Stephen King's Cell

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
donbarzini said:
First, he should run, not walk, away from ABC and any other network. He needs to hold out for Premium cable. Most of his books would work much better as a mini-series. Could you see "The Stand" or "The Dark Tower" as a "Soprano's"-style series? You would have to pry me away from the tv.

I can't imagine the DT as a mini series either. It's so so complex. But if they figured out a way to bring it to life and not lose anything...well I'd be glued too.

donbarzini

MysticalMom said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh..but he does warn you. :lmao:

Yes he did. He assumed that "Constant Reader" would stop where he originally ended. But(As John Lennon said) "I just had to look, having read the book.". And you know what I did? I laughed and shook my head. Should have seen it coming. Roland is nothing if not Sisyphus pushing that boulder up the hill only to have it roll down the other side. He is gonna have to do it until "Ka" has determined that he got it right. And that means that his entire "Ka-Tet" survives to see the Tower. If they die in the final battle, so be it. But "Ka" has determined that they all deserve to see the Tower.

Wow! My ex-wife was right. I guess I am a geek.

donbarzini

Toxick said:
How about the new version of It that's about ready to get underway:

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6236

I'll say it again. He needs to take his stuff to premium cable. Even basic cable has restrictions and limitations(money/censors/time) that will prevent it from being presented properly. Make the premiere a two hour movie and then 1 hour weekly shows after that until the end. Cutting "It" to a 4hr "mini-series" doesn't allow you to "connect" with all of the characters.

Toxick

Splat
donbarzini said:
Cutting "It" to a 4hr "mini-series" doesn't allow you to "connect" with all of the characters.

This is so true. I think they had a great cast in the original miniseries, but due to time limitations, they left out much of the best stuff of the story - which is the characterizations of each one of the losers. The book was rich in its characterizations, but the movie made them into little more than nerd archtypes.

They also left out the Ritual of CHUD/out in the void part - which in my opinion WAS the book. They completely neglected the otherworldly nature of It, and made It into a simple shapeshifting monster.

Not even a passing mention of the turtle.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Toxick said:
This is so true. I think they had a great cast in the original miniseries, but due to time limitations, they left out much of the best stuff of the story - which is the characterizations of each one of the losers. The book was rich in its characterizations, but the movie made them into little more than nerd archtypes.

They also left out the Ritual of CHUD/out in the void part - which in my opinion WAS the book. They completely neglected the otherworldly nature of It, and made It into a simple shapeshifting monster.

Not even a passing mention of the turtle.
Of course they left out the meat of it, because then they'd have to connect the movies the way all the books are connected. Actually I haven't seen it and won't see the new one. I have a fear of clowns so the whole "It" thing doesn't work for me. It's getting worse now that I'm in the middle of Dean Koontz's "Life Expectancy".

bresamil said:
Of course they left out the meat of it, because then they'd have to connect the movies the way all the books are connected. Actually I haven't seen it and won't see the new one. I have a fear of clowns so the whole "It" thing doesn't work for me. It's getting worse now that I'm in the middle of Dean Koontz's "Life Expectancy".
Howdy!

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
bresamil said:
Of course they left out the meat of it, because then they'd have to connect the movies the way all the books are connected.

I dunno - I think they can get away with doing the Chud/Void thing without making connections and leave it as a standalone movie. When I read It, lo those many years ago, it was before King started turning all of his novels into a single breathing entity. And it worked well as a standalone.

bresamil said:
Actually I haven't seen it and won't see the new one. I have a fear of clowns so the whole "It" thing doesn't work for me. It's getting worse now that I'm in the middle of Dean Koontz's "Life Expectancy".

Yeah - some people have a thing for clowns. I guess that's why King picked a clown to be the avatar of It.

I have about 4 Koontz books that i need to get moving on. I have Prodigal Son, Life Expectancy, Odd Thomas, and From the Corner of His Eye all sitting there, unread.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Toxick said:
I dunno - I think they can get away with doing the Chud/Void thing without making connections and leave it as a standalone movie. When I read It, lo those many years ago, it was before King started turning all of his novels into a single breathing entity. And it worked well as a standalone.

Yeah - some people have a thing for clowns. I guess that's why King picked a clown to be the avatar of It.

I have about 4 Koontz books that i need to get moving on. I have Prodigal Son, Life Expectancy, Odd Thomas, and From the Corner of His Eye all sitting there, unread.
I've read Odd Thomas and From the Corner of His Eye. Both were good. I'm avoiding his 2 part Frankenstein. No clue why, just doesn't appeal to me.

Toxick

Splat
bresamil said:
I'm avoiding his 2 part Frankenstein. No clue why, just doesn't appeal to me.

Did you read the first one? Was it any good? All the plot synposes I've read sound like cover blurbs, and advertisements.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
MysticalMom said:
Oh and I LOVED the Dark Tower. Except for the ending. The ending I could have strangled him for.
:yeahthat: You mean I went thru all that crap just for Roland to start over. Y*&#(&#*#&(*

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
donbarzini said:
"The Mist"
Absolutely my favorite, thu i read it too young. Probably explains why I hate going to the grocery store. :twitch:

I have to agree The Stand tied all of it together for me too.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Ok all this talk about Stephen King maybe ya'll will know. Do they sell a complete box set?? I remember seeing one that had like 3 movies in it. I have the Stand which by they way I think is one of the best movies ever.

donbarzini

migtig said:
Absolutely my favorite, thu i read it too young. Probably explains why I hate going to the grocery store. :twitch:

I have to agree The Stand tied all of it together for me too.

According to King's website, Darabont is supposed to be making a movie of The Mist. The one I'd like to see tackle King is Robert Rodriguez. Could you imagine his version of The Stand?

donbarzini

Magnum said:
Ok all this talk about Stephen King maybe ya'll will know. Do they sell a complete box set?? I remember seeing one that had like 3 movies in it. I have the Stand which by they way I think is one of the best movies ever.

I haven't seen a "complete" set. But then with all the books and short stories he's had made into movies, you would need to carry them home in the bed of a pickup truck. I usually see one good one and two stinkers wrapped together
Like "Carrie" with "Maximum Overdrive" and "Tommyknockers"

Magnum

Should be Huntin
donbarzini said:
I haven't seen a "complete" set. But then with all the books and short stories he's had made into movies, you would need to carry them home in the bed of a pickup truck. I usually see one good one and two stinkers wrapped together
Like "Carrie" with "Maximum Overdrive" and "Tommyknockers"
I think that is the same set I have seen.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
donbarzini said:
According to King's website, Darabont is supposed to be making a movie of The Mist. The one I'd like to see tackle King is Robert Rodriguez. Could you imagine his version of The Stand?
It would make the book look sober in comparison. I just watched his "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" - exceptionally campy. I wouldn't have understood his methods if I didn't know he and Tarentino are very tight. They definitely have the same outrageous in your face style.

donbarzini

Yeah he is a little over the top, but he is sincere about staying true to the author's "vision". And he is a genius at casting. Did you see "Sin City"? There wasn't a false note in that movie. I even enjoyed Mickey Rourke who is a buffoon. And his use of music to set a mood is better than any I've ever seen!

Last edited: