Spears is pregnant

SpriteZero

Teen pregnancy is not new..

But the fact that Jamie Lynn was such a roll model for so many young girls..and set a good example is the concern of many parents (this one included).

I had a good talk w/ my 13 daughter and she was really put off that Jamie got pregnant....the sex was not the issue, was the lack of available birth control....that was got my daugher upset, that she was so stupid...or that she did it for attention...something a younger sister would do..upstage a popular older sibling...

She could not believe she was so stupid to ruin her career and end up like her sister.

And it was THE topic in her middle school...and still is....

poster

Daddy and Mommy Spears are divorced. The radio said this morning that he is very upset because Mommy Spears was only upset for an hour before getting on the phone and spinning deals for the story. He said she's working on a deal to get $1M for the first baby picture. He seems disgusted.

This was mentioned this morning by a radio talk show host ( can't remember her name ) on channel 9 news. She slammed the mom for throwing the daughter to the wolves.

I had to have a sit down with my 8yr old and explain that these actors are not really the characters she looks up to. Personally I'm hoping they cancel the show, while we wish Ms. Spears happiness in her personal choices we will not support her actions with the continuation of this program, kind of thing.

poster

Kudos, guys. :yay:

Thank you!
We talked about the difference between real life and TV characters.
At 8 I just want her to know they're not the same people if she happens to hear something bad in the news.
But we haven't talked about the teen pregnancy. I'm not sure if, at 8, we should discuss - unless of course she asks questions.

Suggestions?

Owltree

Third grade..right?
A bit too young...I would wait until 10-11. Her girlfriends will be talking about it long before you talke to her..but give her the facts, as her friends will not know all the facts!

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Third grade..right?
A bit too young...I would wait until 10-11. Her girlfriends will be talking about it long before you talke to her..but give her the facts, as her friends will not know all the facts!

third grade is exactly when i found out :shrug:

but i'm a guy, is it different for girls? I went home one day in 3rd grade and asked my parents what the heck sex was lol. wow, their answers sucked btw, but i learned on my own i guess...and through those silly books they gave me. ha.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
Third grade..right?

Many girls are getting their periods at 10-11, so I would not wait that long.

Warron

She's reached puberty, so shes physically able to have children, and she has the money to care for them. So who cares? I'd rather have a city full of her type then a trailer park full of welfare breeders.

poster

Many girls are getting their periods at 10-11, so I would not wait that long.

We've already talked briefly about the difference in boy/girl bodies. Mainly what changes to expect in her own body. I was an early bloomer and don't want a period to catch her by surprise - it can be pretty scary.

We've agreed that if ever her friends (or anyone) talk about "the facts" she'll tell me right away and we'll look up the real facts (because they're sure to be wrong) together. I've also told her that she's not to discuss it with other kids, if asked she's to tell them they should ask their own parents or teachers. I don't want a "why is your daughter telling my daughter" phone call.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
We've already talked briefly about the difference in boy/girl bodies. Mainly what changes to expect in her own body. I was an early bloomer and don't want a period to catch her by surprise - it can be pretty scary.

We've agreed that if ever her friends (or anyone) talk about "the facts" she'll tell me right away and we'll look up the real facts (because they're sure to be wrong) together. I've also told her that she's not to discuss it with other kids, if asked she's to tell them they should ask their own parents or teachers. I don't want a "why is your daughter telling my daughter" phone call.

I am picturing the Simpsons episode where Homer tells Bart the facts of life and he runs to a friends house, setting off a chain reaction of kids running other kids houses "and then the man..." "aaaaauugh!!" "and the woman...." "aaaaaugh!"

Cyurius

She's reached puberty, so shes physically able to have children, and she has the money to care for them. So who cares? I'd rather have a city full of her type then a trailer park full of welfare breeders.

Her type? Her type IS trailer trash....she's only famous because of her big sister.

LordStanley

I know nothing

physically able to have kids is not the discussion. Is she mentally able???

If you want to know, or maybe get an idea, look at big Sis!!!

Last edited:

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly

Nicklodeon is not going to be able to let her keep starring on Zoey 101 if she is going to be popping out a "city full of her type" since that is not the image she is supposed to be projecting on that show so her money would not be lasting but so long. Also, she is a 16 year old girl, famous or not, money or not, and she is not necessarily mentally or emotionally equipped to handle the responsibility of motherhood. Capability to produce a child doesn't make you a good parent and neither does location!

Last edited: