St. Mary's County Fire Truck Accident

Tech

Let's throw a new spin on this...I was a NREMT-P, and a FF for over 20 years. I had EVOC, and took refresher courses. I never came close to having an accident, AND...I am a woman!! Sorry guys, I had to throw that in. Merry Christmas.

But how many did you caused? :evil:

officeguy

Let's throw a new spin on this...I was a NREMT-P, and a FF for over 20 years. I had EVOC, and took refresher courses. I never came close to having an accident, AND...I am a woman!! Sorry guys, I had to throw that in. Merry Christmas.

OMG OMG, bbubbut its impossible to do that, refresher courses and such.....nobody would have the time......all the volunteers would run away screaming.:cds:

I don't really support your position, my point is the ridiculousness of sending people to training for something which is not a problem when the real problem is the people driving their pov's. Why do they need evoc for that?

The disconnect is people responding in a POV as if it were an emergency vehicle. As stated before, a POV is NOT an emergency vehicle, and shouldn't be operated as such. This is just one of the reasons you may not, under Maryland Law, have warning lights in your POV. Legally, only a Chief Officer of a department is legally permitted to have warning lights, and that is only if the individual department authorizes it. A POV is not granted any form of qualified privilege under COMAR. This means, by law, you can't run traffic lights or stop signs, etc.

The accident that is the subject of this thread did not occur in a POV, but in an actual emergency vehicle. And a couple of weeks before that, it was another emergency vehicle that was involved in an accident while responding. Again, we can speculate on the causes of both of those accidents, but it would be nothing more than speculations. The fact of the matter is, there are currently two emergency vehicle accidents in Southern Maryland going on right now, and how many POVs responding are being investigated right now?