Some interesting news for TV cordcutters

Goldenhawk

...we had no problem finding stuff to watch, but I did miss live football...
We could watch it "live" and YouTubeTV does show all the local channels and ESPN live, but I have no interest in watching commercials. So we often wait about 45-60 minutes after the game starts, then start watching. It's as good as live, or better because we don't have to watch commercials. Also, because we usually just catch up to real time by the end of the game, nobody can spoil the ending for us.

MefromNY

I use a Roku Firestick and subscribe to Hulu Live. $54.99/month. I use ABB internet, the lowest/slowest option and have no issues. I receive local DC news, watch the Caps play hockey live, endless NFL games, ( phone, home TV or laptop options) use a built-in DVR (records up to 50 hours), includes an "on demand" feature, channels that I subscribed to through cable plus extra networks that weren't included in my extended basic package. No Hallmark channels though which is apparently a big deal to some people. Boomerang, Tom & Jerry, hot coffee and a warm fire on a Saturday morning - priceless.

sastanley

Hmm..Having a little trouble enabling my location when I go to locast.org in Chrome, which I did get to run on the Fire Stick. Baby steps.

edit - Still have not got Chrome working natively on the Fire Stick, so I pulled out my old Chromecast I had packed away when we moved in 2018. I can now cast locast.org from the computer, or my phone, full screen right to the TV now...local TV issue solved. Might need a couple more Chromecasts for the other TVs.
Comcast came this week and gave me 100MB internet for about the same price as I was paying for Verizon's 5.8Mbps DSL that cut out multiple times per day. I got myself an Orbi router so I am not leasing Comcast equipment either..

There will be a couple months of overlap while we continue to hunt down the content we are looking for, but I see tossing the DirecTV dish into the street sometime early in the New Year. :blahblah:

Last edited:

imaref

For those that have YoutubeTV, today they added 3 PBS stations and the OWN network, but they don't show up automatically. You have to log in online, go to settings, and then LIveGuide. You have to put a checkmark in the box in front of each of those channels, then move them where you want in your guide. Once you do this and log out, restart Youtube tv and they will be there.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm seriously looking into dropping our dish now. I will probably go with the Fire Stick since I am already an Amazon Prime member ( that is woefully under used given the price) and all I really need/want is sports and my wife loves those trash TV shows like 90 Day Fiance. I saw where NBA TV is available on Fire and my youngest is a basketball junkie so there is that too. My oldest is getting ready to head off to college and he already streams a ton of stuff to his desktop.

We are at $1500/yr for our Dish and that is with no premium channels. I still need to crunch numbers a bit but I'm sure I can cut that by 50% at least.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm seriously looking into dropping our dish now. I will probably go with the Fire Stick since I am already an Amazon Prime member ( that is woefully under used given the price) and all I really need/want is sports and my wife loves those trash TV shows like 90 Day Fiance. I saw where NBA TV is available on Fire and my youngest is a basketball junkie so there is that too. My oldest is getting ready to head off to college and he already streams a ton of stuff to his desktop.

We are at $1500/yr for our Dish and that is with no premium channels. I still need to crunch numbers a bit but I'm sure I can cut that by 50% at least.
She's my Soul Sister! That is my current mindless go-to TV when I'm not paying too much attention. Yet, it completely sucks me in! :lmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Cluck Club ~*~
PREMO Member
She's my Soul Sister! That is my current mindless go-to TV when I'm not paying too much attention. Yet, it completely sucks me in! :lmao:
One of my friends from high school had her daughter and fiance on it a couple of years ago - Elizabeth and Andrei. I have never watched it but feel almost like I did as much as she posted about it on FB. :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
One of my friends from high school had her daughter and fiance on it a couple of years ago - Elizabeth and Andrei. I have never watched it but feel almost like I did as much as she posted about it on FB. :lol:
Really!?! Maybe it'll show up as a rerun! :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Cluck Club ~*~
PREMO Member
Really!?! Maybe it'll show up as a rerun! :lol:
I am sure it will. Just looked and it was 2018. The couple now have their first baby and did a spot on a follow up show called 90 Day Fiance After Hours or something like that.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I am sure it will. Just looked and it was 2018. The couple now have their first baby and did a spot on a follow up show called 90 Day Fiance After Hours or something like that.
A quick Google search finds all sorts of stuff! I'll have to sit down and take a look.

PeoplesElbow

ATSC 3.0 will be huge for us in southern Maryland, it will allow flawless viewing on a much more marginal signal.

If nothing else changes then anyone with an antenna should be able to pick up marginal channels all the time and we may even gain a few channels that we couldnt watch before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0

Goldenhawk

I'll be curious to see if ATSC 3 actually helps with signal distance. There's a fundamental curvature-of-the-earth limitation at play when you get as far from an antenna as we are in SoMD. In looking up a few articles, I didn't find much consistent info, aside from a lot of statements like "may help with fringe area reception." In short, I'm not holding my breath.

Besides, I have little intention of going back to an over-the-air signal that includes commercials I cannot skip...

PeoplesElbow

I'll be curious to see if ATSC 3 actually helps with signal distance. There's a fundamental curvature-of-the-earth limitation at play when you get as far from an antenna as we are in SoMD. In looking up a few articles, I didn't find much consistent info, aside from a lot of statements like "may help with fringe area reception." In short, I'm not holding my breath.

Besides, I have little intention of going back to an over-the-air signal that includes commercials I cannot skip...
Not so much with distance but with maintaining "a lock".

We are well within the curvature of the earth distance to receive signals from the DC channels.