SMECO failing to send bill

stgislander

PREMO Member
Somehow we also were switched to SMECO paperless billing. I think companies look for any semi-justification to do this. During a power outage when my wife called in, she selected the option of receiving text notification of power restoration. Then she started getting texts notifying us of our bill amount and due date. That meant, as I found out, that we stopped getting our paper bills. I was, therefore, late on one bill before I figured out that they stopped sending ye olde' fashion paper bills. I sighed and just adapted to the new process. I'm currently "straddling" the digital/paper world. I pay most bills electronically already, but I still get some paper bills. I guess I'm slowly being moved to the digital world.

Fun side story. Apparently with NFCU e-bill payment, some of the little companies still get a paper check from NFCU when I pay via e-billing. My trash company levied a late charge for a recent quarterly bill that was credited 5 days late. I had evidence of paying it on time, but the trash companies accounts person said she actually gets paper checks, and swears she checks their post office box every day. So I now have to adjust for possible slow mail delivery when I electronically pay my bill. What a wonderful modern world!

That's also a good point. My oil delivery company doesn't have e-billing capability with their bank, and my bank has to issue checks. It's stated that way on my online bill pay area with my bank that it takes 5 days min to deliver.

In my case, the company has an online payment portal that is instantaneous, so I go that route. Maybe your trash company has one of those?

Sounds like they bank with BB&T.

Chris0nllyn

You'd think so in the 21st century. Yet you use their online bill pay and they still cut a paper check. That's one thing I don't miss about them. :lol:

Only for the oil company. All others work great.

Of course, BBT has always been a bit behind. It was only a few years ago they got the ATMs you could deposit a check into. But, I enjoy my local branch and have multiple checking accounts, savings account, HSA, car loan, and business account there.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
this is somewhat off topic, but how come the Postal Service still exists? ...

To ship me gun, prepper and hot rod parts. ;-) A lot of the vendors I deal with use USPS exclusively these days, so I guess than means they are the cheapest option.

catlingirl

this is somewhat off topic, but how come the Postal Service still exists? I check my mail once, maybe twice a month....its all junk anyways. I check it more during Christmas, because it gets plugged up with all the catalogs and other crap.

I just think of all the waste and money that could be save if the postal service was eliminated. I sit here with a pile of crap I got from my box this am. all going in the trash. and, if I don't get my mail, the mailman crams that #### in there so tight.....

I know the ads suck but the mail does help get letters back and forth to family that might have children,a spouse or a parent in boot camp for the military. Its the only way to communicate with the Air Force trainees going through boot camp and possibly the other military branches as well,and sometimes its a life savior for them. Especially if they are struggling through it. Plus its cheaper to use the Post Office flat rate boxes to send gifts, etc to the military stationed overseas.

To ship me gun, prepper and hot rod parts. ;-) A lot of the vendors I deal with use USPS exclusively these days, so I guess than means they are the cheapest option.

Not only that, but UPS and FedEx also contract USPS for a lot of deliveries.

mitzi

Not sure if its Smeco or the post office. We have a PO box in Leonardtown, it seems every 6 - 8 weeks we get a pediatricans mail in our box, the numbers are similar, but, the stuff contains medical information regarding his patients. I have, on several occasions, taken the mail to the doctors office and dropped it off. So, I have to wonder if someone else is getting our mail. I have switched everything to paperless billing for that reason.

I've had so many problems not receiving my mail at Leonardtown Post Office over the years.

CRHS89

I have had problems twice with SMECO not sending paper bills and then being hit with the late charges. The first time I was told that once you pay electronically 3 times in a row, they automatically switch you to paperless billing. I said that was a BS policy, especially without informing the person it was being done. I think that was just an excuse and they screwed up, but didn't want to admit it.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Online bill pay with your bank. I use bill pay from Navy federal and it is connected to most major companies so that the bill is delivered right to the page you pay from. I set up recurring payments that I can control (lif i need to shift a day, or stop it to dispute etc)as well as one time payments all in one place. Im really suprised more people dont use it. I can look at all my bills for the month in one glance

inkah

Fun side story. Apparently with NFCU e-bill payment, some of the little companies still get a paper check from NFCU when I pay via e-billing. My trash company levied a late charge for a recent quarterly bill that was credited 5 days late. I had evidence of paying it on time, but the trash companies accounts person said she actually gets paper checks, and swears she checks their post office box every day. So I now have to adjust for possible slow mail delivery when I electronically pay my bill. What a wonderful modern world!

Fight that late charge. Legally, a bill is paid once you send it out (technically, when it changes hands from you to PO). Every accounts receivable person in the world will try to tell you differently, but they are wrong. Bills are paid when they leave your hands. And not that it matters, but have you double-checked the paper check thing with NFCU? In this digital age, that seems really hard to believe - much easier that the trash company has an inexperienced accounts person...

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Fight that late charge. Legally, a bill is paid once you send it out (technically, when it changes hands from you to PO). Every accounts receivable person in the world will try to tell you differently, but they are wrong. Bills are paid when they leave your hands. And not that it matters, but have you double-checked the paper check thing with NFCU? In this digital age, that seems really hard to believe - much easier that the trash company has an inexperienced accounts person...

No he's right. with NFCU, if I use e-bill pay, they send a paper check to my insurance company. But if I go to my ins. co website and pay thru there, entering in all my info online...it pays it electronically without cutting a paper check. But this doesn't happen with all companies I could use e-bill pay with.