SMYFL - Fall 2009 Tackle and Cheer Registrations

SMYFL

UPCOMING Equipment issue and weigh-in's:

Saturday 7/18/09 from 10AM-3PM at Fifth District Park (Lettie Dent)
Tuesday 7/21/09 from 5:30-7:30PM at Dorsey Park

If you did not get equipment or couldn't make the previous one, you need to come out.

VERY IMPORTANT - ***Players needing XX-Small pads should come to the Tuesday fitting at Dorsey.***

Parents, you must fill out a waiver prior to getting equipment. We have attached one that you can fill out on the computer, print and sign ahead of time for your convenience.

We will also be doing in-person registrations at these times.

Thank you,

SMYFL

Attachments

• Waiver.pdf
    131.6 KB · Views: 98
  • SMYF_Registration_2009_Fillable.pdf
    140.3 KB · Views: 57
  • SMYFL_Physical Form.pdf
    176 KB · Views: 103

Riddler

UPCOMING Equipment issue and weigh-in's:

VERY IMPORTANT - ***Players needing XX-Small pads should come to the Tuesday fitting at Dorsey.***

=Thank you,

SMYFL

We hit the first equipment issue at Lancaster and my five year old was told to come back because they didn't have equipment small enough for him. Are the XX-small pads for the smallest kids?

Thanks

Zguy28

We hit the first equipment issue at Lancaster and my five year old was told to come back because they didn't have equipment small enough for him. Are the XX-small pads for the smallest kids?

Thanks
Yes. You should come Tuesday to Dorsey. The XX-Small had to be ordered special and they won't guarantee delivery for this weekend.

sockgirl77

Read the article from the other thread and it will clear up the confusion. It's easier to google the county times to read the article though. :buddies:

No, I'm confused as to whether or not to spend the money. He's back and forth with it. One day he really wants to play and the next he's not sure.

Zguy28

No, I'm confused as to whether or not to spend the money. He's back and forth with it. One day he really wants to play and the next he's not sure.
To be honest, if he's not sure, then don't sign him up. Its better for him, you, and the coach.

My son was the same way when he was 6. I wanted him to play, but he wasn't sure, so I didn't make him. It turned out to be better for everybody.

sockgirl77

To be honest, if he's not sure, then don't sign him up. Its better for him, you, and the coach.

My son was the same way when he was 6. I wanted him to play, but he wasn't sure, so I didn't make him. It turned out to be better for everybody.

We drive past the park and he says that he wants to play. But every time I think about going to a registration he says "I dunno".

sockgirl77

Have you tried flag football to start with?

Nope. I'm thinking of saying "Okay, J. If you want to play and are willing to stand in a long line at registration because you've waiting soooooo long to make up your mind, then and only then will Mommy fork out the money for you to play". I figure that if he's serious enough about wanting to play then he'll be willing to wait in line. If not, then maybe next year.

Tripleh20659

Seriously, if your son isn't sure DON'T sign him up. For the sake of all the parents with kids that REALLY want to play. We have to watch the coach put other kids in the game because of the playing rules. Which gets people hurt!! It's better for "him, you, and the coach" and all the other parents.

Sockgirl, you have 6 posts on here going back and forth. It's not a wedding dress, tell him to wait till next year and keep it moving.

Last edited:

Callie girl

Nope. I'm thinking of saying "Okay, J. If you want to play and are willing to stand in a long line at registration because you've waiting soooooo long to make up your mind, then and only then will Mommy fork out the money for you to play". I figure that if he's serious enough about wanting to play then he'll be willing to wait in line. If not, then maybe next year.

My oldest did flag 2 seasons and has been wanting to move to tackle and then I waited to long and the one league is full and this one raised the prices lol.

sockgirl77

Seriously, if your son isn't sure DON'T sign him up. For the sake of all the parents with kids that REALLY want to play. We have to watch the coach put other kids in the game because of the playing rules. Which gets people hurt!! It's better for "him, you, and the coach" and all the other parents.

Sockgirl, you have 6 posts on here going back and forth. It's not a wedding dress, tell him to wait till next year and keep it moving.

And then I talk to other parents of 5 year olds and they all say that their kids were the same way. He did this with tee ball as well.

And no, it's not a wedding dress. It is MY son.

Zguy28

And then I talk to other parents of 5 year olds and they all say that their kids were the same way. He did this with tee ball as well.

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think any kid should play tackle until he is at least 6. And if he is under 8, he should do one season in Flag Football. Again, just my opinion as a coach.

Tripleh20659

And no, it's not a wedding dress. It is MY son.[/QUOTE]

It is your son but it's really YOUR decision NOT his. Telling me that if your "willing to stand in a long line at registration" is a cop out. The line is not going to be "long" so your using that as I way for him to say no. You have already made your decision. Not a good idea.

Last edited:

Tripleh20659

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think any kid should play tackle until he is at least 6. And if he is under 8, he should do one season in Flag Football. Again, just my opinion as a coach.

I wouldn't agree with that. My son has been playing since he was 4, because HE WANTED TO PLAY. That's what this thread is really about.

Flag Football in no way translates into real football, (under 8????). Just like T-ball really doesn't prepare you for baseball. If a child is physically and Mentally prepared to play football, play football.

Last edited:

ShoeQueen77

Boys really need to have drive to play tackle football. If they don't, it creates safety issues for the other kids on the team. Teeball doesn't involve kids tackling one another. It's okay if they don't have the drive. The ball will just go past them. I agree that you should try flag before tackle.

Zguy28

I wouldn't agree with that. My son has been playing since he was 4, because HE WANTED TO PLAY. That's what this thread is really about.

Flag Football in no way translates into real football, (under 8????). Just like T-ball really doesn't prepare you for baseball. If a child is physically and Mentally prepared to play football, play football.
Like I said, just my opinion. And I do think it translates into tackle. It teaches them how to catch, how to work together etc.

Some kids just aren't ready for the contact and flag football helps to get them interested. That's not every kid though, and obviously not yours. But it was the case with mine and should have been with quite a few that I coached last year in 5-7 year olds. Almost every play a five year old falls down and cries.

So, I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. :buddies:

On a side note: we had a guy try to register a 3 year old that weighed 35lbs last Saturday. I just looked at him like "are you crazy?"

sockgirl77

Boys really need to have drive to play tackle football. If they don't, it creates safety issues for the other kids on the team. Teeball doesn't involve kids tackling one another. It's okay if they don't have the drive. The ball will just go past them. I agree that you should try flag before tackle.

We're talking about 5. At this age I can only assume they're playing to learn the fundamentals of the game. :lol: