St. Marys County R&P Youth Football League

concerndad1972

pigskin may get in as a club sir, but they are not running the league. the county has finally stepped up to take care of that.

and this whole 75k thing is obviously another bad rumor. i can recall on at least 3 occassions pat murphy saying that riddell donated all of our equipment last year so why in the world would smyfl owe anyone 75k.

Not a rumor at all, that is why Arthur has met with Don and Trude to make sure they will be able to take the North and the Central.

As for Pigskin, they have met with their Board and they are coming back. I heard they are offering tackle football for $50.00. Say what you want, but the people in the North will sign with them for $50.00.

Welcome back Don & Trude!!! Hope u enjoyed your time off because your going to be busy with running the North and Central this season. :yahoo:

footballmom

This is ridiculous. Football is crazy in St. Mary's county. I know from a very reliable source that SMYFL still has and will have the equipment for the kids this season. Don is not coming back. SMYFL and Pax River Raiders go to the county meetings. Why can't we all get along and let the kids play each other. Don't start making up lies to try to get people to wait for Don. Just like last year when Pigskin signed up people and they had to run to SMYFL for late registration. Crazy!!! My children played for SMYFL last year and will again this year.

Zguy28

Not a rumor at all, that is why Arthur has met with Don and Trude to make sure they will be able to take the North and the Central.

As for Pigskin, they have met with their Board and they are coming back. I heard they are offering tackle football for $50.00. Say what you want, but the people in the North will sign with them for $50.00.

Welcome back Don & Trude!!! Hope u enjoyed your time off because your going to be busy with running the North and Central this season. :yahoo:
I think you have lost your mind.
:howdy:

Zguy28

This is ridiculous. Football is crazy in St. Mary's county. I know from a very reliable source that SMYFL still has and will have the equipment for the kids this season. Don is not coming back. SMYFL and Pax River Raiders go to the county meetings. Why can't we all get along and let the kids play each other. Don't start making up lies to try to get people to wait for Don. Just like last year when Pigskin signed up people and they had to run to SMYFL for late registration. Crazy!!! My children played for SMYFL last year and will again this year.
Not to mention that if Pigskin does want to enter a club in 2010, and somehow it is approved, it will do nothing but water down the talent pool of the current clubs, and probably leave kids stranded. Its not personal against Don, its just the facts.

If you signed up with Pigskin last year and were left hanging, shame on the organization. If you get hung out to dry this year again, shame on you for doing that to your kids.

Pigskin coming back can do nothing but hurt youth football in this county.

If parents have any sense at all or care about there children's happiness, they will either sign with the SMYFL or Pax River.

4mykids

If you signed up with Pigskin last year and were left hanging, shame on the organization. If you get hung out to dry this year again, shame on you for doing that to your kids.

i agree for the most part--but with the way things go in this county, i must say i would like some reassurance that this debt to riddell is purely rumor--no truth.

i have seen some other stuff through these posts that seemed like rediculous bs and wound up being true in the end. call me paranoid but i would prefer to be a little paranoid and be wrong than be caught off guard.

so what i am saying is that if you are telling me that i would be stupid if i signed up with pigskin cause i shouldnt believe what they say, wouldnt i be stupid if i didnt try to get some "proof" that this debt thing is a rumor...cant imagine how devastating it will be for me...and anyone else that signs up with smyfl to find out we have no season because we have no equipment. i understand we have the equipment now, but if we really owe riddell money than surely they can repo it. how sad that would be.

hoping smyfl president can come here and reassure me/smyfl members. or a statement from riddell that theres no worries about that happening.

hpneon

I hate to be the one to confirm but there is a debt. But according to Pat its more like 50 something. That is what we were directly told by Pat himself.

4mykids

I hate to be the one to confirm but there is a debt. But according to Pat its more like 50 something. That is what we were directly told by Pat himself.

see i just dont understand that. i know pat murphy told us last year that riddell was donating all the equipment. he even said it at that town hall meeting that the raiders had to announce they were taking over pigskin. not to mention all of the sponsors smyfl had on the website last year.

50 thousand is a hell of a lot of debt. how did we go into that much debt with all the sponsorships?

see, this is how this crap NEVER ENDS. cause just when you start thinking that everything is working out, you find out that rumors arent rumors at all. i would like to know what has been worked out with riddell to ensure we wont lose all of this equipment or even worse the whole organization.

footballmom

What is wrong with all of you people? This shows that you have no idea how hard running a league is. Equipment is not the only thing that a league pays for. There is a light bill, ref bill, equipment, uniforms, cheer uniforms, portable toilets, opening day costs,etc. It also costs to put names and sponsors on jerseys. Not to mention people paid about $50.00 last year to play for SMYFL. If someone owes Riddell or any vendor they do not repo your equipment. Don't talk about debt if you don't know what you are talking about. When Pigskin was selling last year , it was public knowledge that they had debt. Running a league is not cheap. Know what you are talking about before you start rumors. Thank you. I don't think that Arthur Shepherd would be letting SMYFL into the club model unless he knew that the club had equipment!!!! That would be pretty dumb wouldn't it?

4mykids

What is wrong with all of you people? This shows that you have no idea how hard running a league is. Equipment is not the only thing that a league pays for. There is a light bill, ref bill, equipment, uniforms, cheer uniforms, portable toilets, opening day costs,etc. It also costs to put names and sponsors on jerseys. Not to mention people paid about $50.00 last year to play for SMYFL. If someone owes Riddell or any vendor they do not repo your equipment. Don't talk about debt if you don't know what you are talking about. When Pigskin was selling last year , it was public knowledge that they had debt. Running a league is not cheap. Know what you are talking about before you start rumors. Thank you. I don't think that Arthur Shepherd would be letting SMYFL into the club model unless he knew that the club had equipment!!!! That would be pretty dumb wouldn't it?

so you are running a league? the post said smyfl owes riddell 75K, not all the other stuff you are citing. uniforms would fall into the riddell debt. portable toilets??? last i checked parks and rec has toilets at the parks. i could understand ref bills, but like i said, the post says 75k for riddell.

like i said before we all know smyfl has the equipment now. do you really think that a huge company like riddell will not repo the equipment or get a court ordered injunction against its continued use or file a judgment against smyfl if we really owe that much money? now whose being dumb?

i also said i would like to hear from pat murphy on this subject because a) its just a rumor until proven otherwise b) i personally heard pat say that riddell donated all the equipment and c) all of this could be squashed by publishing something from riddell stating that we are ok

i have a problem out of principle if we owe riddell any significant money because i was told the equipment was donated.

as far as what art shepherd does or knows, how the hell would i know and how stupid is everyone to assume he has looked into smyfl's finances

just need for pat to come on here and let us know that we are in good standing with riddell and then we can move on, but dont think for a second that i or anyone else with a brain will have confidence spending 150 dollars with an organization that doesnt pay their bills.

Zguy28

see i just dont understand that. i know pat murphy told us last year that riddell was donating all the equipment. he even said it at that town hall meeting that the raiders had to announce they were taking over pigskin. not to mention all of the sponsors smyfl had on the website last year.

50 thousand is a hell of a lot of debt. how did we go into that much debt with all the sponsorships?

see, this is how this crap NEVER ENDS. cause just when you start thinking that everything is working out, you find out that rumors arent rumors at all. i would like to know what has been worked out with riddell to ensure we wont lose all of this equipment or even worse the whole organization.
SMYFL does have a debt to Riddell. When you figure a helmet and shoulder pads cost around $100, and there were around 500 football players last year, that's a sizeable chunk. Not to mention costs for things like referees (and other things that FootballMom mentioned) that amount to tens of thousands of dollars annually, its a lot of money (around $80,000). Sponsorships were $750 dollars each last year and most registrations were only $50. Do the math, it doesn't add up.

However, we have worked with Riddell to pay it back as we are able and over time. We are working, even now in the off season to fundraise to pay for it.

Riddell stands to gain nothing by "repopping the equipment or anything else. Plus, the folks at Riddell actually care about the youth players (hard to believe from a large company I know), not to mention that they would like a long time customer in SMYFL I'm sure.

As far as free equipment, much of it was essentially free from Riddell. They cut SMYFL such a great deal, that we got very many sets basically for free.

I wouldn't worry about SMYFL going away anytime soon. We are here to stay, and we look forward to bright future playing in Southern Maryland and with the Pax River Raiders. :buddies:

Zguy28

so you are running a league? the post said smyfl owes riddell 75K, not all the other stuff you are citing. uniforms would fall into the riddell debt. portable toilets??? last i checked parks and rec has toilets at the parks. i could understand ref bills, but like i said, the post says 75k for riddell.
I'm not Pat, but let me tell you the toilets aren't taken care of by the County. Nor is any of the concessions stuff. Who do you think paid for the new ice machine at the Lettie Dent blockhouse? Who do you think paid for the toilets and to get them emptied? Or the lights 4 nights a week at the various fields so teams could practice?

It all adds up, and there are start up costs associated, just like a business. But unlike many businesses, there were not any large investors (sponsors put up about $15K) putting up start up capital. Just volunteers working hard in their free time so your kids could have a fun time playing football and cheer.

Pat's email is on the SMYFL website. I know he'd be glad to answer any questions you might have. :buddies:

hollywood33

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I agree with some of what you are saying. I am a supporter of SMYFL. My sons played for them last year. They had to do their own schedule, field permits, weighins, equipment fittings, etc. Pax River just signed up kids and played. In the St. Mary's league they still don't have to do their own schedule or weigh in. Go SMYFL!!!

I know, "Walt" finally made a good point!

hollywood33

Riddell stands to gain nothing by "repopping the equipment or anything else. Plus, the folks at Riddell actually care about the youth players (hard to believe from a large company I know), not to mention that they would like a long time customer in SMYFL I'm sure.

As far as free equipment, much of it was essentially free from Riddell. They cut SMYFL such a great deal, that we got very many sets basically for free.

I wouldn't worry about SMYFL going away anytime soon. We are here to stay, and we look forward to bright future playing in Southern Maryland and with the Pax River Raiders. :buddies:

Great point, like Riddell is going to swoop in and "repo" equipment and kill a youth football league. That's real smart public relations!

Heck even UnderArmour was trying to back out of a few things they promised at the State Tournament and all it took was a few parents calling the Headquarters and they jumped right back up.

So let me do the math, take 350 kids at $150=$52,500....that's covers alot of debt to me! It was $50 last year AND they let kids walk on for free if they couldn't get their money back from other organizations.

yeti

Great point, like Riddell is going to swoop in and "repo" equipment and kill a youth football league. That's real smart public relations!

Heck even UnderArmour was trying to back out of a few things they promised at the State Tournament and all it took was a few parents calling the Headquarters and they jumped right back up.

So let me do the math, take 350 kids at $150=$52,500....that's covers alot of debt to me! It was $50 last year AND they let kids walk on for free if they couldn't get their money back from other organizations.

This is all just too funny.

Every business, for profit or non-profit, has debt. To say an organization is going to fold because they have debt shows a complete lack of understanding. To further say it will be or could be reposed shows a bigger lack of understanding. It’s just not how business works.

If everyone remembers from last year, Pigskin was trying to sell everything to both the Raiders and SMYFL, for somewhere around $90,000. In the paper, it was even stated that this debt was normal and was from the previous years expenses that get paid the following year. Now that it is rumored that SMYFL has debt, all of a sudden the three remaining Pigskin supporters now feel that carrying debt is not normal.

Get over yourselves.

I guess the next arguments we can expect to see are:
Who is SMYFL going to play and what fields will they use……..

Zguy28

I guess the next arguments we can expect to see are:
Who is SMYFL going to play and what fields will they use……..
Thanks for bringing that up.

The official home fields for SMRP YFL clubs were just posted on the R&P website yesterday.

http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/docs/football.pdf

Leonardtown Wildcats (Former Blue Raiders) - Dorsey Park
Lexington Park Hornets - Lancaster Park
Mechanicsville Braves - 5th District Park
Pax River Raiders - Lancaster Park

Last edited:

hollywood33

The official home fields for SMRP YFL clubs were just been posted on the R&P website yesterday.

Thanks for the scoop!!

Honestly, I'm glad the Raiders are onboard, hopefully everone can get on the same page and convince R&P to get these fields worked on!!

footballmom

Thanks for the scoop!!

Honestly, I'm glad the Raiders are onboard, hopefully everone can get on the same page and convince R&P to get these fields worked on!!

That would be great. Finally some good in county competition. Now everybody needs their own home field. Everything takes time. Hopefully, next year this will happen.

Area51

The official home fields for SMRP YFL clubs were just been posted on the R&P website yesterday.

Thanks for posting that link!

That clears up a lot of the rumors and speculation about the 2010 season.

Its a great time for Youth Football in St. Mary's.