St. Mary's County Schools

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I called the school district:

1. Excuse is no power to 3 schools and trees down on bus routes
2. Maybe tomorrow some schools will be open
3. Will apply for a waiver so they don't have to make the days up. Governer's declaration of emergency means nothing. Last year applied for waiver of 9 excess snow days got 2.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by huntr1
I have never heard of showers in an elementary school.

the headache alone a teacher would face trying to get 15 kindergartners into a shower would be enough for me to close school for the day :ohwell:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I was thinking of showers after PE for the bigger kids. Mine is in kindergarden so it doesn't apply. I didn't think of the folks w/o water who haven't showered since Wed.?!? I kind of figured they'd find a way to clean up, go to the river or something...I know I would.

Originally posted by jlabsher
I was thinking of showers after PE for the bigger kids. Mine is in kindergarden so it doesn't apply. I didn't think of the folks w/o water who haven't showered since Wed.?!? I kind of figured they'd find a way to clean up, go to the river or something...I know I would.
These are the same people with appliances on the porch, couches in the front yard, and more cars up on blocks than new cars on a dealer's lot.

SeaRide

Does anyone know why the &^$% the schools are still closed? We're the only place in the area that still has all the schools closed. They are even opening some schools without power.

Who's "They"??

Jlabsher, what were you thinking?

Without power:

1) no working toliets
2) no air ventilation
3) no working lights (gym, classroom, etc)
4) no working water sprinkler system
5) no food in cafeteria
6) no pa system /communication system
7) no air condition
8) no drinking water
( Just to name a few.. )

I have seen fallen trees on some roads where the bus could not safely get through.

Again, what were you thinking?

I, for one, do not want the schools here to operate like those schools in DC ( no heat, no water, poor air ventation, numerous structure problems).

Originally posted by SeaRide
I, for one, do not want the schools here to operate like those schools in DC ( no heat, no water, poor air ventation, numerous structure problems).
And that's AFTER they fix them up!:yikes:

sunnydaze

I AM GLAD THEY CALLED SCHOOLS AGAIN TODAY, BECAUSE WE HAVE NO WATER OR ELECTRIC AND I HAVE 3 KIDS TO GET READY FOR SCHOOL. THERE ARE STILL BACK ROADS WITH POWER LINES HANGING TO THE GROUND! I THINK THAT IT IS SAFER TO KEEP THE KIDS AT HOME UNTIL SOME OF THESE POWER LINES GET CLEANED UP.

Erin

All the roads won't be "clear" and all the 'lectricity won't be back on until next week. So for the minority of the students we give the whole county a week off?

I'm not sure about the whole week, but I'm glad that they didn't have school today. A tree fell across power lines in Town Creek this morning and caught on fire, I am glad there wasn't a bus in route at that moment (timing for bus picking up kids was close).

Originally posted by DoWhat
Schools are closed tomorrow.
TIGGER just PM'ed me the news.
Not according to the official St. Marys county public school website. No news yet there.