SoCal on fire

hitchicken

Save the expense of clearing underbrush.

President Trump is calling for a ‘remedy’. My suggestion is an overpopulation of deer… and maybe goats.

I’ve seen vast square miles of West Virginia totally devoid of underbrush and tree branches hanging lower than about 7 feet due to an excess of deer. No brush, no fire spread.

The caveat is deer also wipe out tree seedlings. They’re already blamed for an unstoppable future extinction of one tree type. Yeah, I know. We’ll also have to worry about an explosion of west coast carnivores as well, but look on the bright side. Maybe some of those animal-rights stars would prefer to be eaten rather than burned alive.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

President Trump is calling for a ‘remedy’. My suggestion is an overpopulation of deer… and maybe goats.

I’ve seen vast square miles of West Virginia totally devoid of underbrush and tree branches hanging lower than about 7 feet due to an excess of deer. No brush, no fire spread.

The caveat is deer also wipe out tree seedlings. They’re already blamed for an unstoppable future extinction of one tree type. Yeah, I know. We’ll also have to worry about an explosion of west coast carnivores as well, but look on the bright side. Maybe some of those animal-rights stars would prefer to be eaten rather than burned alive.

It won't get that far. They'll do the same #### they do in suburban MD, NY, Mass etc.

They'll bitch about the deer eating their flowers or garden plants and the locality will hire someone to come in and shoot the deer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is what pandering to environmentalists looks like. They refuse to allow clearing of dry underbrush because it could also have the consequence killing some trees. So, they'd rather have all of their trees destroyed with fires; AND all of that wonderful environmentally-friendly smoke. AND all of those homes destroyed and lives lost. AND ammonia phosphate used to put these fires out are harmful to breathe. AND all of the resources used to try to put the fires out, year, after year, after year.

The people of CA are like "I lost my house and my grandmother died, but I'm going to keep electing the same people that pander to environmentalists that allow these fires to destroy more lives" :crazy:

Progbots be cray cray.

I think it's God. He periodically gets sick of these nasty people and their crap, so he tosses a little smiting their way.

officeguy

I looked at the Google Earth for Paradise, CA. Single homes cut into the middle of a ponderosa forest. What did you think would happen in case of a wildland fire ?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Are large wildfires like this named like hurricanes or something? They keep calling it Camp Fire on the news channels which led me to believe that a campfire started it.
Probably a named fire like a named storm gives the insurance companies a way to jack up the deductibles.

officeguy

Probably a named fire like a named storm gives the insurance companies a way to jack up the deductibles.

It's simply what the first fire officer on the scene calls it. 'Calfire Engine 48-34 on the scene of a brush fire on Camp road. I am establishing the Camp road command, command post is at engine 48-34'. From there on out, the name gets carried forward as the incident expands.

Bonehead

Same sheot burns every year yet people continue to build and mamma nature burns it, same sheot for the coast build it and eventually a hurricane will turn it into a pile of lumber unless you invest a million or two in the building like the one in Mexico Beach.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
This is what pandering to environmentalists looks like. They refuse to allow clearing of dry underbrush because it could also have the consequence killing some trees. So, they'd rather have all of their trees destroyed with fires; AND all of that wonderful environmentally-friendly smoke. AND all of those homes destroyed and lives lost. AND ammonia phosphate used to put these fires out are harmful to breathe. AND all of the resources used to try to put the fires out, year, after year, after year.

The people of CA are like "I lost my house and my grandmother died, but I'm going to keep electing the same people that pander to environmentalists that allow these fires to destroy more lives" :crazy:

Any evidence of this? Specifically in this case, please present!

This fire was probably triggered by the power lines:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article221448500.html

The electric companies are becoming more proactive about turning off high transmission lines during high wind events when combustion threats are high (low humidity, prolonged dry conditions). Hopefully they can get ahead of the curve when it comes to the inconvenience of a prolonged electric outage compared to the threat of a causing a fire.

PeoplesElbow

My moms place regularly has 30-40 deer laying in the field by her house all day and the woods on the other side are thick with underbrush, the deer would much rather eat the soft good tasting stuff. White tail deer don't do much for that sort of thing.

PeoplesElbow

If I remember right this past spring CA had a ton of rain. The problem is worse 6 months after a lot of rain, all of the rain makes things grow then dry season comes and they dry out and burn. Compounding the problem is that man does not allow small fires to burn, the natural desire is to put them out, the local vegetation evolved to with fires, the pine cones open up only after a fire. Not letting the small fires burn makes the underbrush thick, creating a bigger fire, these bigger fires actually catch the trees on fire and that is when things get out of control.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yes it's heartbreaking to lose everything you own like that. I certainly have empathy for them, and I Thank God Maryland does not face this sort of thing every year.

I don't ...

Environmentalists BLOCK Good Forest Management where the 'fuel' builds you yr after yr after yr leading to massive out of control forest fires

Or You live in a KNOWN Fire Zone ....

:yay:

Last edited:

Hijinx

I don't ...

Environmentalists BLOCK Good Forest Management where the 'fuel' builds you yr after yr after yr leading to massive out of control forest fires

Or You live in a KNOWN Fire Zone ....

:yay:

President Trump is catching flak from IAFF Union President ####berger for saying just what you just said.
It would seem ####berger should agree with the President, but he has always been a bit more than biased in favor of democrats.
Hard to find a good place to live in Kalifornia. Earthquake might hit anywhere, Fire are a yearly arrival, Mudslides wipe out a whole Hill side, the cities are filled with MS-13, drugs, riots. and homeless moving in and camping in the parks.Water is scarce, gasoline is expensive and cars cost more due to california emissions standards. Roads are jammed up and taxes are high. And they keep voting for more of the same.

Md. may be politically a lot like California, but we don't get the natural disasters they do. you would think by now they would clear the brush.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Any evidence of this? Specifically in this case, please present!

Have you ever asked why it's always California, and in the same places in California? This happens every year. It's been going on for decades. It's predictable.

First of all, you have to consider that California is largely a dry climate (they don't get a lot of rain in comparison to most of the rest of the country). It is largely a windy area as well. Both are fuel for the fire - so to speak.

Why the California Wildfires Are Not Due to So-called Climate Change

Tom McClintock, the Republican congressman from California’s 4th District, stated during a congressional hearing on wildfire prevention in May, “Forty-five years ago, we began imposing laws that have made the management of our forests all but impossible.”

McClintock is specifically referring to federal laws meant to protect at-risk species, such as the spotted owl, under the Endangered Species Act, as well as the National Environmental Policy Act. These federal laws prevent common-sense logging and scientific forestry methods in federal forests.

There are currently an estimated 66 million dead trees in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The land there can comfortably support between 20 and 100 trees per acre. The current tree density in the area is 266 trees per acre. So not only are federal laws choking the area with dead trees, but the trees that remain must fight for space simply to survive.

And it’s not just federal policy that exacerbates these fires. State, county, and local lawmakers bear partial responsibility for the horrific 2017 fire season. Mismanagement and a lack of foresight are major reasons that the recent California wildfires have been so catastrophic.

Forest management has been thrown aside because of the illusion of protecting certain species that may be displaced by foresting of overgrowth of trees and removal of dead trees and underbrush. What's the consequence? These same protected species losing entire territories of their domain because of the fires.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
Have you ever asked why it's always California, and in the same places in California? This happens every year. It's been going on for decades. It's predictable.

First of all, you have to consider that California is largely a dry climate (they don't get a lot of rain in comparison to most of the rest of the country). It is largely a windy area as well. Both are fuel for the fire - so to speak.

Why the California Wildfires Are Not Due to So-called Climate Change

Forest management has been thrown aside because of the illusion of protecting certain species that may be displaced by foresting of overgrowth of trees and removal of dead trees and underbrush. What's the consequence? These same protected species losing entire territories of their domain because of the fires.

Is there anything you don't blame on liberals?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Is there anything you don't blame on liberals?

When the shoe fits...own it.

Bad forest management practice - and its consequences - is not limited to California....Washington is doing an increasingly bad job as the liberals have taken over that state too. In the case of Washington, the problem is aggravated by the dramatic decline of their once large and thriving timber industry. I'm sure that is a factor in California too.

Manage, harvest and clear it..or expect mother nature to do it her way eventually.