So how is Alice's staying open..and what do you all think of 3 Brothers?

RangerJohn

Isn't Alices the rumoured site of the southern Maryland Hooters that was discussed here on this board?
I ate at Alice's one time.....and I rated it alongside Friendly's and Western Steer, just below food poisoning......:barf:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by SmallTown
I'm not sure if it is classified as a franchise, but yes, it is part of the original 3 brothers in (i think) PG county

It is indeed a franchise. The family still owns several of the original restaurants, but they have their eyes on the bigger and better world of franchise sales. I think about 5 units are franchisee operated, and 7 or 8 are the original family.

pilot

Originally posted by Branden

Also was anyone horrified the first time they ate at 3 Brothers? Being Italian I am deeply offended by what they call italian food:(

Well I'm not Italian, but I used to live in New Jersey where there there was good Italian food on every streetcorner.

I thought 3 Brothers was fine for what it was. No, it wasn't as good as DiGiovanni's, but it was better than Ledo's, Nicollettis, or any of the other "pizza and spaghetti" places around here that pass for "Italian" restaurants.

Personally, I'm glad they're here. It's not like we had anything better before they came.

alex

3 Bros. is not a franchise, it is run by a son-in-law. Compared to other "italian" restuarants in the are they are hands down the best I 've tasted down here. Niccoletti's is AWFUL!! But I am spoiled - lived most of my life in NYC and my grandparents came from Italy.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Actually. I will tell you that I think Alices is just a complete joke. I dont quite understand why no one HAS gone in there and asked to buy the business for a dollar or something. :rolleyes: that is about all it is worth (plus I dont think they should put a hooters down here...JMO...that is more of a "city" restruant)

And also, btw, I like Nicoletti's. I personally think they are very good. And their salad bar is yummy. Now if you want an awesome salad bar, you gotta go to Ruby Tuesdays, but that is a different story.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Best Italian Around here . . .

Originally posted by alex
3 Bros. is not a franchise, it is run by a son-in-law. Compared to other "italian" restuarants in the are they are hands down the best I 've tasted down here. Niccoletti's is AWFUL!! But I am spoiled - lived most of my life in NYC and my grandparents came from Italy.
Alex, you need to try DiGiovanni's over on Solomons Island, as Pilot suggested. It is basically across the street from Solomons Pier. I think they're probably the best within a 50 mi area around here. Been there many times, and have yet to have had a unhappy dining experience.

pencam

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by Branden
I wish I had more money...the place is ina good location and has great protential...I think I could make a nice restaurant outta it.

Well, for the small price of $1.2 Million you can have the restaurant of your dreams in the Wildewood Shopping Center, complete with broken equipment, and a building that will take another bunch of money just to get it where you can open the doors.
If you have that kind of money, I suggest that you look at another type of business where you will get a ROI.

Oh, and by the way, that $1.2 only gets you the building and equipment. You still have to pay rent for the pad that it sits on and the parking lot. My guess right now is that would cost another $60,000 to $70,000 a year.

Hope you have some deep pockets.

Last edited:

So. County

Alice's, Perkins, Friendly's, etc...

One thing I've noticed since we've lived here about 3 years now
is that the restaurants come and go. Alice's at Wildewood was
good when it was Perkin's, but now it's awful. We went there
about a month ago sort of on mercy mission to see what it was
like - big mistake. The waitress screwed up our order, and the
people next to us were commenting that she had charged them
incorrectly too. The waitress was telling us how she had worked at this place and that place, and then I didn't have to wonder why. And - how can you screw up pancakes? I think they were freezer-rotted then microwaved. We saw the end to
the Perkin's in Leonardtown coming, too. Never an ADULT there to be found, and the teens who worked there spent a lot of time talking with buddies in the glassed-in smoking area. The food and service just got worse and worse. Then Friendly's. It was good for about two months, then the same thing. You never saw any adults there, and pretty soon, the service crapped out. Now of course it's Bob Evans. Did they keep the same people? BTW, I'm not dumping on teenagers here, I'm just miffed at why these corporations put millions into a place then hire a bunch of kids and say "Run thyselves." It's happened over and over.

pilot

One other good Italian restaurant is Guido's over in Lusby. It's not the best I've ever had, but it's still worth going to. DiGiovanni's is still my favorite place in the area.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Guido's vs DiGiovanni's? No contest, Geri and Cefferino have one of the best restaurants in the area, if you looking for Italian food. Weds nights Ben Conley plays guitar and sings folk songs that go well with dinner.

penncam

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by penncam
Guido's vs DiGiovanni's? No contest, Geri and Cefferino have one of the best restaurants in the area, if you looking for Italian food. Weds nights Ben Conley plays guitar and sings folk songs that go well with dinner.

The biggest problem with DiGiovanni's is the price. Good Italian food shouldn't be that expensive. Expect to drop $30 for an entree and a salad ($8.) Add for drinks. Their a-la-carte menu is a major wallet-killer. I'd pay $18-$20 for an entree -with- a salad, but give me a break. I agree that they have an excellent restaurant, but the prices ruin my appetite.

Guido's on the other hand, combines value and good Italian food.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:cool: Yes, I can't argue about the pricing, that's why I do not go there on a daily basis. I also try not to go for their more costlier
dishes. I usually make it out of the restaurant $50-55. lighter than when I walked in, dinner for two, of course.

penncam

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
DiGiovannis

Originally posted by Steve
Is DiGiovanni's in Calvert? Where, if so?

:cheers: DiGiovanni's is on Solomons Island, just about straight across the road from Solomons Pier.

penncam

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
:cool: Yes, I can't argue about the pricing, that's why I do not go there on a daily basis. I also try not to go for their more costlier
dishes. I usually make it out of the restaurant $50-55. lighter than when I walked in, dinner for two, of course.

The only way you can dine there, that cheap, is to not drink wine/beer/drinks from the bar, and, not order a salad. $50-$55 with 5% tax, and a 20% tip makes your 2 meals about $43. $18 entree x2, + 2 iced teas, probably gets you out the door for $50-$55.

(Can you tell I'm more bothered that it costs $8 for a salad, and $7 for a glass of wine, than the $18 for the entree? Charge me $18 and give me a damned salad for goodness sakes!!!)

Steve

Enjoying life!
Re: DiGiovannis

:cheers: DiGiovanni's is on Solomons Island, just about straight across the road from Solomons Pier.

penncam

Thanks Penn.

Christy and I used to go to a fantastic Italian restaurant when we were stationed in Hawaii. It had the best Caesar's salad, hands down. We've yet to find someplace similar, so I'm willing to give Giovanni's a chance.