St. Mary's Pigskin Football

Otter

Nothing to see here
The Redskins could learn a few things from those Cowboys. Very clean game yesterday, very few penalities and lot of great hits by both teams.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by otter
The Redskins could learn a few things from those Cowboys. Very clean game yesterday, very few penalities and lot of great hits by both teams.

Maybe coach Spurrier should just learn to scream "everybody on the tackle" until his head looks like it's gonna explode. :lol: I swear that phrase will be burned in my brain forever. :twitch:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by *archimedes*
What position is yr kid playing Christy?

You're asking me that so you can laugh at me aren't ya! :jet: I believe he plays noseguard and center. :shrug: They switch him up on occasion depending on what team they are playing. I just know he's always on the line and every so often I actually see him make a play. Most times it's just a huge pile of kids. :lol:

Otter, what position did he play yesterday? :confused:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Nose guard on defense, was shuttling in and out as an offensive guard on offense. He a very strong lineman on both sides of the ball.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Meant to post yesterday. Christy & Steve, I thoroughly enjoyed the football game. You guys should be very proud!!! Only time I'll ever root for the Cow..er..uh..your son's team. :biggrin:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Div III Cowboys 8-0! Guaranteed a spot in the Turkey Bowl. :thewave:

Big dawgs in the house woo woo woo woo! :thewave: I haven't been able to get that stinkin cheer/chant out of my head. :banghead:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by cattitude
That's exciting Christy. They ARE a good team!!! When is the Turkey Bowl?

It's supposed to be the weekend before Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure it it's been pushed to the week after Thanksgiving since opening day was a week after it was supposed to be. :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Yippy Skippy! We're 9-0! Next weeks game is going to be a bit odd. It will be 9 on 9 since the team we will be playing doesn't have enough players. The coach said the rules will be very different. Any of you football gurus out there have any idea what the difference is (other than the obvious? :duh: ) :lol:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
This is an article that was in today's Enterprise. They don't have articles online, so I am typing this w/o benefit of C&P, so bear with me. I thought it would be of interest to all those who have posted in this thread.

Pigskin complaints handed off to county
While the season is over for the St. Mary's County Pigskin Football League, some parents still carry scars.

Edward Young of Mechanicsville told the county commissioners Tuesday evening that the league is being run in a "dictator way" and that a child could have been seriously injured on the field last month because of poor supervision.

At the commissioners meeting, Young said that on Nov. 20, at a field at Lettie Marshall Dent Elementary School, a young boy fell and hurt his neck after taking a hit during a game. Young walked out on the field with others and suggested that the boy be moved using a backboard.

"At this point, Don Kemp [president of the league] proceeded to tell me to shut up, he's seen these 500 times, he knows what to do and that I don't know what I'm talking about," Young said. The boy was walked off the field and turned out to be fine later.

However, "It was careless negligence in the way it was handled," he said. "I could hardly sleep that night because I didn't hold my ground and insist an ambulance come."

While Kemp himself did not return calls seeking comment in time for deadline. Phil Rollins, director of recreation and parks, said he has spoken with him several times regarding the complaints and Rollins said Kemp denied the depiction of the on-field injury.

"Don's been doing this hundreds of thousands of hours over a 15-year period." Rollins said of his experience.

Young suggested that because the games are held at public facilities, run by the department of recreation ad parks, an ambulance crew should be on standby at the games.

Further, Young said that parents and kids were treated badly in the league by Kemp.

"If you ask to get a schedule, forget it, you're chewed out," he said.

During games, Young said there was an excessive amount of foul language on the field too.

"It's a public park, there shouldn't be that kind of language," Young said.

After these experiences, he said, "My son will not play again" in the Pigskin League.

The county commissioners replied to Young in a letter that said, "Regarding your general concerns, you may know that this program, as well as many other youth sports leagues, is operated by a volunteer board of directors and volunteer coaches. The county's role through (recreation and parks) is to provide safe, well maintained playing facilities and to assist the league as possible with program administration."

Rollins said Thursday that the department and its advisory board are working to bring a set of standards to community sports through a program that would train coaches, parents and administrators.

But at the same time, "We don't want county government dictating to volunteers how to run their program, " he said.

A Tuesday’s commissioner meeting, Commissioner Thomas A. Mattingly Sr. (D) told Young, "It's unfortunate you were treated like that because you were right on target." in seeking aid for the injured player.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Saw that article. I'm torn. Yeah Don Kemp can be an azz, but I've also seen how long they take to look over these kids that have been flattened on the field. I think these guys do have the experience and knowledge to know a serious injury. Is Mr. Young that experienced, or just over reacting? :shrug:

I'll also agree that Don Kemp can be a total jackazz to the parents, but I've never seen him be nasty to any of the kids. To be quite honest, as much as I b!tch, I think he does a good service to these kids.

As far as the profanity, Oh Puh leaze! :duh: I think Mr. Young is more cut out for soccer than football. :neener:

Christy

b*tch rocket
You know, to add to my views on that article. I really hope and pray that we don't get a whole lot of parents like Mr. Young involved in this sport. I can eventually see it turning into touch football and they'll all be wearing pink knickers. :duh:

sunnydaze

I was just saying the same thing Christy, this league is going to be touch football soon. He thinks that Don does not worry about the kids being hurt but this is a man that takes his time to make sure that each and every kid is fit properly into his gear (helmet & pads). He is just a sissy azz that needs to be with the soccer moms.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Christy
Everyone in the football league knows there is a game every Saturday as well, just never the time. I've yet to figure out why it's so difficult to just make a schedule and be done with it. :shrug: Don Kemp is a pain in my azz, but my kid loves the sport and the coaches are awesome, soooo we'll be stickin with it.

One reason that St. Mary's has the Cal Ripken League (formerly Babe Ruth) is because many parents had problems with the leadership of the county Little League. Youth sports shouldn't be this disjointed or controversial.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
From what I've heard from you peeps, not from any dealing with the organization itself, it sounds like they could use some organization, some attention to detail.

It sounds like the coordinators have their first priority down, taking care of the kids, but they forget that there are other things involved. They seem to be in over their heads. It would be much more enjoyable for everyone, kids and parents, if there were more planning involved in the details.

As far as the parent in this article, I think he's aggravated with the lack of organization. He knows that complaining about that seems petty as long as the kids are ok, so he complains from a safety perspective. In his mind, if these people show disrespect to the parents and can't even print up a schedule, how can he be trusted with the welfare of the kids.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Are you ready!

Dymphna said:
From what I've heard from you peeps, not from any dealing with the organization itself, it sounds like they could use some organization, some attention to detail.

It sounds like the coordinators have their first priority down, taking care of the kids, but they forget that there are other things involved. They seem to be in over their heads. It would be much more enjoyable for everyone, kids and parents, if there were more planning involved in the details.

As far as the parent in this article, I think he's aggravated with the lack of organization. He knows that complaining about that seems petty as long as the kids are ok, so he complains from a safety perspective. In his mind, if these people show disrespect to the parents and can't even print up a schedule, how can he be trusted with the welfare of the kids.
It's time for FUN in the fall with Pigskin FOOTBALL. There don't seem to be as many kids as most years but who cares.
If you don't show up you don't play!

smilin

BOXER NATION
September 11 is opening day! Can't wait to see all the football players and cheerleaders line up.
Last year we bought DVD's at the Championship games, it was realy cool!
See you there.