Stock Market is tanking!

BOP

Energy/petroleum. Solar/photovoltaic cell manufacturers. Domestic steel.

Certainly there have been periods of better returns. But anyone who blames Biden is just willfully ignorant and lazy.
I don't think they're blaming Biden personally; they're blaming him as emblematic of an entire regime that seems bound and determined to not only take away any gains made under Trump, but to punish the entire country for those successes. You know, the ones Brandon is currently trying to claim as his own?

BOP

I bought 66-77 Broncos for $1200 that I sold for 4-5 times that. And I screwed up by selling early...some of them were eventually worth 10-15 times what I paid for them. Timing...its everything..
I did that sort of thing...not Broncos, but whatever I could find. I actually did really well at it over the years. The problem is, I drank the vast majority of the profits, so I was always struggling, not just to purchase vehicles, but to buy parts and supplies, or to have stuff done (like rewinding motors) that I did not know how to do.

Clem72

Not true, I often work Saturdays supporting flights, no way in hell I'd do it for free. One year, when I was a GS-9 I worked 1000 hrs of OT.
Yeah, this is very dependent on the agency and job. Work in the office, probably not going to get OT (especially if you are above the OT limit of GS-10 Step 1 * 1.5 when you only get straight time for OT). If you work on a carrier though, you will do mandatory OT.

BOP

next year or two are gonna be tough for poor people. Prices aren't coming down. Everyone clamored for higher wages and better benefits, this is the result. Of course Biden choosing to ignore inflation during his entire first year in office is just making it worse.
He didn't just ignore it; he flat out denied it.

Oh, look! Chinese weather balloons!

OccamsRazor

Yeah, this is very dependent on the agency and job. Work in the office, probably not going to get OT (especially if you are above the OT limit of GS-10 Step 1 * 1.5 when you only get straight time for OT). If you work on a carrier though, you will do mandatory OT.
This may be why my neighbor told me no OT available. Most of the people he supervises are higher on the pay scale. I believe he is a GS-14/15 or equivalent.

inquiryjv

Oh, I know those market dips can be a bit nerve-wracking, but it's a part of the game. Remember, it's not just about stocks these days. If you're interested in diversifying and exploring different investment options, you might want to check out the new crypto listings at https://presale.world/launches/recent. It's a great way to stay updated on the latest crypto projects and opportunities.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Oh, I know those market dips can be a bit nerve-wracking, but it's a part of the game. Remember, it's not just about stocks these days.
My wife and I follow the investment principle of Dollar Cost Averaging.
We re-invest the dividends and let things ride.
Price goes down, dividends buy more share, goes up, fewer shares.
Result is more shares and more dividends.

phreddyp

My wife and I follow the investment principle of Dollar Cost Averaging.
We re-invest the dividends and let things ride.
Price goes down, dividends buy more share, goes up, fewer shares.
Result is more shares and more dividends.
That is a great strategy for medium and long term goals, however I always keep some money on the sidelines in short term T-Bills separate from my bond funds for when the market really takes a dump. It is amazing what a boost your savings get by buying when everyone is running for the exits and you have extra cash to buy the securities you always wanted at fire sale prices, especially dividend stocks. But I understand that this is not for everyone but I am very comfortable in retirement by doing this.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
That is a great strategy for medium and long term goals, however I always keep some money on the sidelines in short term T-Bills separate from my bond funds for when the market really takes a dump. It is amazing what a boost your savings get by buying when everyone is running for the exits and you have extra cash to buy the securities you always wanted at fire sale prices, especially dividend stocks. But I understand that this is not for everyone but I am very comfortable in retirement by doing this.
It's been our strategy since we wed in mid-82. Retirement won't be cushy, but we'll be comfortable.

elewawike

Dollar Cost Averaging is a great way to ride out the market's ups and downs while reinvesting dividends. It's all about the long game. I totally get keeping some cash on the sidelines for those market dips. Snatching up bargains when others are panicking can indeed give your savings a boost. Fire sale prices on dividend stocks can be golden opportunities. As for diversifying into crypto, have you ever considered a crypto wallet as a service? It's a way to expand your portfolio and add another layer of security to your investments.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Dollar Cost Averaging is a great way to ride out the market's ups and downs while reinvesting dividends. It's all about the long game. I totally get keeping some cash on the sidelines for those market dips.
We do keep 3 years of weekly expenses in the bank.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We do keep 3 years of weekly expenses in the bank.
I've got about 3 weeks in reserve...although that would have to come out of my long-term retirement funds, which should be good for about 60 days otherwise.

Follow me for investment advice.

black dog

Free America
I've got about 3 weeks in reserve...although that would have to come out of my long-term retirement funds, which should be good for about 60 days otherwise.

Follow me for investment advice.
I'll give you $2,500 for the rusty Pantara sitting in your yard amongst all those yard yachts just oxidizing back to mother earth.
And that price is delivered to Indiana.