Speaking of handguns...

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
I've heard that said numerous times (150 yards), but no one has ever been able to point to its codification. I've searched Maryland Code up and down and haven't found it.

Here are two relevant codes I have found.

From Maryland Criminal Law Code, § 4-108;

From Maryland Natural Resources Code, § 10-410;

I suspect that second citation is where the commonly quoted '150 yards' comes from; although, I could be wrong. If someone knows of a specific code that mandates a particular distance from dwellings for general shooting, I would appreciate its citation.

I searched and searched as well and did not find anything. I went to the Sheriffs office Saturday and asked the duty SGT and he stated to me that you can target shoot on your own property legally, provided you have adequate safeguards like a backstop. He also said that if you are doing it during the daytime you are not disturbing the peace either.

Only when hunting. For target practice the state law does not apply.

Thanks guys. I just checked the code and couldn't find it either. Pete, good to know you double checked with the idiots in charge of enforcing rules they don't know themselves, and that they're fine with it.

APS, check your PM's in a bit.

rack'm

Jaded
I searched and searched as well and did not find anything. I went to the Sheriffs office Saturday and asked the duty SGT and he stated to me that you can target shoot on your own property legally, provided you have adequate safeguards like a backstop. He also said that if you are doing it during the daytime you are not disturbing the peace either.

I had a county and state cop make me stop shooting on a Sunday, saying I was less than 500 feet from a residence...........

This was back in '87

Pete

Repete
I had a county and state cop make me stop shooting on a Sunday, saying I was less than 500 feet from a residence...........

This was back in '87

He said there used to be a DNR 500 foot rule many years ago but it was recinded.

I went straight to the Sheriff's office because they would be the ones who got the call :lol:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
No specific distances are given for target practice in the code, but the catch all seems to be found at Criminal Law § 3-204.
Reckless endangerment - a) Prohibited.- A person may not recklessly:

(1) engage in conduct that creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another;
Now the question is would a reasonable person consider it reckless to fire a weapon in a housing complex or a persons backyard? I think most would. Be safe, find a farm, a public hunting area, or go to a range.

Pete

Repete
No specific distances are given for target practice in the code, but the catch all seems to be found at Criminal Law § 3-204.
Now the question is would a reasonable person consider it reckless to fire a weapon in a housing complex or a persons backyard? I think most would. Be safe, find a farm, a public hunting area, or go to a range.

The peoples Republic of Maryland has effectively shut down or prevented ranges and the ones that are left are membership only unless you know someone and want to go during the guest period for a couple hours a week. I would not shoot in a "housing complex" but I have an acre and a half, 60 yards from the house across the street, 150 to the one on the right, woods on the left and I back up to a ridge at the edge of a mile of woods.

As long as it is not prohibited I am not going to let them scare me off which is why I made a trip to the Sheriffs office to be sure.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The peoples Republic of Maryland has effectively shut down or prevented ranges and the ones that are left are membership only unless you know someone and want to go during the guest period for a couple hours a week. I would not shoot in a "housing complex" but I have an acre and a half, 60 yards from the house across the street, 150 to the one on the right, woods on the left and I back up to a ridge at the edge of a mile of woods.

As long as it is not prohibited I am not going to let them scare me off which is why I made a trip to the Sheriffs office to be sure.
Based on the defined property, and what little I remember from when I was there for that poker game, you might have a safe area to "legally" shoot. But many don't.

Does anyone use the Skeet Club on base and didn't they have a shooting area across the street from the skeet range or is it too much of a hassle to bring firearms on to the station?
Pax River Skeet Club
P.O. Box 333
Bldg. 2039 Tate Rd.
Patuxent River, MD 20670
Phone: 301-994-9120
Open to DOD employees, contractors and guests. Sporting clays events held. Firearms must be registered with base security.

Novus Collectus

Since some counties specifically allow shooting in a backyard as long as no projectiles leave the property, it would be difficult for the others to try and say it is not generally accepted as reasonable.

Pete

Repete
Based on the defined property, and what little I remember from when I was there for that poker game, you might have a safe area to "legally" shoot. But many don't.

Does anyone use the Skeet Club on base and didn't they have a shooting area across the street from the skeet range or is it too much of a hassle to bring firearms on to the station?

Yea, I do have a safe area and we only use a .22. The problem is, as always people who lack judgement who will now be blasting away with a .45 on their 1/8th acre using their old 1971 AMC Matador as a backstop at midnight on a Tuesday. This is what ruins it for everyone and causes draconian laws to be passed.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Only range that I know of locally. I think you have to be sponsored in for membership or be a guest of a member. If you ask around you may find a member. If not maybe calling will give you more info.

Sanners Lake - Home

Are you retired military? If so, could you use the firing range on base?

I don't think there is a range on base anymore..

They have an Archery Range, and a Skeet/Trap range, but the rifle range was too dangerous for sailors..

itsbob

I bowl overhand

It's not much of a hassle. You need to register them on base, and carry the registration with you when transporting on base.

You can't, however, bring your gun/ bow on base to work to shoot after work..

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Don't think I'd let a 9 yo first time shooter blast away at less than a very large hill side :lol:

:lol: That's why you don't let them 10 feet from you until you're comfortable with 'em. I was about that age when Dad taught me.