So how exactly did the NYT LEGALLY acquire the transcripts of Trump's Taxes

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The data — printouts from Mr. Trump’s official Internal Revenue Service tax transcripts, with the figures from his federal tax form, the 1040, for the years 1985 to 1994 — represents the fullest and most detailed look to date at the president’s taxes, information he has kept from public view. Though the information does not cover the tax years at the center of an escalating battle between the Trump administration and Congress, it traces the most
tumultuous chapter in a long business career — an era of fevered acquisition and spectacular collapse.

In fact, the source of The Times’s newly obtained information was able to provide several years of unpublished tax figures from the president’s father, the builder Fred C. Trump. They matched up precisely with Fred Trump’s actual returns, which had been obtained by The Times in the earlier investigation.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...onald-trump-taxes.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

:sshrug:

I'd love to see the keening and screaming if someone did the same to Buffet, Soros, Pelosi, Booker, Schumer ...........

BernieP

Resident PIA
Tax returns are not available under freedom of information laws since they contain PII. Anyone who released them to the NYT is guilty of a crime.
The NYT should also be held accountable, as a part of the conspiracy to violate federal privacy laws.
Chances are they are not federal returns, but NY state returns, which the NY AG has been trying to get. The AG in NY has promised to share them with the House committees investigating the president.

Reactions: BOP

Grumpy

The NYT should also be held accountable, as a part of the conspiracy to violate federal privacy laws.

Weren't some papers(WaPo, maybe) exonerated for publishing the Pentagon Papers because they didn't actually steal them but were given to them? Wouldn't that apply here also?

Sapidus

The data — printouts from Mr. Trump’s official Internal Revenue Service tax transcripts, with the figures from his federal tax form, the 1040, for the years 1985 to 1994 — represents the fullest and most detailed look to date at the president’s taxes, information he has kept from public view. Though the information does not cover the tax years at the center of an escalating battle between the Trump administration and Congress, it traces the most
tumultuous chapter in a long business career — an era of fevered acquisition and spectacular collapse.

In fact, the source of The Times’s newly obtained information was able to provide several years of unpublished tax figures from the president’s father, the builder Fred C. Trump. They matched up precisely with Fred Trump’s actual returns, which had been obtained by The Times in the earlier investigation.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...onald-trump-taxes.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

:sshrug:

I'd love to see the keening and screaming if someone did the same to Buffet, Soros, Pelosi, Booker, Schumer ...........

It sad that your take away is " who exposed Trumps tax fraud"? not "Jesus christ our president has been committing tax fraud for at least a decade."

Clem72

Weren't some papers(WaPo, maybe) exonerated for publishing the Pentagon Papers because they didn't actually steal them but were given to them? Wouldn't that apply here also?

I think the linchpin is whether or not the newspaper knew about, participated in, or directed the actions ahead of time. If the data shows up on their doorstep out of the blue, they may be in the clear. If their source says "hey, I might be able to get X if your interested" and they say "hell yes, get it", then they are in trouble.

Similar to police obtaining evidence. They need a warrant to enter your home (or probably cause yada yada), but if your next door neighbor says "hey, I found this big bag of dope in the drawer while stealing my neighbors knickers" they can use that as evidence.

GregV814

Hey spastic, you’d feel no remorse if Al Sharpton ,Jessie (smollett or Jackson) Maxine or nanny p was indicted for evasion after their records were illegally obtained??

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
It sad that your take away is " who exposed Trumps tax fraud"? not "Jesus christ our president has been committing tax fraud for at least a decade."
How inept must the IRS be to let Trump cheat on his taxes for 10 years,,,,,,,,,I think I'm going to start if they are that bad......

Reactions: BOP

Sapidus

I think the linchpin is whether or not the newspaper knew about, participated in, or directed the actions ahead of time. If the data shows up on their doorstep out of the blue, they may be in the clear. If their source says "hey, I might be able to get X if your interested" and they say "hell yes, get it", then they are in trouble.

Similar to police obtaining evidence. They need a warrant to enter your home (or probably cause yada yada), but if your next door neighbor says "hey, I found this big bag of dope in the drawer while stealing my neighbors knickers" they can use that as evidence.

You mean like when Trump directed Russia to hack Hilary's emails?

Sapidus

How inept must the IRS be to let Trump cheat on his taxes for 10 years,,,,,,,,,I think I'm going to start if they are that bad......

I thought he said he wasn't releasing them because they were all still under Audit? Which lie do you believe?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I thought he said he wasn't releasing them because they were all still under Audit? Which lie do you believe?
I believe the IRS is not so inept, except under Obama when they targeted conservative 501C corps, to let Trump get away with cheating on his taxes for 10 years. I've been audited regularly with no fines or penalties.

Sapidus

I believe the IRS is not so inept, except under Obama when they targeted conservative 501C corps, to let Trump get away with cheating on his taxes for 10 years. I've been audited regularly with no fines or penalties.

Cool story bro. Did you lose more money than any other US tax payer? The claim to be a great businessman and run for president? if not STFU. it's not the same

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Cool story bro. Did you lose more money than any other US tax payer? The claim to be a great businessman and run for president? if not STFU. it's not the same
So you think the IRS is so inept they let Trump cheat on his taxes for 10 years. If not you can
STFU dipweeed. How is you buddy Smollet doing?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Jesus dude. What does that ave to do with taxes? Why are you so obsessed with a private citizen? You need help
I am just responding to your post..."

"You mean like when Trump directed Russia to hack Hilary's emails?"

Do you not even remember what you post?
...snd so what does it have to do with taxes? You asked the question, not I......

Sapidus

I am just responding to your post..."

"You mean like when Trump directed Russia to hack Hilary's emails?"

Do you not even remember what you post?
...snd so what does it have to do with taxes? You asked the question, not I......
I remember quoting Clem who said what Trump did was illegal in asking for russia to hack Hillary. This was a direct response to who did the NYT get Trumps taxes.

Then you went back to your idiotic incoherent and off topic ramblings about Hilary's emails.

Sapidus

So you think the IRS is so inept they let Trump cheat on his taxes for 10 years. If not you can
STFU dipweeed. How is you buddy Smollet doing?

Why do you keep bring up that person? What does that have do with anything? its almost like you have an agenda or are racist?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Why do you keep bring up that person? What does that have do with anything? its almost like you have an agenda or are racist?
You disappeared after defending him so much I thought you were personally involved with him. I thought you were Butt Fk buddies and took a sabbatical from the Forums to help him out.....