State Bill Would Expand Black History Jan.& Feb

Lee

Dels. Jill Carter, Frank Conaway and 29 other Maryland delegates are sponsoring a bill that would expand Black History Month to include January and February.

While I acknowledge and appreciate that many Americans of all races and religions have contributed greatly to our country, I also believe by emphasizing these difference by celebrating sub-groups is divisive and serves no useful purpose in unifying an already fragmented nation.

Here's a link to the rest: Mobtown USA : Bill Would Expand Black History To Include January & February

SamSpade

Dels. Jill Carter, Frank Conaway and 29 other Maryland delegates are sponsoring a bill that would expand Black History Month to include January and February.

While I acknowledge and appreciate that many Americans of all races and religions have contributed greatly to our country, I also believe by emphasizing these difference by celebrating sub-groups is divisive and serves no useful purpose in unifying an already fragmented nation.

Here's a link to the rest: Mobtown USA : Bill Would Expand Black History To Include January & February

Not belonging to any celebrated ethnicity (I'm a mixture of British Isles and unremarkable Eastern European background) I'm at a loss at what having a week, a month or more dedicated to history does for anyone.

My dad is mostly of Hungarian extraction, but "Magyar Week" wouldn't do anything for me. My mom is mostly Irish but I just don't even get off on St Patrick's Day.

I suppose if I belonged to an ethnic group that strongly keeps their traditions alive in the U.S. that might be something, but I don't recall seeing Italian Week or Greek Week (unless it was college, and that's something else entirely).

W

White Buddah

Geez, let's just change expand our calendars how ever many months is needed so everyone can have a month, or in this crazy case, two. I guess I'll never understand why other than white American ethnicities get there own month.

Xaquin44

Not belonging to any celebrated ethnicity (I'm a mixture of British Isles and unremarkable Eastern European background) I'm at a loss at what having a week, a month or more dedicated to history does for anyone.

My dad is mostly of Hungarian extraction, but "Magyar Week" wouldn't do anything for me. My mom is mostly Irish but I just don't even get off on St Patrick's Day.

I suppose if I belonged to an ethnic group that strongly keeps their traditions alive in the U.S. that might be something, but I don't recall seeing Italian Week or Greek Week (unless it was college, and that's something else entirely).

It's a little known fact that 9 years ago October was named 'Xaquin History Month' .... Pretty much you're supposed to get some taco bell or pizza or chicken ettoufe (sp?) and play some video games. Maybe go to the mountains or the beach for a bit.

It's pretty sweet.

Like they cannot waste our state tax dollars even better than with silly garbage like this? What good does this do for ALL the citizens of MD?

Lee

That is the point. It serves no purpose to think of ourselves as anything other than "Amercians."

Otherwise, we move forward on a path of fragmentation and confrontation.

Mateo

That is the point. It serves no purpose to think of ourselves as anything other than "Amercians."

Otherwise, we move forward on a path of fragmentation and confrontation.
This is a waste of money for something that should be a personal choice, but after all the pandering I have seen lately, it's not a surprise.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

What would be the point unless we use January to highlight the rich history, culture, and successes and we use February to spotlight the deadbeat no loads and welfare recipients, thugs, black on black crimes, the destruction of the English language, and guess who's your baby daddy forum...:whistle:

What a slap in the face to other cultures, idiots...

W

White Buddah

What would be the point unless we use January to highlight the rich history, culture, and successes and we use February to spotlight the deadbeat no loads and welfare recipients, thugs, black on black crimes, the destruction of the English language, and guess who's your baby daddy forum...:whistle:

What a slap in the face to other cultures, idiots...
It would have to be the other way around. You'd need more time for the deadbeats and less time for the successes.
here comes the red

Who axed you ?

:killingme

:roflmao:

THis is what I sent to the bozo's sponsoring the bill... as well as our 3 delegates - wonder what kind of response I will get back from them? :bigwhoop:

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:28 PM
To: 'emmett.burns@house.state.md.us'; 'ben.barnes@house.state.md.us'; 'elizabeth.bobo@house.state.md.us'; 'joanne.benson@house.state.md.us'; 'rudolph.cane@house.state.md.us'; 'jill.carter@house.state.md.us'; 'frank.conaway@house.state.md.us'; 'annmarie.doory@house.state.md.us'; 'cheryl.glenn@house.state.md.us'; 'keith.haynes@house.state.md.us'; 'anne.healey@house.state.md.us'; 'marvin.holmes@house.state.md.us'; 'carolyn.howard@house.state.md.us'; 'james.hubbard@house.state.md.us'; 'jolene.ivey@house.state.md.us'; 'gerron.levi@house.state.md.us'; 'shirley.nathan.pulliam@house.state.md.us'; 'nathaniel.oaks@house.state.md.us'; 'joseline.pena.melnyk@house.state.md.us'; 'james.proctor@house.state.md.us'; 'victor.ramirez@house.state.md.us'; 'craig.rice@house.state.md.us'; 'barbara.robinson@house.state.md.us'; 'justin.ross@house.state.md.us'; 'luiz.simmons@house.state.md.us'; 'shawn.tarrant@house.state.md.us'; 'herman.taylor@house.state.md.us'; 'veronica.turner@house.state.md.us'; 'joseph.vallario@house.state.md.us'; 'michael.vaughn@house.state.md.us'; 'jay.walker@house.state.md.us'

Cc: 'murray.levy@house.state.md.us'; 'sally.jameson@house.state.md.us'; 'peter.murphy@house.state.md.us'

Subject: 2008 HB-418

Being a life long Maryland resident, I have sat back for years watching laws enacted, some good – some bad. Today I read that House Bill 418 for year 2008 is about to go through its first reading on February 20, 2008 at 1pm. I am utterly surprised and can only speculate as to why this bill is being introduced. Here is my thought;

Black history month is federally recognized for the month of February and has been so for years. I have always believed Black History month should have been the month of January to honor the great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. – but this is my humble opinion. I ask why would the state of Maryland, by its lonesome in the United States of America, want to extend this to include the month of January. What good does this do for the Maryland taxpayer? What road are you trying to trail blaze with this type of useless legislation?

The only thing I can figure is elections for your seats are on the horizon, and in the tail end of your term, you are pandering for the minority vote. If this senseless legislation is enacted you can stand in front of the people you represent (mostly black) and say “look what I have done for you!” This is obviously a ploy to have another term to rape the state taxpayers of their hard earned money to do nothing except to dream up more useless legislation and laws.

Is this what my increase of taxes are going toward? I find it rather racists to the non-Black tax paying residents in Maryland, i.e; Asian, Hispanic, White, etc. I also find it nauseating this legislation was drafted and being proposed on our dime!

I have a novel idea, as Delegates sponsoring this bill and who introduce laws, why not open the law books and review what laws we currently have in place and discuss these with the people who you represent. See what can be improved or removed! I am sure more time could be devoted to a worthy cause unlike this. As House Delegates you are the voice of the public with our best interest in hand. Here is a suggestions; how about cutting your salaries to help lower that gas tax which will reflect lower prices at the pumps – EVERY Maryland citizen could benefit from this, not just one race.

AndyMarquisLIVE

This is only the start.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
How can any college employ an openly racist man who vows to exterminate white people.???

The video was cut short when I listened to it, but he did get applause.

Yeah, I don't know if that is what caused him to be a "former Proffesor" or not.

Yes, he did get some applause. Pretty scary.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
This is what I emailed:

Anyone who supports this bill is an idiot, and the person who drafted it is a bigger idiot. Stop wasting my tax dollars on stupid sh!t!!!

Talk about a racist proposal…

C.A. Hernandez
Lexington Park, MD

:coffee: