ST. MARY'S HOSPITAL

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I've never had a bad experience at St Marys. Time consuming, yeah. But everyone I've ever dealt with, whether I was patient or with a patient, was kind and caring, from the doc to the person emptying the trash.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
My wife hates the place and will drive to Baltimore to avoid it. I, on the other hand, have never had a bad experience at St. Mary's. Usually when I go there I end up meeting someone I'd known previously (or their kids) and lost touch with.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The several times over the past 10 years I've used St. Mary's hospital, have had zero problems with the way doctors, nurses, techs and other personnel have treated me. The Billing Department...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Has anyone noticed that more and more people in our County are increasingly dissatisfied with St. Mary's Hospital? Is it the hospital itself or the Medstar, or both? I am told by several "doctors" they are more about money and not patient care. From talking to people I know that have been there I wonder what is going on there? Is it true that people are kept all day to get the most out of a person's insurance for something that could have been taken care of in just a few hours? When I went there I had very good care. However, it was several years ago. I thought it is a good hospital. Could it change that much over the years?
You have to understand what hospitals are dealing with, they have to be all about the money to keep their doors open.. Biden wants to make medical care affordable, and the way he is doing it is making hospitals and pharmacies soak up the cost (loss) of items. He just got his hand slapped for illegally making hospitals and pharmacies soak up 1.6 BILLION in losses, so the prescriptions for patients could be affordable. FOR EXAMPLE: a bag of Saline cost the hospital $45, but per Biden's order they can't charge more than $15, and the government won't reimburse the difference, they just have to soak up the loss, and find another way to get back the $30 JUST to break even, doesn't even account for TRYING to make a profit.

Hospitals can't operate at a loss and keep their doors open, so what do they have to do??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What I found at the St Mary's hospital, I have 2 perspectives. Compared to Calvert, St Mary's was the one that actually listened to my daughter, and treated her correctly, Calvert treated like a drug addict seeking drugs (at 12 years old).

And my complaints really aren't the hospitals fault, but when you have an emergency, you're in pain, you calm yourself saying, ER and relief are only XX amount of minutes away, I'll be alright.. Then you get there, they look at you, and say, Understand you are in pain, but the ER doesn't have morphine or Dilaudid.. HELL if the ER doesn't have it, who does?? Would have been better off going to GMR and asking.

The original Dr I had was not empathetic at all, and caused me a LOT more pain then the table saw did, while telling me we have nothing for your pain.. thankfully she got tired of my screams and sent in a PA, that did an exponentially better and mostly pain free job.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
^When I was in on 23 April 2015, my PCP and his supervisor determined that St. Mary's had neither the expertise or equipment needed to diagnose what was going on with me. They got me up the road to the Uni MD med center in Baltimore. End result was the Stage IB pancreatic cancer diagnosis on 14 May. Have been cancer free since the surgery on 2 June 2015.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What I found at the St Mary's hospital, I have 2 perspectives. Compared to Calvert, St Mary's was the one that actually listened to my daughter, and treated her correctly, Calvert treated like a drug addict seeking drugs (at 12 years old).

And my complaints really aren't the hospitals fault, but when you have an emergency, you're in pain, you calm yourself saying, ER and relief are only XX amount of minutes away, I'll be alright.. Then you get there, they look at you, and say, Understand you are in pain, but the ER doesn't have morphine or Dilaudid.. HELL if the ER doesn't have it, who does?? Would have been better off going to GMR and asking.

The original Dr I had was not empathetic at all, and caused me a LOT more pain then the table saw did, while telling me we have nothing for your pain.. thankfully she got tired of my screams and sent in a PA, that did an exponentially better and mostly pain free job.
They gave me morphine. Twice. It didn't even ease my pain.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Funny the different rules ERs have. At St. Mary's they wouldn't give me any pain meds until after I was admitted and had a room.

When I was in the ER in NY, the doc kept asking if I wanted something for the pain. I finally said yes, and he gave me so much Dilaudid I couldn't see straight. Didn't wear off for about 6 hours.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Funny the different rules ERs have. At St. Mary's they wouldn't give me any pain meds until after I was admitted and had a room.

When I was in the ER in NY, the doc kept asking if I wanted something for the pain. I finally said yes, and he gave me so much Dilaudid I couldn't see straight. Didn't wear off for about 6 hours.
Odd. I was never admitted but after watching me in so much pain, maybe they took pity on me.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

The ER doctor at St Mary's treated my daughter like this.. he listened, believed her and told her, "Relax, we have more drugs than you have pain", and we could see the stress and anxiety leave her body that very second. She was diagnosed that same day with Pancreatitits (at 12).. and they took great care of her..

And he found out Dilaudid was the only thing that even touched the pain.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
One thing mentioned earlier about doctors and rounds. The last couple decades medicine has moved away from that. I'm not sure why, I'd imagine some is insurance driven, but it's rare now four "your" doctor to see you in the hospital. What they now have are doctors employed by or contracted to the hospital (like the ER ones at Calvert Memorial......excuse me, Calvert Health Systems, I don't want to make anyone feel bad calling it Calvert Memorial) as Hospitalists.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The ER doctor at St Mary's treated my daughter like this.. he listened, believed her and told her, "Relax, we have more drugs than you have pain", and we could see the stress and anxiety leave her body that very second. She was diagnosed that same day with Pancreatitits (at 12).. and they took great care of her..

And he found out Dilaudid was the only thing that even touched the pain.
That sounds like you had Dr Perraut, he took over Dr Szkotnicki’s practice when he retired.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
One thing mentioned earlier about doctors and rounds. The last couple decades medicine has moved away from that. I'm not sure why, I'd imagine some is insurance driven, but it's rare now four "your" doctor to see you in the hospital. What they now have are doctors employed by or contracted to the hospital (like the ER ones at Calvert Memorial......excuse me, Calvert Health Systems, I don't want to make anyone feel bad calling it Calvert Memorial) as Hospitalists.
I can understand that doctors are very busy with their practices, but it's pretty frightening that a cardiologist that has been tweaking your meds for months to control your very specific set of symptoms doesn't even have a say in them changing your meds around like you're in some clinical trial for the latest drugs the FDA has approved to treat some of your symptoms. Call me old school, but I like hospital staff to follow my doctor's treatment regimen and not throw a whole bunch of new and different medications my way.

Mommy Dearest was admitted for pneumonia and a house doctor popped in and asked, "How's that old heart doing today?" I suppose he couldn't even to be bothered to read the damned chart for 2 seconds. /rant

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
doctors and rounds
Each time I have been in St. Mary's Hospital, the past 7 1/2 years, my PCP, Dr. Maunank M. Patel, has been in to see me.
When I was in for 10 days last February for the bleeding ulcers, he was my attending physician.

He is very attentive to his patients who are in need of help. He actually listens to, AND hears, what you are saying.
He is also kind of cute, in that, he gets embarrassed when you thank him.

Clem72

FOR EXAMPLE: a bag of Saline cost the hospital $45, but per Biden's order they can't charge more than $15, and the government won't reimburse the difference, they just have to soak up the loss, and find another way to get back the $30 JUST to break even, doesn't even account for TRYING to make a profit.
Kind of ridiculous that a bag of salt-water costs $45 though. Maybe part of the issue has been that the hospital has had zero incentive to seek the best price for their equipment/supplies knowing that it's always paid for eventually.

How do you think they came up with that $15 cap? They probably went out and looked for what THEY could buy salene for and then said "well crap, if I can buy it for $15 why can't the hospital", forgetting that the hospital buys exclusively from the CEO/Founders cousin's company who buys those $15 bags and sells them on for $45 after "cerifying" that they are up to the hospitals standards.