So, the hunt for a "new" bike, if it's totalled

I've been riding motorized 2-wheelers since I was 10. I'm 63 now. I will continue to ride until I just can't do it anymore.

Every feeling GLHS expressed above is what every long-term rider feels.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, tell me more, and I agree, I dont think I need EAS. From what I read, there are three different seats, in addition to being able to adjust the height. And there were factory low and high suspension settings aside from EAS or the adjustment and different actual seats. It's BMW, so of course it's a confusing morass :) I would like to know more, repost the content of your ad in this thread if you want.

Some people never will understand, and that's okay. You say infatuation, though and it's not that. After doing it off and on since 1982, it's past infatuation and into love :) Drivers have alway been negligent, always will be, it's the nature of sitting inside a box. Thats why riders call them cagers. :) Why do I ride? Could maybe fill a book. But at the end of it, it makes me feel good, like virtually any activity that any human engages in. I love being on a motorcycle. Enough that I acquired the gear to enable to ride no matter the conditions. There are studies showing that riding reduces stress levels. I know it does that for me. Most folks, driving car is a A-B thing. Me, I want to enjoy that trip. If not in a bike, then in a vehicle that's enjoyable to drive. I have air tools, but only use them for 1-3 percent of my wrenching...... because the feel of a ratchet in my hands is a part of wrenching that gives the feedback that makes it enjoyable.

AS to the risk, there is risk in everything. In flight and flight test, we practice risk acceptance. Now everybody in the world does this every day, but they dont think about it or understand it. There's things you must do, fetch the mail, get to work, make dinner, whatever. Every single one of those has risk. Some high, some low, but risk is there. You accept that risk because that thing must get done. You might mitigate some of that risk by taking steps like not using a gas range, because your gramdma left the gas on once and blew up the house. Maybe you take a different route to work because the traffic on one road is too risky for you.For me, riding is a thing I must do, it keeps me happy and much lower in stress. I know that riding increases my risk, so I mitigate that and accept that there are things I cannot control. But to not ride isn't an option.

:yay: On the rare occasions that I take an entire weekend and just ride, I get in to such a comfortable groove that I don't want it to end....I want to simply keep riding and never stop. It's really hard to explain that feeling to anyone else..

I've been riding since 1970 and riding on the street since 1974.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Some people never will understand, and that's okay. You say infatuation, though and it's not that. After doing it off and on since 1982, it's past infatuation and into love :) Drivers have alway been negligent, always will be, it's the nature of sitting inside a box. Thats why riders call them cagers. :) Why do I ride? Could maybe fill a book. But at the end of it, it makes me feel good, like virtually any activity that any human engages in. I love being on a motorcycle. Enough that I acquired the gear to enable to ride no matter the conditions. There are studies showing that riding reduces stress levels. I know it does that for me. Most folks, driving car is a A-B thing. Me, I want to enjoy that trip. If not in a bike, then in a vehicle that's enjoyable to drive. I have air tools, but only use them for 1-3 percent of my wrenching...... because the feel of a ratchet in my hands is a part of wrenching that gives the feedback that makes it enjoyable.

AS to the risk, there is risk in everything. In flight and flight test, we practice risk acceptance. Now everybody in the world does this every day, but they dont think about it or understand it. There's things you must do, fetch the mail, get to work, make dinner, whatever. Every single one of those has risk. Some high, some low, but risk is there. You accept that risk because that thing must get done. You might mitigate some of that risk by taking steps like not using a gas range, because your gramdma left the gas on once and blew up the house. Maybe you take a different route to work because the traffic on one road is too risky for you.For me, riding is a thing I must do, it keeps me happy and much lower in stress. I know that riding increases my risk, so I mitigate that and accept that there are things I cannot control. But to not ride isn't an option.

Your reply was great. I enjoyed reading it very much. You helped me to understand the enjoyment you, and others experience when riding. Being a mom, I worry; that’s my job! :lol: Also, you are right about every day risks, and how we handle them. Thanks!

glhs837

Power with Control
So, here's the funny, I hadnt really considered the R1200RT until Bob posted his, now I'm sort of thinking that might be the right one :) Hadn't realized how relatively light and nimble they are for a bike that looks that big.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So, here's the funny, I hadnt really considered the R1200RT until Bob posted his, now I'm sort of thinking that might be the right one :) Hadn't realized how relatively light and nimble they are for a bike that looks that big.

You're welcome to come take it for a ride.. we're just down the street.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'll have a short window this morning I think between 9 and 10, then I'm out of town till We'd evening. If your around, I would like to stop by but no rush. The insurance company is still pushing paperwork.

black dog

Free America
Depends on who you ask. ;-) AMF owned Harley during the "dark years"..almost destroyed the brand.

It depends on how you look at AMF and HD,

In 1969, American Machine and Foundry(AMF) bought Harley Davidson. AMF cut down the work force, quality problems dropped to the point that company’s motorcycle was referred as “Hardly Drivable”

American Machine and Foundry (AMF) bought the nearly bankrupt Harley Davidson Motorcycle Company in 1969 for an undisclosed amount of money. AMF operated the company until 1981 at which time Vaughn Beals, “Willie G.” Davidson and a group investors purchased the company back from AMF for $80 million. The rest is history with a miraculous financial (spurred by a successful anti-trust lawsuit against Japanese motorcycle manufacturers) turn-around that has transformed Harley Davidson into the premier motorcycle company in the world. The $80 million dollar investment is now worth in excess of $10 billion dollars.

AMF saved Harley-Davidson from being liquidated in 1969 and made real investments in the company. Once the Motor Company was becoming profitable, AMF started taking the profits and using them to support the main company without putting anything back. As this caused quality to fall, H-D actually was putting out improving product. AMF initial investments were coming to the front, but some at H-D could see the writing on the wall. Willie G Davidson and twelve executives, The Gang of Thirteen, found funding, invested everything they had and made an offer to buy the company back which was completed in 1982.

In essence, if AMF didn't buy HD then, it would have been bought buy the other company and been broken up and sold at auction and HD would be no more.
I've owned 3 and still have two AMF's and have never had any issues that I could say AMF caused. They leak, chunk when shifted, don't wanna start below 42°, puff oil between gears, vibrate and burn out starter buttons every few years. All the same problems that happened before and after AMF.
The EVO and the huge upgrade to sheetmetal and fiberglass was the first best thing that happened at HD. At a time of pending bankruptcy ( the imports were killing them ) AMF kept them afloat for 12 more years.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'll have a short window this morning I think between 9 and 10, then I'm out of town till We'd evening. If your around, I would like to stop by but no rush. The insurance company is still pushing paperwork.

Just saw this.. i'm out of town myself until Thursday.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In essence, if AMF didn't buy HD then, it would have been bought buy the other company and been broken up and sold at auction and HD would be no more.

Very true.

AMF had a grand plan to take over the entire leisure product industry...boats, motorcyles, sporting goods of all kinds. They had their name on a lot of products....but didn't achieve what they hoped for and none of the companies they acquired really benefited much from their ownership period.

From Wikipedia:
n 1971, American Machine and Foundry was renamed AMF. For many years, the company continued to produce a wide variety of sport and leisure equipment, including Roadmaster bicycles, Harley-Davidson motorcycles (1969–1981), Head snow skis and tennis racquets (1969–85), snowmobiles, lawn and garden equipment, Ben Hogan golf clubs (1960–85), Voit inflatable balls, exercise equipment (including exercycles), motorized bicycles, mopeds, SlickCraft powerboats (1969–80), Alcort sailboats (including the Sunfish and the Hilu; 1969–86), Hatteras Yachts, and SCUBA gear.

black dog

Free America
Very true.

AMF had a grand plan to take over the entire leisure product industry...boats, motorcyles, sporting goods of all kinds. They had their name on a lot of products....but didn't achieve what they hoped for and none of the companies they acquired really benefited much from their ownership period.

From Wikipedia:

So true, Victor was another company that climbed into to many companies and products.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
:) Why do I ride? Could maybe fill a book. But at the end of it, it makes me feel good, like virtually any activity that any human engages in.

:yay:

I had loads of when when I owned a 1985 RM 250 in the early 90s .... National Harbor was built where I used to tear up and down the river

glhs837

Power with Control
Just saw this.. i'm out of town myself until Thursday.

If you want to drop some details like options and model year while we wait to get back in town, I'm all ears. Given how far away most are, you have a sort of caprive audience :) Nearest one to me here in Chantilly is way over at Bobs (the actual BMW shop :)) and that sucker has like +150K.

glhs837

Power with Control
And the replacement is home, after a quick jaunt up to Tyrone PA to buy it........ no temp tags, so no riding it home. Cruise, Electronically adjustable suspension, electrically adjustable windshield, ABS, of course. Heated seat and grips, stock. Mods already on it include a 49 liter top box, Garmin Nuvo, cylinder head and side bag crash bars. Did get to take a 15 mile test ride. along a mountain road with a river on one side, train cruising by, it was really like a freaking ad for the bike. Then a quick 5 mile highway run at 70, 6th gear, loping along, set cruise, and that's freaking weird.

Spaceship.jpg