So here's the dumb thing I did:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Picture this.... You're 14 years old and climb out of bed at zero dark thirty when your alarm goes off to get ready for school. You hop out of your bed and your new pup hops out of the bed as well. You walk straight down the hall with the lights off to the bathroom, walk back to your bedroom without turning on the hall light (you've lived in this house since you were 7 so you don't need lights), nothing on but a towel you reach your bedroom, you flip on the light.... Right smack bad in the middle of your bed is your sweet puppy with blood on her mouth and a dead baby possum in front of her. This ladies and gentlemen is why I will NEVER have a doggie door!

I have 2 outside cats (they have litterbox issues) and I have food and water bowls on the front porch for them. More than once I've been leaving out the front door after dark and a possum has been feasting on catfood.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
This one was cute and seemed friendly enough. Didn't hiss or get excited when I was yelling and waving my arms at him. Just kind of sat there looking at me like I was mental before he shrugged and scurried down the steps.

I think I told you about my "Beach Possum". It was really cute and liked the cat food I put out for the strays. I liked it better than the cats. :jet: Sweet face but UGLY tail. Poor baby.

You might want to trap it and get it a rabies shot if you want to keep it. :killingme

Please get a picture the next time.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
Picture this.... You're 14 years old and climb out of bed at zero dark thirty when your alarm goes off to get ready for school. You hop out of your bed and your new pup hops out of the bed as well. You walk straight down the hall with the lights off to the bathroom, walk back to your bedroom without turning on the hall light (you've lived in this house since you were 7 so you don't need lights), nothing on but a towel you reach your bedroom, you flip on the light.... Right smack bad in the middle of your bed is your sweet puppy with blood on her mouth and a dead baby possum in front of her. This ladies and gentlemen is why I will NEVER have a doggie door!

I have 2 outside cats (they have litterbox issues) and I have food and water bowls on the front porch for them. More than once I've been leaving out the front door after dark and a possum has been feasting on catfood.

So did you scream and wake up the neighborhood?

I agree, I'm not into the doggie door thing either. If your dog or cat can get in/out then other critters can also. Just imagine getting a skunk in your house. Talk about a stinky situation!

ontheriver

Possums love cat food! They join my kitties for dinner all the time and I have never had a problem with them. In fact, they will just step over sleeping kitties to get to the food. I had two babies one year and by the time they were grown they had very shiny coats. They are kinda uuugly, though!

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
So did you scream and wake up the neighborhood?

I agree, I'm not into the doggie door thing either. If your dog or cat can get in/out then other critters can also. Just imagine getting a skunk in your house. Talk about a stinky situation!

I ran into my mom's room screaming bloody murder only to be told to take care of it myself! Plastic trashbag over my hand and arm I picked it up.... Still warm and limp. :yikes:

She brought another one in a few weeks later in the evening when everyone was still awake. I looked at my mom and told her it was her turn.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
I ran into my mom's room screaming bloody murder only to be told to take care of it myself! Plastic trashbag over my hand and arm I picked it up.... Still warm and limp. :yikes:

She brought another one in a few weeks later in the evening when everyone was still awake. I looked at my mom and told her it was her turn.

Love it! Wish I coulda said somethin like that to my parents.
If my dog did that my parents still woulda made me clean up the mess. I learned the hard way not to talk back to my parents or tell them what to do.

Roman

I had a Feral Cat at one time, and had a Snuggle Box out on the porch. I fed him before going to work, and when I called for him, two heads popped out. One was a Possum. They Dined together, and slept together for a few years. I thought it was cute!!

Katelin

one day the dark will end
This one was cute and seemed friendly enough. Didn't hiss or get excited when I was yelling and waving my arms at him. Just kind of sat there looking at me like I was mental before he shrugged and scurried down the steps.

Natures pacifist!!
:yahoo:

Katelin

I think I told you about my "Beach Possum". It was really cute and liked the cat food I put out for the strays. I liked it better than the cats. :jet: Sweet face but UGLY tail. Poor baby.

You might want to trap it and get it a rabies shot if you want to keep it. :killingme

Please get a picture the next time.

Opossums dont get rabies, as they are marsupals.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Hate possums.... they freak me out.

Had a dog corner an opossum in the back yard once years ago, they can be quite ferocious when cornered. Damn dog was lucky I heard the commotion and came out to look, as I bet that opossum would have cause a hefty vet bill on that dog despite him being about 85/90 lbs! I had to drag the stupid dog away ........ AC said trap and call us, I did and they took it away the next day.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

I do hear that critters do have special senses LOL j/k

Katelin

Had a dog corner an opossum in the back yard once years ago, they can be quite ferocious when cornered. Damn dog was lucky I heard the commotion and came out to look, as I bet that opossum would have cause a hefty vet bill on that dog despite him being about 85/90 lbs! I had to drag the stupid dog away ........ AC said trap and call us, I did and they took it away the next day.

Why..what problem was the opossum causing?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

That's one reason I refuse to have outside cats anymore (unless a new one shows up I have to trap/fix/tame. I left cat food in the barn for a stray cat I saw one morning, well the next day the water was cloudy and the cat food was gone ..... raccoon had been there .. they like to wash their food in water before eating it apparently. No more food outside for stray cats unless it's in a trap cage to catch 'em. I have horses and wild critters can bring diseases to horses.

Katelin

That's one reason I refuse to have outside cats anymore (unless a new one shows up I have to trap/fix/tame. I left cat food in the barn for a stray cat I saw one morning, well the next day the water was cloudy and the cat food was gone ..... raccoon had been there .. they like to wash their food in water before eating it apparently. No more food outside for stray cats unless it's in a trap cage to catch 'em. I have horses and wild critters can bring diseases to horses.

Another myth being passed on. :banghead:
Raccoons don't wash their food!!!!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
This is for those who might believe Miss Know-IT All about wild critters, I've actually seen it with my own eyes, but didn't think to video tape it, so here .... what a stupid person she can be.