Star 98.3, WKIK and 97.7 “The Bay.”

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Using this line of thinking, likely every small to mid-sized town radio personality or DJ is an obese cow.
I wouldn't doubt it. Back in the day, DJ's took pride in how they looked because many times they went out to promote their stations at certain concert events. Take for instance, The Smash, from DC101 during the 80's. Many times he would promote DC101 and bands at the Stardust in Waldorf. He dressed well and looked sharp. They, DJ's, were the personalities of radio. Stars unto themselves. To not look good, and fit, would have brought dissatisfaction to the eyes of the listener. Today? We don't have any true DJ's anymore. Why would any business want an onsite radio broadcast with the way T and Heather look?

This is work ....

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

I wouldn't doubt it. Back in the day, DJ's took pride in how they looked because many times they went out to promote their stations at certain concert events. Take for instance, The Smash, from DC101 during the 80's. Many times he would promote DC101 and bands at the Stardust in Waldorf. He dressed well and looked sharp. They, DJ's, were the personalities of radio. Stars unto themselves. To not look good, and fit, would have brought dissatisfaction to the eyes of the listener. Today? We don't have any true DJ's anymore. Why would any business want an onsite radio broadcast with the way T and Heather look?
T-Bone and Heather do PR/public appearances/MC duties at the Marine Museum concerts. Frank Dawson also did that there for Country acts as well as going to community events (he, and his wife, broadcast from the Dragon Boat races here the first year or two).

Blister

cerphe-damian-chesapeake-blues-fest-annapolis-daniel-rosenstein-copy-1015x1254.jpg
HIGH, THIS IS CERPHE! Met him at the Stardust when he was on DC101. With Damian from WHFS when we had real rock stations.

Grumpy

If I may ...

This is work ....

Went up and saw the Grease in action at his station back in the 90s. Him and his producer (Bill? Scanlan) were constantly putting together skits and both were great to 15 or 20 people they allowed in for each show. Decent food/drinks were supplied and free..Great time, only drawback was getting up there in Montgomery County at 6am was a pain.

Agee

99.1 worked for a while, cutting edge stuff consumed by demographics. Down in the tidewater area a couple of Universities/Colleges had on campus radio stations, low power affairs but had freedom to mix it up, curious of any attempts of this approach in the tri-county area.
Anyone out there ever dabbled in any radio broadcasting, if you can find a xmitter site do you need a bunch of start-up monies? I think it would be a blast to have a local station.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

99.1 worked for a while, cutting edge stuff consumed by demographics. Down in the tidewater area a couple of Universities/Colleges had on campus radio stations, low power affairs but had freedom to mix it up, curious of any attempts of this approach in the tri-county area.
Anyone out there ever dabbled in any radio broadcasting, if you can find a xmitter site do you need a bunch of start-up monies? I think it would be a blast to have a local station.
At one time in Calvert there was a small community based radio station, "The Tall Tower atop Thunder Hill" was their motto, just off 231. Forget the call sign and frequency number. But was sold, bought out, by a Hispanic owned company for Hispanic listeners a long time ago.

Tech

If I may ...

At one time in Calvert there was a small community based radio station, "The Tall Tower atop Thunder Hill" was their motto, just off 231. Forget the call sign and frequency number. But was sold, bought out, by a Hispanic owned company for Hispanic listeners a long time ago.
92.7 WMJS Easy listening format

Grumpy

92.7 WMJS Easy listening format
I was looking for weekend PT work back in the early 90s and they had an opening for a weekend overnight DJ. I went and talked to the the woman in charge(nice lady) and she wanted me to come in during the week and see what the job entailed. Basically, the job was telling the time, weather and reading local news and canned national news(every hour) and playing canned music. I was interested but ended up that I got put on another contract with my FT employer in support of the Hubble launch, 6 months of hell working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week from pre-launch to the initial checkout of systems after the launch.

ginwoman

If I may ...

This is work ....

Loved the Greaseman. Sometimes out of no where I think of one of his sayings or his stories comes to mind and still makes me laugh. Most recently was "how I love to eat some rotten stinking tuna fish, tuna tuna fish" haha. I went to see him do his radio show live twice.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I kind of got burned out on Greaseman. I used to carpool with a toddler in a man's body that worshipped his infantile humor. He called into the show one morning and you would've thought he had gotten a direct line to God himself. :dead:

rio

I knew a guy in high school who called the Greaseman one morning and got on the air talking about what he'd done the night before with his girlfriend. He came to find out that girlfriend's dad listened to Greaseman too, and that he had a good ear for recognizing voices.... Dude had a black eye the next day, and seemed to be walking funny.