Spicer WasNot The Only One .......

SamSpade

Indeed ....

This guy Vasily Blokhin had no problem personally murdering 7,000 Polish Officers

Yeah, well - *RUSSIAN*.

One article I read compared the Germans to the Mongols - who historically had no problem whatsoever massacring men, women and children by the tens of thousands.
It largely had to do with how the civilization evolved and the differing cultures. I don't think that's Eurocentric bias. I think you can HAVE a culture where slaughtering people isn't regarded as ultimately barbaric by the people - otherwise it wouldn't occur quite so much. I suppose if you live in a society where executions are public and commonplace, and people kill women and children often - you can be inured to it.
The German leaders had learned their own soldiers would balk at it if they had to personally kill the people. Generally, POWs tended to survive German prison camps - they were no picnic, but you went home alive.

My grandfather survived the Japanese death camps, where the survival rate was less than 40%. In many campaigns, the Japanese would round up whole villages and kill them all.
At the end of the war, those in charge of the death camps were burning the prisoners alive.

It amazes me to think that comparatively - the Nazis were more humane than the Japanese - at least as far as POWs were concerned. They had a concept where surrender was honored - the Japanese did not.

SamSpade

Why do you suppose that is, that it amazes you?

Because ever since WW2, the world has come to associate the Nazis as the ultimate evil. It is the worst insult to call someone Hitler or a Nazi or a brownshirt or SS or so on.

We even have "Godwin's Law" because it is so ingrained in our culture we don't even say devil, Satan or hell. We say Nazis.
You want to make a movie about bad guys? Make them Nazis - NO ONE will object, not even Germans.

It's just strange to realize that by comparison, Stalin was worse than Hitler and the Japanese were far more brutal than the Nazis.
Geez, in Burma alone they worked people to DEATH and replaced them with more.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Because ever since WW2, the world has come to associate the Nazis as the ultimate evil. It is the worst insult to call someone Hitler or a Nazi or a brownshirt or SS or so on.

We even have "Godwin's Law" because it is so ingrained in our culture we don't even say devil, Satan or hell. We say Nazis.
You want to make a movie about bad guys? Make them Nazis - NO ONE will object, not even Germans.

It's just strange to realize that by comparison, Stalin was worse than Hitler and the Japanese were far more brutal than the Nazis.
Geez, in Burma alone they worked people to DEATH and replaced them with more.

You make the point. We have come to associate it so and yet it's not true. Not even close. Mao and Stalin FAR exceeded Hitlers body count of their OWN people and Stalin did it before we ever came up with the marketing term of 'holocaust'. And, again, as you illustrate, Japan was FAR more savage than Hitler's worst henchmen ever dreamt of being. You said it some time ago; we're always being manipulated.

That doesn't excuse us for accepting the manipulations in the face of the facts. :buddies: