ST. MARY'S HOSPITAL

3CATSAILOR

Has anyone noticed that more and more people in our County are increasingly dissatisfied with St. Mary's Hospital? Is it the hospital itself or the Medstar, or both? I am told by several "doctors" they are more about money and not patient care. From talking to people I know that have been there I wonder what is going on there? Is it true that people are kept all day to get the most out of a person's insurance for something that could have been taken care of in just a few hours? When I went there I had very good care. However, it was several years ago. I thought it is a good hospital. Could it change that much over the years?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Has anyone noticed that more and more people in our County are increasingly dissatisfied with St. Mary's Hospital? Is it the hospital itself or the Medstar, or both? I am told by several "doctors" they are more about money and not patient care. From talking to people I know that have been there I wonder what is going on there? Is it true that people are kept all day to get the most out of a person's insurance for something that could have been taken care of in just a few hours? When I went there I had very good care. However, it was several years ago. I thought it is a good hospital. Could it change that much over the years?
Yes it has. Listen to those people. They are all about the money now to the point that many doctors won't make rounds for their patients there.

Mommy Dearest threatened to check herself out the last time she was admitted. She's told me that if she has to go to a hospital, bypass St. Mary's and take her to Calvert.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Well, they are a not-for-profit healthcare organization so I doubt it is a corporate greed thing. However it could be that they might outsource certain functions such as anesthesiology, which service has been taking a hit of late. It's those for profit hedge-fund owned, or stock traded healthcare organizations that are the real greedy ones.

It could just be that the St. Mary's part of the system is overwhelmed by hypochondriacs, which had to increase because of the COVID hysteria. Then add to that the degenerates/lowlifes that frequent the place. Employee fatigue maybe? Since way too many use the hospital as their nonexistent primary care doctor, or are just too lazy to make an appointment for their PC doctor. In addition to the fact that hospitals cannot turn away patients seeking medical help.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was very satisfied with the care I received back in 2021 when I needed emergency surgery for an incarcerated hernia. But that said, I'm aware that many folks have had a bad experience there.

Bare-ya-cuda

Yes it has. Listen to those people. They are all about the money now to the point that many doctors won't make rounds for their patients there.

Mommy Dearest threatened to check herself out the last time she was admitted. She's told me that if she has to go to a hospital, bypass St. Mary's and take her to Calvert.
You will be surprised to know that the Calvert county residents come to st Mary’s med star and say the exact same things about Calvert hospital.

Bare-ya-cuda

Like any corporate conglomerate, it is all about the money. Employees and patients come second.
All health care is about the money. Doctors have to see x amount of patients a day, if they don’t the corporate entity they work for will send them packing. If you doctor has their own practice then they can spend more than 5 minutes with you.

Bare-ya-cuda

Well, they are a not-for-profit healthcare organization so I doubt it is a corporate greed thing. However it could be that they might outsource certain functions such as anesthesiology, which service has been taking a hit of late. It's those for profit hedge-fund owned, or stock traded healthcare organizations that are the real greedy ones.

It could just be that the St. Mary's part of the system is overwhelmed by hypochondriacs, which had to increase because of the COVID hysteria. Then add to that the degenerates/lowlifes that frequent the place. Employee fatigue maybe? Since way too many use the hospital as their nonexistent primary care doctor, or are just too lazy to make an appointment for their PC doctor. In addition to the fact that hospitals cannot turn away patients seeking medical help.

There are those that use the ER as their primary care physician bogging it down.

Clem72

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Medstar is a 501c3. That means non of their "profit" is given directly to shareholders or an owner/founder.

That doesn't mean they don't need to make a profit, and more importantly it doesn't mean executive pay isn't directly tied to profitability of the company.

Here's a quote from an article about healthcare executive compensation from 2009.
https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/healthcare/nonprofit-hospital-ceos-raked-seven-figure-salaries said:
Kenneth Samet, President, CEO and Director of Medstar Health, earned the second-highest salary with $2,647,227 in total compensation. Nearly half of his salary ($1,157,977) came in the form of a bonus.

NOTE THAT HALF HIS SALARY WAS FROM A BONUS. How do you think they determine how much bonus to give?

LightRoasted

If I may ...

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Medstar is a 501c3. That means non of their "profit" is given directly to shareholders or an owner/founder.

That doesn't mean they don't need to make a profit, and more importantly it doesn't mean executive pay isn't directly tied to profitability of the company.

Here's a quote from an article about healthcare executive compensation from 2009.

NOTE THAT HALF HIS SALARY WAS FROM A BONUS. How do you think they determine how much bonus to give?
Dunno. Maybe because he has 3 titled jobs, President, CEO, and, Director of Medstar Health? The Board of Directors think he's worth it?

But if you look at their financials, a vastly substantial amount of what they bring in is spent for patient care.

As for the cause of the failings and shortcomings of St. Mary's Hospital? It's all a guess.

Clem72

Dunno. Maybe because he has 3 titled jobs, President, CEO, and, Director of Medstar Health? The Board of Directors think he's worth it?

But if you look at their financials, a vastly substantial amount of what they bring in is spent for patient care.

As for the cause of the failings and shortcomings of St. Mary's Hospital? It's all a guess.

YOU MISS THE POINT RETARD. You claimed they aren't motivated by profit as they are an NFP and I provided you DIRECT EVIDENCE that their CEO/President/Director derives at least half of his income from bonuses that are paid out of profits.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

YOU MISS THE POINT RETARD. You claimed they aren't motivated by profit as they are an NFP and I provided you DIRECT EVIDENCE that their CEO/President/Director derives at least half of his income from bonuses that are paid out of profits.
Hey dickweed. Read and comprehend what I said and quit projecting. I claimed nothing of the sort.

"Well, they are a not-for-profit healthcare organization so I doubt it is a corporate greed thing."

There is an agency called the IRS that monitors not-for-profits and the compensation that the heads of those organizations receive as compensation. It's all very transparent. Besides, that $2,647,227 in compensation is a measly 0.0395108507% of MedStar's revenue of $6.7 Billion.

But if you want to talk greed, how about SMECO's CEO being paid over $616,373 on revenues of $459,796,369 which is 2.8340607% of revenues. Which is an astounding 7072.87% higher, relative to revenue, than MedSatr's CEO's pay relative to revenue. And you personally get to provide this CEO, monthly, through your electric bill, your portion of her pay. Now don't you feel better knowing that?

BOP

Years ago, around 2005 or so, people would say "Saint Mary's Hospital," and I would say "Where people go to die."

3CATSAILOR

I am told that Fairfax Inova is the best place to go for anything major. They are NOT part of the Medstar group! St. Mary's Hospital nearly screams at you and almost "threatens you" if you tell them you or your loved one wants to go to a hospital outside of "Medstar". One guy I used to work with was in the hospital. He heard me in the hallway when my Mother in Law was in the hospital in a nearby room. He said "Don't go to Washington Hospital Center!!! They will kill you"!!! His screaming was so out of character for him I had to calm him down.

Even if they fix you up at either Washington Hospital Center, Georgetown, University of Maryland or John Hopkins, if you step out of the door at any of these hospitals, you have the potential of getting robbed or killed. Not good neighborhoods to say the least. And a horrible drive on top of that!!

My mother had to go to St.Mary’s ER October of last year for a traumatic fall. She needed immediate surgery at a trauma hospital. It wasn’t easy as the Covid lockdown protocol meant reduction in availability. Her ER physician could not find Medstar trauma hospital so sent her to non-Medstar that could take her immediately. Her medical bills were massive so to this day I am both stunned they allowed it and very grateful.