Solomons Bridge Jumper

sockgirl77

Ironically in some states suicide is a ciminal offense - don't ask how they enforce this law for those that are successful.

As posted before, I've only ever seen that it was a crime if you were assisting someone else commit suicide. I've never seen anything where it was crime to off yourself. :shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
As posted before, I've only ever seen that it was a crime if you were assisting someone else commit suicide. I've never seen anything where it was crime to off yourself. :shrug:

It is a common law crime. It was a crime in some states as recently as the 1960's, but there is nowhere in the US that still has it on the books. Attempted suicide is still a crime in some states, but prosecutions almost never happen.

Of course, the assisted suicide laws are a whole different issue.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Let me add one (and hopefuly last) comment.
I cannot understand, comprhend, how one can over come a basic human instinct to survive. The individual has to reach such a level that they can over come that instinct.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I cannot understand, comprhend, how one can over come a basic human instinct to survive. The individual has to reach such a level that they can over come that instinct.

I've come to the conclusion that some people are just wired differently. When I hear some of the sob stories about what "caused" someone to do this, I can't help but look at the things in my life that would have been better justification. But it has never been something that I could do. I just am not wired that way.

It's really easy to rationalize people who do this as selfish, self centered, grandstanding, or whatever else, but if you are not one who is wired that way you really cannot understand the thought process.

And that's why I look at this with compassion. I cannot assume that they were thinking the way I do, or that they were rational. I assume that they are wired differently, and they are sick. It's not just a matter of willpower or selfishness. They are seeing this as a solution to a problem. That kind of twisted thinking shouldn't be ridiculed.

smilin

BOXER NATION
It is a common law crime. It was a crime in some states as recently as the 1960's, but there is nowhere in the US that still has it on the books. Attempted suicide is still a crime in some states, but prosecutions almost never happen..

I believe suicide is a taxable event under the new Maryland tax laws. Plus you have to pay for any expenses incurred. They were considering a license but couldn't figure out how to collect so they turned their attention to guns....

:sarcasm:

Let's hope you never do. It obviously happens..a lot.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Let's hope you never do. It obviously happens..a lot.

and it seems for the population, it's a lot higher (bridge pun) here.

I can understand the dispare, the thinking there is no way out and just wanting the pain to end.
It's that extra effort. Try drowning yourself sometime, you can't, instictively you come up for air.
(not saying I've tried)

and it seems for the population, it's a lot higher (bridge pun) here.

I can understand the dispare, the thinking there is no way out and just wanting the pain to end.
It's that extra effort. Try drowning yourself sometime, you can't, instictively you come up for air.
(not saying I've tried)

Nah, you could. Just grab a heavy object and jump into deep water. Go down and stay down as long as you can. You'll never see the top again. Sure wouldn't be my choice of ways to die though. Very uncomfortably few minutes there.

FED_UP

Did they ever find this guy or will he become a crabbing hot spot this summer?

That was so wrong of a comment, even though I just shook my head and smiled. Someone said how do you get to that breaking point, to me I thinks you have hit a time in your life that its not worth living for and your not afraid to leave this world. We all got a trigger, and some are willing to pull it, I don't know, will to live is gone. What I really hate is when you take another life with you. Not the case here thank goodness.

kinmd

Generally, life insurance WILL pay if the policy had been in force for at least 2 yrs. After 2yrs ""Incontestable Clause" kicks in

BernieP

Resident PIA
Nah, you could. Just grab a heavy object and jump into deep water. Go down and stay down as long as you can. You'll never see the top again. Sure wouldn't be my choice of ways to die though. Very uncomfortably few minutes there.

that's the point, people might jump in, but that survival instinct kicks and they would drop the weight and surface - still might die, but they would be fighting for their life.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It is my experience that most people are not interested in actually thinking about things or discussing them. Their bag of tricks only includes freaking out and accusing others of being "mean". That's how we got the iron-fisted government we have - mindless reactionaries and Mommies of the World.

My impression is that their lives have so little meaning that they feel this overwhelming need to prove to strangers how "compassionate" and "empathetic" they are, while being hateful and ugly to anyone who disagrees with them. They think they are important enough to save the world and every human beingin in, not to mention control the earth's climate. They "care".

I find it tedious
:clap: