmed covid cases in the unvaxxed, meaning percentages of vaxxed hospitalizations have increased. The latest:

Hospitalization 4 Week Rolling Average - Aug 21, 2021 - 12% breakthrough cases in Fully Vaccinated residents.
Hospitalization 4 Week Rolling Average - Nov 20, 2021 - 34% breakthrough cases in Fully Vaccinated residents.

As you can see, the 4 week average jumped from 12% vaccinated hospitalizations in August to 34% three months later - not a good trend.

For the week ending 11/20/21, the latest reported data, there were a total of 12 covid patients in the hospital, 5 of those (42%) were fully vaccinated. 59% of SMC residents are currently fully vaccinated (I'm surprised the number isn't higher with the federal mandate). If the trend continues, it appears that within the next month or so, there will be no advantage of being vaccinated in hopes of staying out of the hospital. I wonder if Dr. Brewster will address this at her next meeting with the commissioners.

My only advice to everyone - like your standing hair/nail appointment every 3 months, get a standing appointment for your booster every 3 months as well.
A spreadsheet?? Dude you need to relax. You let this consume you way too much, but yet you display a DGAF attitude. Which one is it??

TPD

the poor dad
A spreadsheet?? Dude you need to relax. You let this consume you way too much, but yet you display a DGAF attitude. Which one is it??
These "officials" are telling us the only way out of this "pandemic" is for everyone to get a jab. I'm trying to hold their feet to the fire and say not so fast, the numbers don't prove it. And it's not just "officials", it's everyday citizens I run across that think we all need to "do our part" by getting jabbed. I'm so sick of hearing that line, so again, I need to have the numbers to back me up. I've always been told, politics starts at the local level. So Dr. Brewster needs to be confronted with her own numbers when she is spending millions of our tax dollars with the vax sites/clinics - prove to me this is still necessary.

General Lee

These "officials" are telling us the only way out of this "pandemic" is for everyone to get a jab. I'm trying to hold their feet to the fire and say not so fast, the numbers don't prove it. And it's not just "officials", it's everyday citizens I run across that think we all need to "do our part" by getting jabbed. I'm so sick of hearing that line, so again, I need to have the numbers to back me up. I've always been told, politics starts at the local level. So Dr. Brewster needs to be confronted with her own numbers when she is spending millions of our tax dollars with the vax sites/clinics - prove to me this is still necessary.
I don't have an answer for you. You gotta do what feels best for you.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If you promise to be at the next CC meeting with your spreadsheet to rebutt Dr. Mean Girl, I promise to attend. I'll even wear a mask.

PeoplesElbow

Problem you are busting the balls of a private for decisions a general is making, you cant expect anyone in her position to break from convention. If she did, I'd expect she would get replaced by someone who didnt.

UglyBear

Possibly. We'll see what the rest of your platform is like
As Mr. TPD’s unannounced (and unwanted) running mate, I declare our platform is fair and good for all residents of St. Mary Co. It’s best summed up by a great band in the title of their greatest song,

I’m available for campaign events, shaking whatever and kissing babes .

TPD

the poor dad
As Mr. TPD’s unannounced (and unwanted) running mate, I declare our platform is fair and good for all residents of St. Mary Co. It’s best summed up by a great band in the title of their greatest song,

I’m available for campaign events, shaking whatever and kissing babes .

Good because I don’t wanna shake hands and lie about how cute your baby is. Babies are ugly as f...!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Problem you are busting the balls of a private for decisions a general is making, you cant expect anyone in her position to break from convention. If she did, I'd expect she would get replaced by someone who didnt.
Yeah. Having to unfortunately use this comparison, (only because of the constant drum beat of its use), .... The same could be said of those Germans that said, "I was just following orders", knowing they were illegal orders. She is not a "Private", she is a co-conspirator being paid handsomely to spew lies and propaganda when true opposing science is quelled and logic ridiculed. As part of the apparatus, anything she says is not to be trusted.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

Yeah. Having to unfortunately use this comparison, (only because of the constant drum beat of its use), .... The same could be said of those Germans that said, "I was just following orders", knowing they were illegal orders. She is not a "Private", she is a co-conspirator being paid handsomely to spew lies and propaganda when true opposing science is quelled and logic ridiculed. As part of the apparatus, anything she says is not to be trusted.
So do you think if she went against the apparatus she wouldn't have been replaced by another yes man?

TPD

the poor dad
So do you think if she went against the apparatus she wouldn't have been replaced by another yes man?
That's a question I've never gotten a clear answer to. Well actually my question last year when she closed my business was "who can fire Dr. Brewster?". The water is as clear as those around St. George Island at the moment when it comes to her firing. Something about she is paid by the county but hired by the state or vice versa so no one is really sure who can fire her or if she can be fired. And then throw in the local Board of Health which is actually made up of our elected county commissioners. They probably have a lot of oversight as the Board of Health but from what I have seen over the last year, they have given their power to the good Doctor and is basically going along with everything she says.

I did find this:
Appointed by the Secretary of Health, the Health Officer is the executive officer and secretary of the County Board of Health (Code Health-General Article, secs. 3-301 through 3-310).
  • BOARD OF HEALTH
    In St. Mary's County, the Board of County Commissioners constitutes the Board of Health. Each year, the Board meets in May and October, and at any other time the Board deems necessary (Code Health-General Article, secs. 3-101 through 3-202).

So that link says she is appointed by the state Secretary of Health. This link says she is appointed JOINTLY by the Secretary of Health and local governing body (county commissioners). As I said - clear waters....

To ensure that basic public health services are provided in all parts of Maryland, the Deputy Secretary for Public Health Services oversees the local health departments in each county and Baltimore City. Under direction of a local health officer, each local health department provides these services and administers and enforces State and local health laws and regulations in its jurisdiction. Programs meet the public health needs of the community and provide services not offered by the private sector. The local health officer is appointed jointly by the Secretary of Health and the local governing body (Code Health-General Article, secs. 3-101 through 3-405).

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Well actually my question last year when she closed my business was "who can fire Dr. Brewster?"
It is abundantly clear
Md. HEALTH-GENERAL Code Ann. § 3-302 g said:
(g) Removal; confidentiality. --
(1) The health officer for a county may be removed from office with the concurrence of the governing body of that county and the Secretary.
(2) (i) Any information concerning the removal of a health officer from office is confidential in accordance with Title 4 of the General Provisions Article.
(ii) Any meeting of the governing body of a county or any meeting that includes the Secretary related to the removal of a health officer from office shall be closed.

To remove the local health officer both the local board and the Secretary have to agree. So as long as the Secretary thinks they are fit, they stay even if the locals say no. And no one has a right to know anything about it.

TPD

the poor dad
It is abundantly clear

To remove the local health officer both the local board and the Secretary have to agree. So as long as the Secretary thinks they are fit, they stay even if the locals say no. And no one has a right to know anything about it.
thx for finding that

PeoplesElbow

It is abundantly clear

It would be interesting if the secretary wanted to get rid of them and the locals disagreed what would happen. I'm guessing most boards would just go along with the secretary's recommendation.

I suspect that is a go along to get along position.