St. Mary's GIS

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Have a surveyor come out and stake just the property line in question, not your whole lot. It's not that expensive. Maybe about $250. Then, take your neighbor to small claims court for compensation of the garden, and to have them re-mediate the land back to the way it was. Then move your fence to the line, set it back about 3-6 inches from the line towards the inside of of your lot. It is best to nip this type of dispute in the bud before is gets out of control, which they can. There are also lines called BRL, or "building restriction lines" and "rights of way". I don't believe your neighbor may widen their driveway all the way to the property line. There has to be a buffer. If you do not flex your property rights standing, you can lose this fight. Silence is acquiescence.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It seems as though there are a couple people on here that are pretty familiar with the planning and zoning aspects of the area. Do any of you guys know how accurate this map is?

We have a fence up and left it 10 feet from our property line to prevent future issues and to allow access to other side of it for maintenance reasons. We had a flower bed on the other side of the fence that extended to the property line.

Our newest neighbor (we have had several since living here) has been pushing the property line in both directions. I am friends with the property owner on the other side and they are having the same problem. Everything has been civil and friendly so far and I hope for it to stay that way but I am starting to feel if something is not said he will eventually think he owns my whole house. He ripped out my flower beds to level out his driveway so now there is a 2-3 foot drop along the fence and it has made the fence loose and wobbly and part of it just about to fall down. It was not the end of the world because the people who lived there before dropped a tree on it and it was in pretty rough shape but still function able. We replaced the fence and now he blacktopped all the way up to the fence as his driveway.

According to the map it has the property line even closer to his house and puts almost his whole drive way on our property. I am so tempted to print out a copy and mail it to him with no return address but I am not sure how accurate they are.

Do you live in Joy Chapel Estates?

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

Have a surveyor come out and stake just the property line in question, not your whole lot. It's not that expensive. Maybe about $250. Then, take your neighbor to small claims court for compensation of the garden, and to have them re-mediate the land back to the way it was. Then move your fence to the line, set it back about 3-6 inches from the line towards the inside of of your lot. It is best to nip this type of dispute in the bud before is gets out of control, which they can. There are also lines called BRL, or "building restriction lines" and "rights of way". I don't believe your neighbor may widen their driveway all the way to the property line. There has to be a buffer. If you do not flex your property rights standing, you can lose this fight. Silence is acquiescence.

Yea that, and if you ever decide to sell it could be very difficult when times comes to do all the bs paperwork with the county.

Goldenhawk

This.

Be firm, but be polite. It's absolutely worth the few hundred dollars to know for sure. If nothing else, you will have trouble if/when you sell the house and your neighbor has structures, driveway, or goods on your property.

If you find that the flower bed WAS yours, politely request that he repair it. If he did blacktop your property, it will be his responsibility to remove it at his expense. Don't bring up the whole small claims or lawsuit thing at first; make a good faith effort to resolve it peacefully. If his work was done without proper permits, mention that fact in an offhand fashion, and you'll probably get a bit better compliance if he's afraid you'll notify the county. But if he won't budge, definitely go to Planning and Zoning. I can testify, based on a similar situation in our neighborhood, that he will be REQUIRED to remove the offending and unpermitted features.

I believe you CAN run a driveway right up to the property line. But I believe you must have proper permits for such work, particularly regarding installation of non-permeable surfaces.

The GIS maps are fairly worthless about exact locations. However, I believe you can easily get a actual survey plat of your property from Planning and Zoning. That won't locate the stakes in your yard but it will prove actual dimensions, and probably be good enough to help you find the existing stakes.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just my 2 cents, may have been mentioned, but the only sure way to know is to hire a surveyor to mark the boundaries of your property.
There should be a stake, or a reference point from the original survey when the lots were first documented. You might be able to find that.

merc669

We had that issue a few years back. We went and had a 4 corner survey completed on the property. At the time it was roughly 7 or 800 dollars for this. But it makes a difference when you have those stakes in the ground and also have it filed with Planning Zoning at the Courthouse. I think you better do a survey and get some peace of mind. If he/they are on your property then you have every right to force them to move things....Also normally on a new subdivision a plat is filed to show boundaries along with any variances. I 4 corners or in-depth survey will supercede that platt and make sure it is filed as I said earlier for yourselves but if you sell the house then the future buyers.

Last edited:

SD1492

If you go to http://www.dat.state.md.us look under REAL PROPERTY TAB (Black line area). Then under "Links for Property Search Users" to the first tab (Real Property Search) select you county and the do street address (it's usally the easist way to find your property). Do NOT put Dr., Ct., etc. just the road name i.e. Ringwood Dr. put Ringwood only.
at the tax assememt page that will come up it should have if your lucky at PLAT number something like 43/362 or 43 362.
Then do to this web site http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/stagser/s1500/s1529/html/0000.html
Go to St. Mary's County or whatever county you in go the the first bullet hyperlink. At tghe next page you will see Book No. ___ and Page No. ____ but the 43 next to book and 362 next to Page. If there's a plat you can look at it and find your property. The plat should have all boundry lines, BRL, setbacks, Iron Rods (Property corners) etc.

If you get this print it out and go see if you can find a property corner and work your way around the property based on the plat.

good luck.

sm8

If you go to http://www.dat.state.md.us look under REAL PROPERTY TAB (Black line area). Then under "Links for Property Search Users" to the first tab (Real Property Search) select you county and the do street address (it's usally the easist way to find your property). Do NOT put Dr., Ct., etc. just the road name i.e. Ringwood Dr. put Ringwood only.
at the tax assememt page that will come up it should have if your lucky at PLAT number something like 43/362 or 43 362.
Then do to this web site http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/stagser/s1500/s1529/html/0000.html
Go to St. Mary's County or whatever county you in go the the first bullet hyperlink. At tghe next page you will see Book No. ___ and Page No. ____ but the 43 next to book and 362 next to Page. If there's a plat you can look at it and find your property. The plat should have all boundry lines, BRL, setbacks, Iron Rods (Property corners) etc.

If you get this print it out and go see if you can find a property corner and work your way around the property based on the plat.

good luck.

Your directions worked, I was able to find the plat map. I know what my summer project will be, I am going to borrow my uncles metal detector and see if I can find the stake.

Goldenhawk

Your directions worked, I was able to find the plat map. I know what my summer project will be, I am going to borrow my uncles metal detector and see if I can find the stake.

Cool. When you are using it, and your neighbor comes out to ask what you are doing, casually mention you're hoping to find the body you buried under the offending portion of the driveway. *evil grin*

I was talking with my neighbor who used to deal in real estate issues like this. After the property line is firmly known, the "bad" neighbor has one of two choices: Buy out the piece of property he claims from the real owner. The tax burden is then also shifted to him if he buys it, or return the property to it's original condition. But you have to have a definitive survey or platt.

belvak

Happy Camper
We extended a fence on our property several years ago and couldn't locate any markers in the back of the lot, so we had a survey done where they shot metal markers into the ground. Can't remember how much it cost, but I remember thinking it was reasonable. We used Chesapeake Trails in Leonardtown.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
Buy out the piece of property he claims from the real owner. The tax burden is then also shifted to him if he buys it, or return the property to it's original condition.
If I may ...

That opens a whole other can of worms. Unless the property is owned free and clear, the property owner has to get permission form the mortgage holder, then that little piece of land would have to be surveyed out to be created as a single lot or what's called a residue lot. Almost just like creating a little subdivision. Then, if the buyer wants, they'll have to combine that little lot into the main lot to have just one property tax bill. Big, big, huge expense.

Vince

Like Ken said you should get a survey and enforce your property rights. There is a statute in all states for "Adverse possession" or some call it "prescription", meaning if they use your land openly and you do not object and force them to stop they own the property after x years of use in plain view. In Maryland I believe it is 7 years.
:yeahthat: Had my property surveyed before I built the house. I know where all the stakes are and where the property lines are located. Do not let him put a driveway on your property.

Vince

Agreed, pony up for a real survey.

I was talking with my neighbor who used to deal in real estate issues like this. After the property line is firmly known, the "bad" neighbor has one of two choices: Buy out the piece of property he claims from the real owner. The tax burden is then also shifted to him if he buys it, or return the property to it's original condition. But you have to have a definitive survey or platt.
What they said. Have to get a real survey. Can't remember who did mine, but I still have the paperwork.