Stop whining about Trump's golf costs

This_person

Well, that's why. You feel there should have never been any investigation. I feel otherwise and certainly wouldn't say "there was no purpose" for it.

The reason I say there was no purpose is contained within the report - the tasking memo asked them to look into something that was not against the law, so they chose to look into something else. The leadership of both investigative agencies knew, before the start of the investigation, that there was nothing to investigate.

When you go into an investigation with an order to look at something you have no jurisdiction over to find something you already know is not there, there was no purpose for it from a taxpayer's point of view.

Chris0nllyn

The reason I say there was no purpose is contained within the report - the tasking memo asked them to look into something that was not against the law, so they chose to look into something else. The leadership of both investigative agencies knew, before the start of the investigation, that there was nothing to investigate.

When you go into an investigation with an order to look at something you have no jurisdiction over to find something you already know is not there, there was no purpose for it from a taxpayer's point of view.

The tasking report ("the order") specifically spells out the scope of the investigation. That the SC is to investigate Russian interference and anything that comes from that investigation. They didn't "choose" to look into something else. Hence the title of the order; "Appointment of Special Counsel to Investigate Russian Interference with the 2016 Presidential Election and Related Matters."
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4429989-Rod-Rosenstein-memo-outlining-scope-of-Mueller.html

The Acting AG is who gave the order after confirmation from the FBI. They have no jurisdiction over the report?

There was very much a purpose to it.

This_person

The tasking report ("the order") specifically spells out the scope of the investigation. That the SC is to investigate Russian interference and anything that comes from that investigation. They didn't "choose" to look into something else. Hence the title of the order; "Appointment of Special Counsel to Investigate Russian Interference with the 2016 Presidential Election and Related Matters."
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4429989-Rod-Rosenstein-memo-outlining-scope-of-Mueller.html

The Acting AG is who gave the order after confirmation from the FBI. They have no jurisdiction over the report?

There was very much a purpose to it.
Read the third full paragraph of page 2 of the report

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I see the hypocrisy in complaining about Obama and not Trump, just like complaining about Trump and not Obama. Those are strongly hypocritical, both of them (is seeing and discussing one hypocritical when the other is not mentioned, too?).

Where I do not see hypocrisy is in thinking that wasting millions on an act that there was no purpose in is comparable to spending money on a vacation. Vacations cost a lot, and for presidents they cost way more. This is pretty obvious to even the most stupid among us (yes, Sappy, I'm talking to you with that). But, the comparison is in the merit. If we spend $35M on a solid gold submarine, knowing it would sink and never resurface, that would be a waste of money (see: Mueller Report). If we spend $100M on a world class nuclear submarine, and include $25k to furnish the CO's stateroom with awesome furniture, we could easily complain about the $25K (or, a portion of it, since the CO actually does need some furniture), but not the $100M because that's a cost of doing business.

Similarly, if we spend $100M on vacations, we can say that is arguably more than we hoped to spend, or that maybe he didn't need to go to a plush resort or something, but that's peanuts of complaint about the overall $100M. Meanwhile, we spent $35M on something that never needed done, and was a total waste from every angle.

Yes, the argument has been made that investigations were continued under this hat that happened to already be happening before it and would have resulted in the money they recouped anyway, but since they were finished under the hat of a completely different intended investigation we should take credit for funds recovered. Kind of like saying you owe me for the oxygen you're breathing because I just mentioned it even though you already had all your oxygen without me mentioning it. No reasonable person would conflate those things like that, but the argument has been made.
But Trump flat out lied when he said he wouldn't be golfing during his tenure, his "I won't have time to play golf" has morphed into "I'll make time".

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The man is not allowed to change his mind ...
No, he saw BO do it and went out of his way to specifically say this, then went and did it anyways. It was a a lie and he's a hypocrite no two ways about it.

This_person

But Trump flat out lied when he said he wouldn't be golfing during his tenure, his "I won't have time to play golf" has morphed into "I'll make time".
I agree. Kind of like Obama’s “I won’t rest until...” statements. No one with any sense believes these things.

This_person

No, he saw BO do it and went out of his way to specifically say this, then went and did it anyways. It was a a lie and he's a hypocrite no two ways about it.
Have you ever seen a politician for whom this is not true?

But, the original statement of mine you highlighted was about complaining about the costs. Surely everyone complaining about Trump’s costs but defending Obama’s costs is the same level of hypocrites

Chris0nllyn

But, the original statement of mine you highlighted was about complaining about the costs. Surely everyone complaining about Trump’s costs but defending Obama’s costs is the same level of hypocrites

What about those of us who complain about both?

Sapidus

Have you ever seen a politician for whom this is not true?

No one is doing that. You are as usual making a false comparison.

Trump has spent nearly as much as Obama did in his two full terms a portion of which is going back into his companies.

Why is that so difficult for you to understand.

The only thing you point to is that Obama unknowingly made $5000 from the sale of his books which he had no control or direction over.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Trump has spent nearly as much as Obama did in his two full terms a portion of which is going back into his companies.

This_person

No one is doing that. You are as usual making a false comparison.

Why is that so difficult for you to understand.

The only thing you point to is that Obama unknowingly made $5000 from the sale of his books which he had no control or direction over.
Did Obama spend too much?

This_person

Why would i waste my time explaining this to you for the hundredth time? Feel free to go back and review any of my previous answers to the question or are you also suffering dementia like Trump?
Given your undying love for a politician, I'm going to guess you'd say that he did not spend too much on vacations.

He did. So, you're wrong.

Given your drastic hatred for Trump, you find Trump's vacation costs too much.

You're right, but what are you gonna do about it? Same thing everyone with intelligence did about it regarding Obama's wasteful spending: Nothing. There's nothing you or I can do. Unless and until we put limits on our elected officials' travel costs and vacation time, there's not a damned thing we can do.

You're a hypocrite for being angry at one and not at the other. You're an idiot for shouting at the wind in terms of thinking complaining is going to change a single person's point of view.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You're a hypocrite for being angry at one and not at the other. You're an idiot for shouting at the wind in terms of thinking complaining is going to change a single person's point of view.

He is suffering from his NPC Programming ..... there is NO critical thinking involved ONLY :cds: about Trump