Speaking of handguns...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I want to take my boy out for a little .22 cal plinking and shooting pratice.
Are there public lands in St.Mary's that are open to to this?
We're talking a 50ft. or less sight line with a pile of dirt at the end.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
I want to take my boy out for a little .22 cal plinking and shooting pratice.
Are there public lands in St.Mary's that are open to to this?
We're talking a 50ft. or less sight line with a pile of dirt at the end.

Yes. May 1st it opens back up for the season. It's come up a lot recently. Search: Myrtle Grove

Novus Collectus

I thought that was in Charles Co on the east side of 301

I was hoping to find someplace less than a hour+ drive away

I tried to look for something in St Mary's code that says you cannot shoot on your own property and I could not find anything. Also, as long as you have permission from the land owner, you can shoot on someone else's property too.
Fifty feet isn't far and most yards should allow it. As long as none of your bullets leave your property, you should be perfectly fine.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I tried to look for something in St Mary's code that says you cannot shoot on your own property and I could not find anything. Also, as long as you have permission from the land owner, you can shoot on someone else's property too.
Fifty feet isn't far and most yards should allow it. As long as none of your bullets leave your property, you should be perfectly fine.

I'm in a subdivision with flat 1/8 acre lots
Don't think I'll do any shooting here :lol:

Novus Collectus

As others have said, you best bet it so find someone with just enough land that will let you shoot on it. A farmer would be your best bet.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
I thought that was in Charles Co on the east side of 301

I was hoping to find someplace less than a hour+ drive away

yep. But, it's the only public range in Southern Maryland.

There's a rule about discharging a firearm within XX distance of a house. If he's on an 1/8th, like I am, he's screwed.

There's a rule about discharging a firearm within XX distance of a house. If he's on an 1/8th, like I am, he's screwed.

I've heard that said numerous times (150 yards), but no one has ever been able to point to its codification. I've searched Maryland Code up and down and haven't found it.

Here are two relevant codes I have found.

From Maryland Criminal Law Code, § 4-108;

a) Prohibited.- In Anne Arundel County, Caroline County, and St. Mary's County a person may not target practice with a gun or weapon or discharge a gun or weapon on the land of another without first obtaining written permission from the owner or possessor of the land.

From Maryland Natural Resources Code, § 10-410;

(g) Shooting or disturbing wildlife within safety zones.- A person, other than the owner or occupant, while hunting for any wild bird or mammal may not shoot or discharge any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards, known as the "safety zone," of a dwelling house, residence, church, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or shoot at any wild bird or mammal while it is within this area, without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant. During any open hunting season, a person, other than the owner or occupant, may not hunt or chase willfully any wild bird or mammal within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant.

I suspect that second citation is where the commonly quoted '150 yards' comes from; although, I could be wrong. If someone knows of a specific code that mandates a particular distance from dwellings for general shooting, I would appreciate its citation.

Pete

Repete
I searched and searched as well and did not find anything. I went to the Sheriffs office Saturday and asked the duty SGT and he stated to me that you can target shoot on your own property legally, provided you have adequate safeguards like a backstop. He also said that if you are doing it during the daytime you are not disturbing the peace either.