Student Loans

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Then, lets make a deal; let those kids have a choice, a do-over. In exchange for writing off their debt and having a worthless degree, they get to go do Nat Guard or something of the kind.

They can do that now.. 3 years in the Army all is forgiven.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And football teams are full of NFL caliber talent, gotta fill that stadium.

Depending on the school, the bigger schools football programs produce millions in revenue for their schools.. They are usually a positive asset making much more than they cost..

BUT those same schools may have more administrative employees than Professors.. and of course HUGE salaries for their staff,

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They can do that now.. 3 years in the Army all is forgiven.

And again, I make the point; that is good for a few, some but, again, the overall numbers are problematic. How many we really gonna accept the military before that door closes?

PeoplesElbow

And again, I make the point; that is good for a few, some but, again, the overall numbers are problematic. How many we really gonna accept the military before that door closes?

Its been a program for a long time, I tried to take advantage of it in 1997 but failed the physical. So far that door has been open for at least 19 years.

pelers

As I recall, before accepting a student loan you are required to do some sort of "loan education program" which is a pretty quick and painless online multiple-choice question thing. I think it would be a lot more helpful if they were to revamp that. Run some fairly realistic numbers, you're in a 4 year program taking out $X per semester, so come the end of your degree your repayment amount is going to look like this. Your planned degree is in this field, here are some average salaries for that job. How is your take home looking?

Most people these days that are heading off to college are having their first out-of-nest experience. Most of them haven't lived on their own before so have no idea of the costs to maintain a household. They don't know how much rent is, how much utilities are, how much groceries cost. They sign up for the max loan amount available each semester having absolutely no idea what it's going to do to them after they are done with school to pay that back.

Some practical education won't help everyone, but I'm betting there are enough people out there whose heads will spin when they see how much they're going to be expected to pay back each month. It might make them rethink that degree in underwater basket weaving.