Smooth move, Exlax

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Speaking of Fauci, I think there's more than a bit of group-think/echo-chambering going on with these infectious disease (ID) folks. Also, that they seem to be putting too much trust in the models. I'm sure not everyone in the field is playing, but social media censoring makes finding those "voices in the wilderness" difficult to find.*

This is yet another reason why I think Trump is doing what he's doing. If the ID experts are correct he "looks good"/has "clean hands." If the ID folks are wrong, then Trump can use this "failure" to also push back on other fronts; specifically, climate change.* But also, against the over-regulated State.

Again, not trying to minimize the medical or economic aspects of COVID-19 (for many the former hits home, for almost all of us the latter does). Instead, what I'm trying to see is how Trump might be playing his hand in what is rapidly becoming more a political fight than a medical/economic one.

Trump continues to have to fight a myriad of tactical battles on a number of campaign fronts. If he is to be "successful" (defined as gaining the trust and confidence of the American people in order to be a) successful in November and b) regain economic prosperity for The People and The Nation), then he has to have a strategic intent/plan. My comments are guesses as to what that strategic intent/plan is. I could be absolutely wrong in my musings, but everything I'm seeing during Trump's pressers seem to further validate what I think I'm seeing.**

There are eerie similarities between what Trump is doing now and what, for example, FDR did in the lead-up to WWII (wrt how both have to/had to maneuver on numerous fronts in the face of numerous hostile forces).

* It's interesting seeing how COVID-19 and climate change are similarly presented (or, allowed to be presented) on social media.

** I can't help but laugh when Trump says, "It's a tough enemy we're up against." It's clear he means COVID-19, but I can't help but wonder if this is a double entendre where "enemy" also means his political adversaries (i.e., the press, the Dems/Left, the #NeverTrumper crowd, etc.). EDIT: There's a bearded douche making stupid comments about letting scientists do the science.... Clearly, not a question. Exactly the opposite of what a journalist should be doing. Ugh.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
** I can't help but laugh when Trump says, "It's a tough enemy we're up against." It's clear he means COVID-19, but I can't help but wonder if this is a double entendre where "enemy" also means his political adversaries (i.e., the press, the Dems/Left, the #NeverTrumper crowd, etc.). EDIT: There's a bearded douche making stupid comments about letting scientists do the science.... Clearly, not a question. Exactly the opposite of what a journalist should be doing. Ugh.

:yay:

herb749

I know you all read the new CDC guidelines re: reporting Wuhan/Chinese Flu deaths? It says basically that If a patient dies from a respiratory issue, assume the bat soup sickness as the cause. Case in point, the infant in CT that had tested positive died from suffocation in a co sleeping scenario. The cause of death was listed covid related.

So now I'm reading & hearing that deaths from this are being under counted. That deaths should be much higher. Are these the we want more misery people.

Your other point is correct. People dying of terminal cancer die after testing for this are listed as dying from it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well, I have a few issues with what's been presented... surprised I know.

The models weren't bad.. or over dramatic. I think the models were correct for the data they had. As we made changes to our lives, the modes weren't "corrected" they were updated. Every change we made, stopping flights, closing stores, stay at home, each individual change was an update to the model.

We started at the worst case, we do nothing and let COVID ravage our population we could expect 2 million American deaths.. I think that is still a true statement, but with everything we've implemented across the country, and in individual states, we've driven that number down to 200k.. nothing short of miraculous.. as was stated, the model may need further updating, we find Malaria Drugs effective or example, that will drive the 200k down even further. ALSO, if people start believing the models were wrong, and COVID was overhyped they might start ignoring (moreso) current stay at home orders, and social distancing. If they start acting out on what they are being told and try to return to normal too soon, the models may have to be updated going the wrong way.

Medical ships and mobile hospitals not being used: We didn't get them into place for today or tomorrow, we put them in place for what's coming. HOPEFULLY they remain unused, that would be a good thing, and a good waste of taxpayer money.. I'd hate to have the opposite news, of them being overused, and not being able to provide the level of support needed. BUT they were put in place for what's on the horizon in the coming 2 - 3 weeks. Current model shows we peak (death rate) around mid April. We didn't want them showing up during those weeks, but want them in place well ahead of the peak.

Even if we went back to normal in the next few weeks, it's going to be a long time before everything gets back to normal.. we have many future shortages to look forward to.

One thing this has pointed out, is we have a critical shortage of truck drivers, and if you don't have one, having a technical skill is a huge plus.

Not really a skill set but was thinking last night if there was a way I could put my truck to work on the weekends, even volunteer to take loads to and from where needed.. I'm not a commercially licensed driver, but I wouldn't think that would matter at this point. Critical shortage of willing drivers, and trucks.

Yooper

The models weren't bad.. or over dramatic. I think the models were correct for the data they had. As we made changes to our lives, the modes weren't "corrected" they were updated. Every change we made, stopping flights, closing stores, stay at home, each individual change was an update to the model.

We started at the worst case, we do nothing and let COVID ravage our population we could expect 2 million American deaths.. I think that is still a true statement, but with everything we've implemented across the country, and in individual states, we've driven that number down to 200k.. nothing short of miraculous.. as was stated, the model may need further updating, we find Malaria Drugs effective or example, that will drive the 200k down even further. ALSO, if people start believing the models were wrong, and COVID was overhyped they might start ignoring (moreso) current stay at home orders, and social distancing. If they start acting out on what they are being told and try to return to normal too soon, the models may have to be updated going the wrong way.
Wrt the models, I agree as far as initial data goes. However, the IMHE model that is being touted in the WH pressers is getting worse as new data comes in. Meaning, it is vastly overstating the numbers to make the pandemic worse than it is. AT THIS POINT. So perhaps mitigating measures have helped/are helping, but to use these numbers as gospel seems wrong to me if the criticisms of the model are correct. Go here (tweet thread and this guy in general):

I also agree with you wrt the (potential) severity of COVID-19; why I think it's wrong to downplay what we're doing to mitigate the virus (and why it's wrong to say it's no worse than seasonal influenza). Go here for a nice thread:

Using Kolchinsky, here's a link to an article he has in the thread about a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. It speaks to why we'll get a good vaccine (as opposed to the "hit and miss" of the seasonal influenza vaccine):

I have no expertise to say whether Kolchinsky gets it right, but what he writes seems "legit."

Finally, I think Kurt Schlichter makes excellent points as to the balancing act:

Here's a way-too-long snip (please do Kurt and Townhall a solid and click-over):
What is particularly troubling are the medical experts who gleefully demand months of our continued imprisonment. They can’t seem to understand that the medical angle is only one component of this situation. Yes, it’s an important one. So is not creating a depression. Now, there’s nothing shocking that medical people will look at a situation from a purely medical perspective.

But the medical perspective is not the only perspective. There are other perspectives that need to be considered, like the economy and our liberty, and so we elect people to consider them. See, this is why we are not a technocracy. We are a republic. We normal citizens get the final say in our country’s priorities, and we may not decide that our priorities are exactly the same as Dr. Fauci’s. I, for one, am willing to accept some risk regarding the infection in order to avoid America degenerating into a Road Warrior scenario – unless I can be the Humungous, who really gets a bad rap for his innovative and focused leadership style.

Adults accept risk when balancing various interests. The idea that “It’s not worth one life” is childish and stupid. We have cars. Cars kill 30K people a year. We accept that risk. What’s the proper risk balancing for the Chinese coronavirus? Well, we as citizens need to figure that out. That process is called “politics.” That’s why whenever anyone tells you that “This is no time for politics,” they really mean they don’t want you to have any input into the decision. Without politics, you have a dictatorship, and that seems to be the unspoken theme of a growing number of elected officials and others.
I agree with Kurt. The virus is a danger. But so are the increasing signs where civil liberty is concerned.

Both sides of the coin are threats; the "art of the deal" is successfully addressing both without sacrificing either. My "reassess date" remains next Sunday.

EDIT: Listening to Kennedy on "Outnumbered." She is my "canary" in that she is in (at least) one of the vulnerable categories and she's a strong libertarian. In many (most?) things her views more or less align with mine. She's not raising alarm bells yet and counseling to stay the course.

P.S. Apologies if any of these links are posted elsewhere. Beyond this thread, I haven't been through the SoMD forum queue yet.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Speaking of Fauci, I think there's more than a bit of group-think/echo-chambering going on with these infectious disease (ID) folks. Also, that they seem to be putting too much trust in the models. I'm sure not everyone in the field is playing, but social media censoring makes finding those "voices in the wilderness" difficult to find.*

This is yet another reason why I think Trump is doing what he's doing. If the ID experts are correct he "looks good"/has "clean hands." If the ID folks are wrong, then Trump can use this "failure" to also push back on other fronts; specifically, climate change.* But also, against the over-regulated State.

Again, not trying to minimize the medical or economic aspects of COVID-19 (for many the former hits home, for almost all of us the latter does). Instead, what I'm trying to see is how Trump might be playing his hand in what is rapidly becoming more a political fight than a medical/economic one.

Trump continues to have to fight a myriad of tactical battles on a number of campaign fronts. If he is to be "successful" (defined as gaining the trust and confidence of the American people in order to be a) successful in November and b) regain economic prosperity for The People and The Nation), then he has to have a strategic intent/plan. My comments are guesses as to what that strategic intent/plan is. I could be absolutely wrong in my musings, but everything I'm seeing during Trump's pressers seem to further validate what I think I'm seeing.**

There are eerie similarities between what Trump is doing now and what, for example, FDR did in the lead-up to WWII (wrt how both have to/had to maneuver on numerous fronts in the face of numerous hostile forces).

* It's interesting seeing how COVID-19 and climate change are similarly presented (or, allowed to be presented) on social media.

--- End of line (MCP)

As time goes on, I'm definitely looking at these pressers with a different eye after reading some of yours (and also others here) musings. Please continue!

**It's not to say I don't have some very huge concerns on the medical and financial front, because I do. My son is a first responder and my BFF's 82 year old mother was exposed recently, which exposes all of the people she was in contact with, some of whom have been in contact/interacted with me. (is that 3 or 4 times removed?!)

somdwatch

Every state is unique in so many ways a federal mandate makes no sense. Even from the start it should be left to the state level government to have a disaster plan and act accordingly based on how the threat (whatever it may be) measures.

Trump has been saying that from the start and says it again in every press conference. I think he is biting at the bit for the federal level to begin a stand down. Each state would then continue to govern their own state's situation.

I am intrigued at the idea of Trump having this planned out.
I will be eagerly awaiting to see how the Dem run states keep restrictions in place. They want more control, this could become their new model of Marshall Law for their taxation and control of the population.

Yooper

As time goes on, I'm definitely looking at these pressers with a different eye....
In support of your comments here and in other threads, re: growing doubt, let's add this thread:

Here's my take. Tweet threads like this one from Levine are totally anecdotal and, thus, not helpful. We need data, not campfire stories. Otherwise, this is political posturing and actually works against the case he's trying to make if what he's saying is true. Makes me less trusting (re: what I'm being told by political leaders), not more.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:
Finished work and now watching The Five for today's highlights... MSNBC Morning Joe suspects Trump had financial ties to the drug company for the meds he is praising, Bernie popped up in an interview and said Trump is only giving help to battleground states, Boris Johnson now in ICU. I think I'm caught up.