Something wicked this way comes... (Joaquin)

GregV814

well, at the first drop of rain, I will probably run aimlessly thru the streets like a raving lunatic, like a Democrat, fearing the worst, like a Democrat, screaming to the top of my lungs, like a womens rights advocate, that its raining. then I'll go home and watch TMC's best movies...grape gatorade in hand

littlelady

God bless the USA
well, at the first drop of rain, I will probably run aimlessly thru the streets like a raving lunatic, like a Democrat, fearing the worst, like a Democrat, screaming to the top of my lungs, like a womens rights advocate, that its raining. then I'll go home and watch TMC's best movies...grape gatorade in hand

:lol: You are a hoot!

I don't want a hurricane coming our way by any means, but one has to find the humor in all things! And, agree with getbent. The tree thing scares me the most. We had one come down on our house in Irene. We had all the ones around the house assessed; some were cut down. It is a tree in the thicker woods that snuck up and got us! :jet:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I've been "shopping" for a landing craft that can carry one full-sized truck or similarly sized tractor. Found quite a few options.
That is the size we need. Something to get a medium sized John Deere utility tractor over to the island for hauling the trolley car during the blessing of the fleet.

rdytogo

That is the size we need. Something to get a medium sized John Deere utility tractor over to the island for hauling the trolley car during the blessing of the fleet.

Is Blessing of the Fleet still a go this weekend? I was planning on coming down during the day either Saturday or Sunday, but don't want to take the drive if it is cancelled like a couple years back.

GregV814

with the pump gasoline ruining small engines now, I may suggest using the "tru" gasolines sold in hardware stores. Both, either 2 or 4 cycle products, have higher octane and NO ethenol. Use a new filter too.

awpitt

Main Streeter
NHC's current prediction has the storm tracking to the east of the coast. SoMD has a 20-30% chance of getting tropical storm level winds.

Hurricane-JOAQUIN.jpg

SamSpade

For those of you who have backup generators - what do you recommend? I don't think I'll need one this time around, but the storm has me thinking about it.

Obviously it would be great to have a permanent whole house backup, but I'm thinking something more economical for a short duration.
We do have propane tanks that we don't use much (100 gallon or however much is actually in it) but I don't know if hooking up a backup would be easy.

But what's a good choice? I've even seen people recommend very small ones they use for power tools to just run essentials.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
NHC's current prediction has the storm tracking to the east of the coast. SoMD has a 20-30% chance of getting tropical storm level winds.

And it changes with practically each new current prediction cycle. No one here is panicking, but everyone wants to be prepared. So comparing several different sources to make your preparations is always a good idea. Being prepared is NEVER a bad idea. Never.

Me - I subscribe to a couple of different county commissioner's FB pages and receive information that they receive. I also get emergency preparedness information/guidance the local fire department, as I have several contacts there.

It's just about being prepared. :shrug: This tri-county area has a myriad of different weather possibilities, depending on WHERE you live in each county. One person living in an apartment building/house in one of the towns/neighborhoods may have a completely different scenario than someone living on the coast of either of our counties. If that storm comes up the Chesapeake Bay, obviously we over here in Calvert County will need to be prepared in a much different way than those living in Charles county.

When there is a major storm prediction in our area, I always pay attention. :yay:

awpitt

Main Streeter
And it changes with practically each new current prediction cycle. No one here is panicking, but everyone wants to be prepared. So comparing several different sources to make your preparations is always a good idea. Being prepared is NEVER a bad idea. Never.

Me - I subscribe to a couple of different county commissioner's FB pages and receive information that they receive. I also get emergency preparedness information/guidance the local fire department, as I have several contacts there.

It's just about being prepared. :shrug: This tri-county area has a myriad of different weather possibilities, depending on WHERE you live in each county. One person living in an apartment building/house in one of the towns/neighborhoods may have a completely different scenario than someone living on the coast of either of our counties. If that storm comes up the Chesapeake Bay, obviously we over here in Calvert County will need to be prepared in a much different way than those living in Charles county.

When there is a major storm prediction in our area, I always pay attention. :yay:

Yep. Being prepared is the way to go. Saves from having to panic when there's potential for a storm. I like the NHC as they're the central source for all the information that's put out by all of the other sources. Cut out the middleman.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For those of you who have backup generators - what do you recommend? I don't think I'll need one this time around, but the storm has me thinking about it.

Obviously it would be great to have a permanent whole house backup, but I'm thinking something more economical for a short duration.
We do have propane tanks that we don't use much (100 gallon or however much is actually in it) but I don't know if hooking up a backup would be easy.

But what's a good choice? I've even seen people recommend very small ones they use for power tools to just run essentials.

I have the portable Honda EUs (a 2000 and a 3000) and they are great little machines; quietest generators made. The 3000 will take care of "essentials" like refrigeration and some lights. My actual backup generator is a permanently installed Generac 12kw that runs on propane. Depends on how far ya want to go and how much money you want to spend...as usual. ;-)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Us too. We got totally hammered by Ernesto in '06...nearly as badly as by Isabel in '03. But the intensification that we experienced around St. George's Island area was very localized and not well predicted at all.

Us too. We got totally hammered by Ernesto in '06...nearly as badly as by Isabel in '03. But the intensification that we experienced around St. George's Island area was very localized and not well predicted at all.
Remember we were in the direct sight of Sandy and she turned and took out New Jersey instead. That disaster in Jersey could of very well been our direct hit.

We never know down to the last hours what direction the storms will actually take. It would be stupid not to prepare for the worst.

H

Hodr

I have been hesitant to get a small generator because I do not know how I would handle the exhaust, or if I would need to build an external enclosure.

My thought was something large enough to power my fridge (which spikes to 3x its nominal draw when the motor kicks on) would be plenty for the house as the family can live off of phones, tablets/laptops, and books for a week or two if necessary.

I think one of the portable units contractors use to run their tools, paired with a good extension cord (10 gauge/50ft) should get power anywhere I need it. If I can find a way to get rid of the exhaust.

SamSpade

I have been hesitant to get a small generator because I do not know how I would handle the exhaust, or if I would need to build an external enclosure.

My thought was something large enough to power my fridge (which spikes to 3x its nominal draw when the motor kicks on) would be plenty for the house as the family can live off of phones, tablets/laptops, and books for a week or two if necessary.

I think one of the portable units contractors use to run their tools, paired with a good extension cord (10 gauge/50ft) should get power anywhere I need it. If I can find a way to get rid of the exhaust.

Don't people often just - run them outside, and run cables into the house? It seemed to me during the last hurricane, all you could hear up and down the block was the sound of generators running outside.

My thought to use a small generator was to run a cable or two through a pet door and just have it outside.

sm8

I am having a blonde moment but just wanted to make sure you know the generator is supposed to be run outside. There are also solar generators.