Southern MD schools

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Today's the first day HS students go back (at least at PHS). My son is in the "B" group so he goes back next Monday. I really hope this works out for the kids.
You know what really isn't working for the kids at PHS? The football players anyway, is that they are being forced to wear a damned mask while running all their practice plays and when running laps around the field. They even have to wear a mask at scrimmage games. There is an evil sadist somewhere in Calvert County that has made this stupidity a mandatory requirement. Which is ironic since per the "dictator in chief" of our State says that outside activities like running do not require the wearing of masks in order to facilitate proper breathing.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
My 4th grade grandson, who was just so-so about school before, really looks forward to his 2 days a week in the classroom.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Youngest was in Group B and went back to in person yesterday. He said there were 2 people on his bus and a total of 50 kids in the entire school (PHS). :shocked: I guess most parents said screw it and will send their kids back in the Fall.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Youngest said that there is typically only 6 students in each of his classes and already on day 3, some have stopped showing up. He was the only kid in one of his classes yesterday when there should have been 5-6 people.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Youngest said that there is typically only 6 students in each of his classes and already on day 3, some have stopped showing up. He was the only kid in one of his classes yesterday when there should have been 5-6 people.
This is ridiculous! All the tax money that is being wasted right now is a crime.

Are you following that FB page that was started to get Calvert schools back in 100%? They are doing a great job advocating and keeping everyone informed.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
This is ridiculous! All the tax money that is being wasted right now is a crime.

Are you following that FB page that was started to get Calvert schools back in 100%? They are doing a great job advocating and keeping everyone informed.

No, I deleted my Facebook page back in 2019. One of my son's teachers asked him if his parents forced him to come back to school. :rolleyes:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

Reading through some of those posts, my kid isn't the only one that is experiencing low turn out in classes. I agree kids need to be back in school but with such low numbers actually there, I don't really see the point. I can imagine the teachers are wondering why they are there teaching a handful of kids.

Bann

PREMO Member
Reading through some of those posts, my kid isn't the only one that is experiencing low turn out in classes. I agree kids need to be back in school but with such low numbers actually there, I don't really see the point. I can imagine the teachers are wondering why they are there teaching a handful of kids.
Because CCPS is requiring them to do both types of learning! I don't have a problem with them offering an option for kids to do online learning but those teachers should not have to be doing both it's ridiculous and the kids need to be back in school 100% now

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Because CCPS is requiring them to do both types of learning! I don't have a problem with them offering an option for kids to do online learning but those teachers should not have to be doing both it's ridiculous and the kids need to be back in school 100% now
I agree.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Ah. Maybe that's the reason attendance is so low - waiting until spring break passes. If it were me, I'd be dying to get my son back in school.
Not sure. School started back up 3/8 and Spring Break doesn't start until 3/31. I think parents just thought it was late in the year (4th quarter) so why bother.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I can understand that too.
I let my kid decide. Personally, I thought he'd pick 100% online because he was doing well and it was more of a relaxed day than being in school. He picked hybrid which is fine too. I asked him the other day now that he knows that not many kids came back is he still fine with hybrid. He said he was.

black dog

Free America
Remember that Covid can't spread at school. Some of you have guaranteed that.

Potential COVID Outbreak Investigated At Osbourn Park High School (msn.com)

This is across the river in Prince William County.

In February, Prince William County Schools reported a total of 305 COVID cases, down from 899 cases in January. "We will continue to be diligent in adhering to all recommended mitigation strategies outlined by the VDH and CDC," Principal Kane said.

Wow, its out of control......

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Is that the son that you said at one time was a little on the quiet/shy side? Please forgive me if I'm mistaken - I thought you had said something like that when your cat died. It's highly possible that I'm mixing you up with someone else though.
You are correct. Very quiet kid. Me in male form. :ohwell:

Bann

PREMO Member
Not sure. School started back up 3/8 and Spring Break doesn't start until 3/31. I think parents just thought it was late in the year (4th quarter) so why bother.
Didn't the school system issue some "directive" about having to quarantine a ridiculous amount of time if they go out of state, also?

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Grandson goes 2 days, online 2 days. He loves being back in school, 4th grade. He's got 7 classmates in school. I would think a teacher would be loving that, and I think he will thrive with the extra attention.

I was worried about him wearing a mask all day, but he isn't bothered by it.

I find it interesting that more boys have returned, 5 to 3 in his class.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Didn't the school system issue some "directive" about having to quarantine a ridiculous amount of time if they go out of state, also?
Yes but I don't remember what it was. He never goes out of state unless we are visiting Grandparents which hasn't happened since Covid started.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Grandson goes 2 days, online 2 days. He loves being back in school, 4th grade. He's got 7 classmates in school. I would think a teacher would be loving that, and I think he will thrive with the extra attention.

I was worried about him wearing a mask all day, but he isn't bothered by it.

I find it interesting that more boys have returned, 5 to 3 in his class.
Son said they are allowed to take off their masks for periods of time during the day to give the kids a break from wearing them. He did mention that he had hoped with all the money the school saved with not having many people in them for a year that they would have improved the food. :lol: He said it's still crappy.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Interesting. Some base contractors are requiring that too...including the one my son works for.